The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone tried the Trio+ by Electroharmonics?
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 7:39 pm    

Looks and sounds pretty good on youtube. On the plus you can save your songs to a 32gig card. With the foot switch you can start anywhere or go back to choruses and verses with a simple foot switch for songs you want to extend.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 9:36 pm    

I have had one for 2+ ears. Don't use it much cause it doesn't do all those things. Must be they've added functions.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 10:34 pm    

No - because it's made by Digitech!

Laughing

i've had one for a couple of years and use it every few days. I'm stuck at home because of chronic pain and it's my "band" when I can't sucker friends into coming over.

the Plus version DOES have all those functions, BTW.

Works great! The trick is playing *simple* when you want to create a backup section - then by switching the style knobs around you can twist the backup parts all sorts of ways. The simpler you play the better the backup part will "sync".

The sound of both bass and drums is great because they're real instruments. The other thing I really like is that the parts are dynamic - they don't just repeat the same thing over and over, but instead there are subtle changes like a real musician would play.

I don't use the "save" function much but I do use it to create quick song or song section backups. The funny thing is, I don't like Band in a Box, which uses the same "engine" - supposedly. they don't seem at all alike to me.

Very useful and fun tool.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 8:24 am    

Jim Sliff wrote:

Laughing

i've had one for a couple of years and use it every few days. I'm stuck at home because of chronic pain and it's my "band" when I can't sucker friends into coming over.

Works great! The trick is playing *simple* when you want to create a backup section - then by switching the style knobs around you can twist the backup parts all sorts of ways. The simpler you play the better the backup part will "sync".

The sound of both bass and drums is great because they're real instruments. The other thing I really like is that the parts are dynamic - they don't just repeat the same thing over and over, but instead there are subtle changes like a real musician would play.

I don't use the "save" function much but I do use it to create quick song or song section backups. The funny thing is, I don't like Band in a Box, which uses the same "engine" - supposedly. they don't seem at all alike to me.

Is there a count in click to start the music when you have created a song or does it just start the song?

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 9:43 pm    

Yes, you can set it to do a count-in. There are several options. If you read the info on the Digitech site I'm fairly sure they cover all that. You may be able to even download the entire manual.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2017 7:03 pm    

Sounds like a neat idea.

Though there is some latency I've noticed and I can sense the pedal hesitating. Sort of like jamming with people who aren't polished on the changes in the song and without the benefit of sight reading.

Perhaps as AI improves on this item, the latency will drop as it becomes more predictive.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 3:24 pm    

Quote:
Though there is some latency I've noticed and I can sense the pedal hesitating. Sort of like jamming with people who aren't polished on the changes in the song and without the benefit of sight reading.

You posted a picture of the older Trio. The Trio+ addresses the latency - which IMO was only an issue when changing the style from what you started with, or because of inconsistent rhythm playing when you created the "backup"

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 3:46 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:

Laughing

Thanks Jim... Ill probably buy one of these. I really
like the sound on youtube.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 5:02 pm    

Quote:

You posted a picture of the older Trio. The Trio+ addresses the latency - which IMO was only an issue when changing the style from what you started with, or because of inconsistent rhythm playing when you created the "backup"

Still has some latency. The backup sounds like it's floating in time, it flinches.

It takes away from practicing with a metronome. Like playing with a drummer that drags. No rhythm pockets to play to. Just sayin'...

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 10:02 pm    

Hummm i'm looking for a practice alternative to biab or backing tracks. Something you can actually lay a track idea down with. This sounds interesting by listening to the video. Thanks greg & jim for sharing your valuable experience with this product i will sure check into it even deeper....appreciated

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2017 10:38 pm    

The only latency I've detected is due to payer tracking errors - either 1) if the backing track was created while playing the chords for it to "detect" slightly syncopated or "off", and 2) if the genre and/or style knobs are changed from the "creation" setting.

It also can take a few tries to get a specific section or part dialed in. But when used precisely it's better than a metronome IMO. There's are a real drummer and bass player with varied dynamics and just enough parts variety to keep it interesting.

My oldest son has one as well - he has the same impression I do. Both of us have been playing various instruments - including drums - in bands for years. I know a few other players that have been using them for a while & them don't report latency issues either.

I can't explain what A. G. reports other than what I previously mentioned.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 4:38 am    

You know....the drum algorithms sound alot like the band in a box drummer samples?? My imagination perhaps? Sure sound very similar to me?

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 11:06 pm    

I think that the loop function is a great idea, except - I need them to be separate from each other. So I CAN loop the Trio, or loop the me-o, or loop us together. It's an absolute BOMB for ye olde tricke of making a backing track, playing a few things to that track, then ERASE the original, getting in touch with your inner cannibal. I'm seeing the non-loop-y not-PLUSSY ones for FIFTY BUCKS NEW at Sweetwater, lawzy get one for the bathroom, one for the garage, one for the kitchen too. Loop the cat! Make backing tracks outta the screen door! Etc!

!!$$50$$!!

(and, of course, as all the advice to play simple, clear parts to get the maximum bestiest rhythm track is true... the next step is obviously to pervert the po li'l thing... Devil )