The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mutton dressed up as Lamb
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 8:58 pm    

D10 guitar used for E9th work only...Should We hook the other pedals for no reason or let those pedals dangle without rods? I did if many times without any hassle, what would you do at a gig??

Last edited by Larry Bressington on 15 Nov 2017 6:10 am; edited 7 times in total

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 10:01 pm    

You need to hook them up to impress the chicks. As we all know, nothing impresses chicks like a pedal steel guitar, the more stuff you have dangling below your apron the better.

It's tougher for the lady steelers, there are always a bunch of drunk guys hanging around, wanting to look up under their skirts and check out their hardware. Best not to draw any unnecessary attention.

No one will notice if you don't use the other pedals, but they will if they're not hooked up. There is an old Irish proverb that derived from this phenomenon dating back to the earliest pedal steels a few hundred years ago, Finnegan's rule, or O'Flaherty's premise or something like that, I can't remember. It was a long time ago.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 11:22 pm    

Very Happy Very Happy

John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 5:04 am     Jerry Lee steeler 70's

I went to see a Jerry Lee Lewis concert in the early 1970's. The Killer sang mostly country at this concert, plus a rock and roll hit or two.
I didn't play steel at that time, but was interested in learning to play steel guitar. The steel player had a D-10 Sho Bud, but he only hooked up the 3 E9th pedals. He let the C6th pedals rest on the stage floor. He played well and looked cool, too. Don't recall his name, unfortunately.

Off topic: Jerry Lee opened with an awesome rendition of "You Win Again" to quite an ovation. I mention this, not because of anything steel-related, but because of The Killer's memorable comment as the applause settled after the song: "Sure wish I could find another song like that."

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 7:18 am    

Ian Worley wrote:
You need to hook them up to impress the chicks. As we all know, nothing impresses chicks like a pedal steel guitar, the more stuff you have dangling below your apron the better.

It's tougher for the lady steelers, there are always a bunch of drunk guys hanging around, wanting to look up under their skirts and check out their hardware. Best not to draw any unnecessary attention.

No one will notice if you don't use the other pedals, but they will if they're not hooked up. There is an old Irish proverb that derived from this phenomenon dating back to the earliest pedal steels a few hundred years ago, Finnegan's rule, or O'Flaherty's premise or something like that, I can't remember. It was a long time ago.

Laughing Laughing Laughing that never work for me Laughing

Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 4:25 am    

When I first met Smiley Roberts he was playing with T.O. Had a double neck and did not hook up the C6 pedals. I asked him why and he said because he did not play that neck.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 4:46 am    

Dave Grothusen wrote:
When I first met Smiley Roberts he was playing with T.O. Had a double neck and did not hook up the C6 pedals. I asked him why and he said because he did not play that neck.

Pardon my ignorance...who is T.O.? I've seen those initials in other discussions about Smiley Roberts.

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 6:50 am    

Tommy Overstreet

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 8:12 am    

Jim Bob Sedgwick wrote:
Tommy Overstreet

Thanks!

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 6:08 am    

Interesting info....Years ago when i was starting out i ran into a really good player who was playing a D10, but just the E9th hooked up, i asked him why the pedals weren't hooked up for the back neck and he said; Well that's like Dressing 'Mutton up as a lamb' i can't play C6th and i don't want them to think i can (pedals dangling) i thought fair comment.

I did it a few times years ago when i was trying things out, not something i'd do long term, it seems like that was more common before the double frame with a pad SD10, became popular.