The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Power Conditioner
Joel Hill

Ridgeland, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 10:10 am    

I am getting a lot of noise from my '71 Twin and was wondering if anyone has used a power conditioner to limit some of the noise. I bought a Boss NS 2 that does quiet down the hissing when not playing but the hissing returns as soon as I start playing. I am pretty sure its Rf interference from the single coil pickup but I don't want to change it. The amp has just been worked on at the local shop and had capacitors and some resistors replaced. My Roland Cube is super quiet. I am using a Lexicon for effects and a Peavey EQ all rack mounted. I also use a Furman rack mounted surge protector but it doesn't have A/C line filters in it. An input would be appreciated.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 10:30 am     Re: Power Conditioner

Joel Hill wrote:
I am getting a lot of noise from my '71 Twin and was wondering if anyone has used a power conditioner to limit some of the noise. I bought a Boss NS 2 that does quiet down the hissing when not playing but the hissing returns as soon as I start playing. I am pretty sure its Rf interference from the single coil pickup but I don't want to change it. The amp has just been worked on at the local shop and had capacitors and some resistors replaced. My Roland Cube is super quiet. I am using a Lexicon for effects and a Peavey EQ all rack mounted. I also use a Furman rack mounted surge protector but it doesn't have A/C line filters in it. An input would be appreciated.

Your Twin needs service and no power conditioner will help you. Sorry

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 10:34 am    

In most cases, such as yours, external power "conditioners", "filters", etc are not really going to do any good. Since the Roland Cube is quiet that reverts back to the Twin Reverb. Some of it can be tubes, some bad/marginal components. "Cold" solder joints have always been a problem with Fender amps. I've fixed a lot of Fender amps, when I was doing amp repair, by resoldering connections. I fixed a Twin for a customer once by resoldering the filament connections to the 6L6's. Capacitors, especially the old "paper" caps that were used in many Fenders, can be an issue.

I had a Twin that I bought new in early 71. It had an AB768 chassis (its on a label on the inside of the cabinet).

Joel Hill

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 10:40 am    

Thanks I suspected the amp as well but i don't know of a quality repair guy here. I don't think I could pay the shipping cost to send it somewhere. Very Happy

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 10:43 am    

Joel Hill wrote:
Thanks I suspected the amp as well but i don't know of a quality repair guy here. I don't think I could pay the shipping cost to send it somewhere. Very Happy

People ship me Twin chassis all the time. No need for the whole amp at all. Seems like around 30-40 dollars

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Joel Hill

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 10:56 am    

Mike, can you PM me so that I can make arrangements to send it to you? Thanks.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 10:58 am    

Joel Hill wrote:
Mike, can you PM me so that I can make arrangements to send it to you? Thanks.

Done

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 7:59 am    

Need more info.

Is it one or both channels that have the problem?

Try plugging into one channel, and turning all of the controls on the other channel to OFF.

Also, is the problem there with nothing plugged into the amp?

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 8:47 pm    

IMHO......if you use tubes and play somewhere like kinda out in the country or a low voltage situation a power conditioner that raises the voltage would be handy to drive the power tubes. This is something I learned from Smiley Weaver in my early days. Just my two cents.