The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eminence PF-350 question
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 10:00 am    

For those of you who have tried the Paul Franklin 350 speaker, can you share your experience with break-in time? How did it sound out of the box? And how does is sound after x hours of play time (or however long you've had it)?

Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 4:28 pm    

Interesting question, I am just looking at one now.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 2:10 am    

I'm trying one right now. I made an adapter and put one in a Nashville 400 for a couple of weeks and then changed it to a speaker cab last week to try with one of my racks. I thought the speaker sounded very good right out of the box but probably at around 40 hours, the speaker loosened up and sounds even better.
There is a demo video floating around with Paul playing and talking about the speaker, describes what I hear as well. I really like the speaker but if weight is a concern, the PF-350 is in the 23lbs neighborhood.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 4:03 am    

I have an Eminence EPS-15C currently in shipment to me. Weighs 8 lbs. I play through a Carvin stereo power amp with two identical speaker cabinets. Currently using two 1501's. So, I can easily A/B the Eminence. If it works as I hope it will, I can order a second one and lighten my load.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Marty Nemanick

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 4:05 pm    

Mine just arrived today, so far I've played it through a Carvin BX500 and a vintage Mesa Boogie 60 watt Son of Boogie (SOB) all tube amp and it sounded great! As already mentioned it is a little heavy, but I personally like the sound of these ferite magnet speakers rather than the neos. The bass is very tight and clean without being boomey and the highs are not brittle at all. Also I did very little tone adjustment, the speaker sounded great right out of the box. I'll post back in a couple of weeks after I break it in.

Marty

Zachary Moulton

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 7:07 pm    

I just got two of these SOB’s for a 2x12 Bassman style closed back cab. I run a Bassman 100 through it. Been playing through a BW for the longest time. The PFs sound rad. But, when I push em, they break up. Don’t know if that’s a normal part of the breaking in. Hell, I never had a new speaker, and I’ve only played about 4 shows with em. Hope they clean up..

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 12:51 am    

Hey Dennis, when you get your EPS-15C, give us a post and tell us what you think. I'm looking at one of those for my NV 400.

Tim Mathews

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 4:38 am     about 10 hours in.

took the brittle out of the Peavey front end (Peavey 1000 preamp ) and smoothed the mids a bit. HEAVY!