INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for a SUPER high headroom clean amp.
Rick Vizzi

New Jersey, USA
Post Posted 12 Nov 2017 5:04 pm     Reply with quote

Try a Quilter Steelaire too. With 15" speaker. You can also plug in another 15".
I recently bought one. It has very admirable tone with power and pretty light and small. It still doesn't sound as good as my Twin Reverb Custom 15 but kinda close. Different animals. The Twin just has a sweetness that is hard to describe.the tubes generate harmonics that the Quilter just doesn't. But in a gig with crowd noise it doesn't matter. I didn't like the Quilter when i first got it but the more i messed with it the more i have appreciated it. I had to tweak the tone setting of my Hilton too. I finally after a lot of different settings found it back almost exactly where it was set at the factory!
Rob Segal

NYC
Post Posted 12 Nov 2017 6:20 pm     VHT/Fryette 2/90/2 Reply with quote

I will suggest the power amp I am selling--a VHT/Fryette 2/90/2. It is all tube, with 4 KT88s, providing two discrete separate channels, 90watts each; clean as can be and extremely powerful. You could use any preamp to drive it; I would suggest one of Brad Sarno's tub pre's----the V8 or SMS Classic or Revelation; also could do a great job with Gerry Walker's Stereo Steel preamp.

See this link:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=322892

Rob