The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro Simulator pedal...one that actually works!
Heinz Plaumann

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2017 2:17 pm    

Looking for a Dobro simulator pedal as an effect pedal - on the floor or on the steel leg.

Any advice?
Anyone have one for sale??

Heinz

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 5:46 am    

The best was the original Goodrich MatchBro, and I used it into a POD XT - using an acoustic amp model, room reverb, slap delay, etc... meaning - doing everything to treat it unlike my pedal steel sound. Any kind of regular steel amp is going to make it sound more electric and less acoustic, so it's really the whole chain you should think about.

I play a lot more Dobro these days, and I will say - nothing sounds like the real thing, but the MatchBro did let me adequately copy PedaBro parts.

My advice, learn to play Dobro - it's a blast!

Sincerely,

David Spires

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 6:44 am    

+1 for the Matchbro, and play like a Dobro, not a steel guitar effect. I've fooled Bluegrass Pickers with my Matchbro!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 9:17 am    

The plastic bar that comes with the MatchBro is necessary also. Very Happy

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 1:44 pm    

Another vote for the Match-bro. But there are others, like Tom Bradshaw's reso pedal.

I use a Dunlop Q-zone pedal. This is no longer being made, but you can find them on E-bay and Reverb. Mine is hard wired into the effects loop in my Steelaire amp.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 12:07 pm    

If you're playing a standard tuned 10 string pedal steel through a dobro sim, you are probably getting something closer to the Pedabro or pedal dobro sound. For one, the pedal steel tuning is not the same tuning as traditional reso. You're missing the low note.

You would be much better served to tune your lap steel to open dobro G and play that through your device to emulate a real dobro sound. IMO.

The best sim I've used is the BoBro but none of them is going to get you the genuine Os, Ickes, Uncle Josh or JD sound.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 7:25 am    

I own all of them, and my favorite is the one built into my Telonics amplifier...

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 7:36 am    

I was on a gig once and Buddy was there with the Everlys. He played the Matchbro and it sounded so much like a dobro it was uncanny. I asked him if he used that plastic bar and he said something like...” nahhh....”. But it was Buddy,after all!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 8:03 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
You would be much better served to tune your lap steel to open dobro G and play that through your device to emulate a real dobro sound. IMO.

Agreed. Much more realistic reso sound on a lap steel tuned to high-bass G than on an E9 pedal steel. I use the MXR/Bradshaw pedal and it sounds quite convincing.

Mike Castleberry

El Paso, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 10:38 am    

This is what I use. They are great pedals for resonator guitar replication.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 11:26 am    

The Quilter Steelaire has a 9 volt powered effects loop. Tom Bradshaw's reso pedal requires 18 volts, and is incompatible with the loop. The Match-bro has a separate power supply, and is also incompatible with the loop.

The Dunlop Q-zone pedal IS compatible with the loop. Mine is hard wired into the amp, so I have a pedabro sound at the flip a switch.

As I mentioned, the pedal has been discontinued, but there are always a few on E-bay.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 3:18 pm    

Boss GE7 or something like it, low cost, easy to adjust, many uses.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Rene Brosseau

Chatham,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 11:20 am     C6

My buddy converted his C6 neck to 6 string only tuned like a dobro with a simulator...sounded great
Franklin #130, Melobar Skreemer, Wechter Scheerhorn Resonator, Nashville 112, Boss DD 3 &/or Profex II

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 10:35 am     "Try It. You Might Like It."

If in doubt about my Resonators' sound, I will send anyone (well almost anyone) a Resonator to try out. If not satisfied with the unit's duplication of the Dobro's sound, simply return the unit to me. I trust Forum members. My policy has always been, "If you don't like something you bought from me, return it."

Incidentally, only about 5 customers have returned one (out of the 430+ sold). Why not try one? [tommybradshaw@gmail.com] ...Tom

Last edited by Tom Bradshaw on 16 Nov 2017 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 10:56 am    

I use Tom's Reso pedal and am pleased with it.

Technique is important to be convincing. I pick closer to the nut than normal and keep the AB pedals down.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 11:54 am    

I also use Tom's pedal and am a fan. In a 'naked' mix, I don't think anyone who knows what they're listening for is likely to be convinced that it's actually a reso playing - certainly not without some serious amp EQing and technique adaptations on the part of the player - but in a band context, it works great.

It also plays really well with other pedals if that's something you want/need to do. I have overdrives both before and after mine and they interact really nicely.

I like mine enough that I'm putting together a new touring rig and will likely buy a second one so I don't have to take my existing one off my 'day to day' board.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2017 3:46 pm    

I use the Goodrich dobro simulator and love it. I took off those ugly looking chicken head knobs. They were kinda ok on the old fender amps, but I just think their so ugly, even on the new Peavey steel amps.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 7:19 pm    

The Bradshaw box is quite good, IMO.
Does it sound like a good Dobro with a mic? No.
But it DOES sound better than a Dobro with a pickup. But you have to play like a Dobro.
Move "Pickaway" up to A, play the C6th with P5 and raised Cs, and you can sound ALMOST like Mike.
And I barely sound almost like Mike when I play the Dobro he gave me!

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 6:22 am    

I have Tom's pedal and love it. One thing though the power supply died. Not a real big thing since I use a battery now and when clipped to the leg of my guitar there is one less power cable in the way for me to trip over. It sounds good even with the battery.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 8:22 am    

I am using the Tom Bradshaw pedal with a Gretsch Bobtail Dobro that has a Fishman Nashville pickup in it, for gigging.
When there is not enough time/space for both PSG and Dobro I use the Tom pedal on Pedal Steel for some Dobro licks.
FYI, The instructions say it is an 18V device and will not function properly with a 9volt battery. I'm sure Tom has replacement supplies.

Hey that Pickaway tune has similar elements to Pickin' To Beat The Devil by Pure Prarie League.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llq0p0m5TIg
Nice. I will play along with it today.