The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zums Only?
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 8:28 am    

I remember when you picked up that guitar at the Dallas Show Paddy - she is an stunner. Thanks for the heads up on differentiating the hybrid model from the non hybrid. I saw on one post where one guy has a 9 + 10 guitar. That takes some figuring out on Bruce's behalf. He is such a modest character and a good player with it.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 8:32 pm    

Guess I missed this when Chris started the thread.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 8:35 pm    

1982, Truetone pickup wound to 18000.

1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 4:19 pm    

Here's a happy Zum Encore picker.I love mine.It is absolutely one of the best sounding & playing steels I've owned since I started pickin' in 1975.Running through a "Blue Stripe" era Peavey Bandit & sometimes a Nashville 112.At church,I'm mic'ing thru a REALLY nice PA & the sound is truly amazing through that big system.I couldn't be happier.

Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 12:11 pm     Zum SD-10

Here's my latest acquisition. This one was built in 1996.

Last edited by Jerry Berger on 28 Sep 2019 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 2:28 pm     Zum Steel

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 3:48 pm    

Bump for more pics

bob

Chris Grigsby

Boulder, CO
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 10:56 am     2014 Sd10 #1151

Owned some amazing guitars, to include an Emmons LGII, 3 different Show Pros, Mullen G2, and Mullen Discovery, but my new 2014 Zumsteel is hands down the finest guitar I've ever owned. Just beautiful balanced tone up and down the fretboard and super easy to play.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 7:50 am    

2019 Bump

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 11:12 am     My New Hybrid

I'm the new owner of this beauty.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=331580&highlight=

My friend bought it from John and it came with a 705 p/u on the front neck neck and a SC on the rear. I haven't been able to find out why from John that he changed it before shipping and wonder if I should put a SC back on the E9?

I would like to send it to Bruce to have it changed to my set up. Hopefully he can do this for me?

thx

bob

Tab Tabscott

Somewhere between Vashon Island and The mainland.
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2019 7:51 am     97 zum 8 x 8

I got this from Lynn Stafford

He said the color is Eggplant. But it looks purple to me.

Play nice.

They is none else.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2019 9:20 am     Pickups?

What pickups did Bruce design the guitars around, including Hybrids if different than original models?

I see a lot of Zums with Humbuckers and was curious why? I'v always been a Push/Pull guy and prefer SC's on an Emmons.

thx

bob

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2019 2:52 pm    

Bob I know Bruce has a leaning towards Single coils and usually puts in TT's ... both of my Hybrids had TT's in them when Bruce built them as I didn't specify what I wanted and was happy with the TT's. However I do a lot of session work so now both my Zum's have Telonics humbuckers in them, 409's in the Black guitar and X10's in Big Red !!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2019 6:13 pm     my d10 keyless

this is my latest zum, i have owned several over the years, but what can i say....jacl

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2019 6:28 am    

Paddy Long wrote:
Bob I know Bruce has a leaning towards Single coils and usually puts in TT's ... both of my Hybrids had TT's in them when Bruce built them as I didn't specify what I wanted and was happy with the TT's. However I do a lot of session work so now both my Zum's have Telonics humbuckers in them, 409's in the Black guitar and X10's in Big Red !!

Thanks, Paddy

I'm hoping to get my Hybrid as close as possible sounding like my P/P's. Curious how close the TT's are to original Emmons single cois?

bob

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 12:38 pm    

I think that the TT’s are close to the Emmons PU’s, but if you compare the two guitars, a PP with Emmons PU’s and a Hybrid I believe the PP has less mids than the Zum.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2019 9:55 am     Thanks Larry Petree

I received this Zumsteel from Larry Petree out in Bakersfield CA. Larry did a great job refurbishing and setting up this guitar for me.

It looks basically brand new, and plays like butter, and sounds even better. Thanks, Larry for all your hard work to get this just right.

Last edited by Mike DiAlesandro on 7 Nov 2019 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brad Easley

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2019 11:51 am    

I guess I'm a rare bird in that the only steels I've ever owned are Zumsteels. When I first went looking for a steel to learn on, I stumbled on an early Zum, and it has served me well, although it's far from the norm as first steels go. Last weekend, I acquired my second Zum, and it's a doozie! The new (to me) Zum plays like a dream, and I don't anticipate I'll need to "upgrade" any time soon.

1. Zumsteel SD125543 12 string ext E9 5+5 Day pedal config (I believe it was converted from a Universal at some point in its lifetime based on the unused bellcranks). This is Zum #43 made in '78, a prime example of an early Zum including the two line logo. Oh and it has Buddy Emmons & Jeff Newman's signatures engraved on the end. I've been told that used to be a thing at conventions, so I have no reason to doubt the authenticity.

2. Zumsteel SD1058885 10 string E9 4+8 also Day pedal config and a Wallace TrueTone pickup. This is Zum #885 made in 2004, a prime example of Bruce's latter work, which is to say one of the finest steels ever produced. It's black and red (looks slightly orange in photo due to nature light) with pearloid inlay. Originally made for Mike Headrick, it had a rather unusual setup including a 5th pedal on the right side that has since been removed and a copedent that was unique to say the least. The copedent has since been changed to something a bit more conventional (as much as a SD10 E9 with 4 pedals and 8 knee levers and a Day setup can be conventional). The playability and tone of this steel is unmatched! I feel privileged to be playing this exceptional steel, and I'm certain it will take me far down the pedal steel path.

Here's Mike Headrick's original copedent for this steel, if you're curious.

George Geisser

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2020 4:53 am     I know this post is old, but so is my ZUM

Picture file
So old it doesn't have Split Tuners or a Serial Number only the original owners name. Using hand tools I drilled and tapped 6 Splits. I quit as I was 6 for 6. This guitar has been a huge blessing and my main show axe thanks to Gene Lintner my MD at Shoji's

David Kean

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2021 1:14 pm    

My S12, #S127470. Purchased in 1985 from Daryl Logue in Raytown Mo. I've played this guitar ever since. It's been serviced by Bruce a couple of times, by Doug Ammon here in Calgary, and I do most of it myself these days. It's set up B6 Universal and I've been a devout Jeff Newman fan for all of these years. The guitar is still in gorgeous shape and sounds amazing.

David Kean

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2021 1:17 pm    

I forgot to mention: Daryl installed that lock on the bottom, not Bruce! I think the guitar was stolen once, but not sure. I played with Daryl as the guitarist in Denver Locke, a KC country/swing outfit in the 80s. Great bunch of pickers and a completely great gig to have for a couple of years. Daryl bought a D10 Zum from Bruce to replace this guitar.