The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help Identifying this Fender 1000 age
Bruce Carlin

New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 5:17 pm    

I just bought this on e-bay and wondered if anyone could offer a possible date. Besides the colored markers on the frets it looks to be in amazing shape. Most I have seen online are sunburst finishes while this is all black. Came with one original case but I would be interested in the pedal case if anyone knows of one available.

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 5:51 pm    

It's probably post-1964 with the Jaguar-style pickups and small black pedals. Dunno about the paint and I suspect colored fretmarkers are a previous owner's embellishment. The metal frame looks more like the earlier ('57-'63) incarnations as I'm used to seeing black ones on this era Fender. Steels were numbered in their own sequence--I don't know if by model or just pedal steels at large. I have an invoice for an 800 (S-10) s/n 00386 that's dated 1973. What does the case look like--black tolex with orange plush lining? If so, '60s or '70s for sure. If case has a raised Fender logo on it, later '60s or '80s.

Bruce Carlin

New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 6:32 pm    

The case has no logo on it and thank you for your reply.

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 11:05 pm    

That case looks to be early-mid '60s. Maybe this is somewhat transitional--older frame and serial number sequence. Pot codes might give a clue. The Fender logo plate looks like it might be older, but it's hard to see in the photos. The black paint is a puzzler, but non-sunbursts have been documented.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 2:03 am    

I'd say Ben is right on, it's '64 or later based on the features he noted. Pull off the tuning pan for a couple more clues. If it has Kluson tuners on a plate it is pre-'67, after that they went to the individual strat-style tuners with the F logo on them.

There might be a date written on the body under the tuner pan too, but unlikely, that mostly applies to the earlier guitars.

I suspect the black lacquer is just a refinish, with the black crinkle paint stripped off the frame, hence no logo on the frame or decal on the pedal board.

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 6:21 am    

Interesting serial # Bruce.. in view of this Fenders new home.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 6:41 pm    

If you can get me the numbers on the back of the pots, I can tell you when they were made. RP

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 3:08 pm    

The blond cases put it in the 61 - 63 range. I believe Fender went to black tolex in 64. The jaguar style pickups and the mutes were introduced in 1962 (same year as the Fender Jaguar) but they went to the cam style bridge in 1963. Ergo: it is a 63 like the one in my avatar. The frame has been stripped down to bare aluminum and the body has been painted. I'm guessing the underside is sunburst?

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 7:08 pm    

It might be from late '63, might also be later. My ~'65 800 has a white case that looks virtually identical to one one pictured above, save for an interior partition in mine. I bought it from the grandson of the original owner, who bought it new in '65. One of the pots dates to Oct '64. Serial is 00936.

The change to the black pedals, the Jaguar-style pickups, etc. on the 400/1000 coincides directly with the design and release of the 800/2000 models, which was late '63/early '64.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 11:07 pm    

I have a fairly extensive background in Fender cable steels and have researched company records.

The guitar can be no earlier than late 1963 no matter WHAT color the case is. The case does not appear to be original as it does not match any case Fender ever supplied with their pedal steels.

But Fender did not make that model before late '63 - it's far more likely from '64 or later.

There is no way to precisely date it. Serial numbers are NOT sequential and even repeat - pot codes have only 3 dates, as Fender only ordered a limited number of 1 meg pots.

The date is irrelevant anyway. There's no difference in value based on year - and that guitar is devalued anyway because it's been refinished. Just enjoy it.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 10:51 am    

Jim Sliff wrote:
I have a fairly extensive background in Fender cable steels and have researched company records.

The guitar can be no earlier than late 1963 no matter WHAT color the case is. The case does not appear to be original as it does not match any case Fender ever supplied with their pedal steels.

I do agree that it can't be earlier than a 63. Here is some knowledge to add to your vast store Jim. these are the cases for my '63 1000. They are original.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 11:16 am    

from my '65 800, also original