The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String not returning to tune
Ben Morine

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 1:12 pm    

Hi guys,

Hope you are all well.

when I hit the b pedal on my Carter the 6th string is going out of tune.

Any ideas on what could be happening?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Jason Lynch

Essex, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 1:22 pm    

If it's not returning to pitch after being raised, it's generally one at two things. Either the return Spring need adjusting, or something is preventing the finger returning. Gunk, debris, something broken off. Try getting underneath and push the finger back on not place with a screwdriver. If it goes, it's probably the spring. Needs tightening. If not, it's something else.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 2:42 pm    

Overtuned until proven otherwise. Back off the raise tuners completely and start over.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 5:58 pm    

I don't think you have adequately explained what's happening. The B pedal generally raises the sixth string a half tone. The return springs have nothing to do with a pedal or lever that only raises strings.

Did you mean to say that when you hit the A pedal the sixth string goes flat? If so, that would be cabinet drop you are observing on the sixth string.

Did you mean to say that when you hit the B pedal it doesn't raise to the proper pitch? That's a tuning, or overtuning issue. Or did you mean that when you release the B pedal it doesn't return to the proper pitch? That's often a sticky roller nut issue, or something else in the linkage that needs lubrication, or it's an overtuning problem.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I think you need to clarify.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 8:11 pm    

I vote overtuned. Curious, did you change string gauge? RP

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 10:05 pm    

Hi Ben. It could be one of several things. Since you did not give your guitar or set up.

It could be a return spring on the changer finger or pedal return spring,

Next check the nut roller if the guitar is so equipped. The 5th and 6th have a lot of string from the nut roller to the tuner. Loosen the string enough so you can clear the roller and check for free rolling of the 6th string roller. I had that problem with my GFI on some strings, I had to clean about 3 slots of powder coat run when it was baked. with a needle file.

Last Check to make you have a little free play in the nylon nut pull rod assembly. If no free play you may have to move the pull on the bell crank to give the rod a longer pull and a little free play when the raise is tuned and the pedal returns. This could be if you changed string diameter

Good Luck finding the problem, And Happy Steelin.