The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Twin speaker and cabinet
Clinton Zimmerman

Memphis,Mo
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 1:25 pm    

Hi guys i would like to know which speakers are good to use with a split twin reverb in 15" and 12" and what you prefer and why you prefer it. I think i will split mine.
Also do speaker cabinets need to be made a certian way for sound quality.

Thanks Clint

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 2:03 pm    

I have a rick Johnson cab with 2x12 California Weber’s with the aluminum dust caps. I think it sounds awesome.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 12:39 am    

As soon as I can afford it, I'm going to have Rick Johnson split the cabs for my '73 Twin. With a stroke of luck, I acquired an old pair (80 or so numbers difference in the serial #) of JBL K-120s that had a factory recone in 2013 and had never been used. They sound really good and, when I get my cabinet made, it will have a real piece of wood as the soundboard to mount them in (as opposed to the particle board original). Then, they should sound even better. I have thought of having a cabinet made for a 15" as well. Rick has been highly recommended, is a super nice guy, and, if his cabs are good enough for LLoyd Green and other top Nashville players,... well, that kind of speaks for itself. you can check out his site for answers to your question about cabinet construction.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 7:09 am    

Just want to say I recently made the move to get a Showman amp head and a 2x12 to break up the weight just like you two are doing.

It is so worth it. I felt like my arm was going to rip out every time I lifted my old Pro Reverb. I will never go back to a heavy combo amp again.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 10:25 pm     Splitting The Twin.

I have my Twin split with choices of speaker combinations. A single 2-12 cab w/JBL D-120F’s, 2 single 112 cabs w/EVM 12L’s, and 2 single 115 cabs w/JBL D-140’s. I built these cabs open back with 3/4 paint grade cabinet plywood, given to me by a friend. So, with $150 bucks in Tolex, handles, and corners, I’ve got easier transport. I do prefer JBL’s, and EV speakers, but l’m sure the new Eminence TT and PF’s are great speakers. As far as cabinet size, I don’t think it matters with an open back. If you’re not going to build these yourself, I would recommend Rick Johnson.

Clinton Zimmerman

Memphis,Mo
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 5:06 pm    

That setup looks good Bill maybe i will build a cabinet myself and put my ev speakers in them. Thanks guys

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 7:15 pm    

I split my Twin Reverb once. I decided it was more trouble to deal with the two pieces and soon put it back the combo cab. The combo takes up less room in the van, less room on stage and weighs less than the split cab and head.

I prefer JBL and Altec speakers with aluminum dust caps in a Twin Reverb. They both have that magical, shiny top end. No preference between 12s or 15s. I have an Altec 418b in my Twin. I would like to try the Eminence neo to see how it compares. It would be nice to save a little weight but I hate to sacrifice any tone.

Clinton Zimmerman

Memphis,Mo
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 8:06 pm    

Both of the the speakers in my amp are ev speakers that wiegh twenty pounds a piece and the total wieght is of the amp is about 90 lbs . love the sound of it but it just wieghs to much and the cabinet needs new tolex so I was going to have a cedar head cab made and maybe put the ev's in separate cabs.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 10:33 pm     The Weight.

My EVM-12L’s weigh in at 28lbs. each, the 15” JBL D-140 F’s weigh in at 37lbs. each, The 2-12 JBL D-120F’s weighs a shade over 62lbs. Much easier on the screwed together back, rather than that 90lbs. Twin Reverb w/JBL’s, even though the Twin head still weighs 50lbs. I can handle it.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 2:44 am     Re: The Weight.

Bill L. Wilson wrote:
My EVM-12L’s weigh in at 28lbs. each, the 15” JBL D-140 F’s weigh in at 37lbs. each, The 2-12 JBL D-120F’s weighs a shade over 62lbs. Much easier on the screwed together back, rather than that 90lbs. Twin Reverb w/JBL’s, even though the Twin head still weighs 50lbs. I can handle it.

That’s a beautiful setup you have. Regarding the weight I’m in the same boat. The head head is heavy but I can manage it. Everytime I lifted my combo I felt like my arm was going to fall off.