INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Post new topic Paul Niehaus
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Niehaus
Chris Walke


From:
St Charles, IL
Post Posted 26 Oct 2017 6:09 am     Reply with quote

One of my all time favorite bands is Calexico.

This tune, with Neko Case as the classic femme fatale is fantastic. Is it surf? Is it Spaghetti Western soundtrack? Don't know. But I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5wf_PMuDvA
View user's profile Send private message
Curt Trisko


From:
St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post Posted 26 Oct 2017 5:10 pm     Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mike Neer


From:
NJ
Post Posted 26 Oct 2017 5:24 pm     Reply with quote

I’m personally a big fan of Lambchop, but I am more enamored with Kurt Wagner than anything else, though I think the band does a great job of supporting its creative center (Kurt).
_________________
'Steelonious' on Bandcamp
mikeneer.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Will Houston


From:
Tempe, Az
Post Posted 26 Oct 2017 10:05 pm     Reply with quote

Saw Calexico w/ Paul and Neko on the same bill a few years back. Paul is the man. Check on utube Calexico doing Love's great song 'Alone Again Or", with Pauls scorching Fender Thinline guitar solo's. Calexico also one of my favorite bands. Although not the same without Paul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Joachim Kettner


From:
Germany
Post Posted 27 Oct 2017 1:49 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Will. This is fantastic!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Zrhtc08_o
_________________
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Erv Niehaus


From:
Litchfield, MN, USA
Post Posted 27 Oct 2017 7:41 am     Reply with quote

It's in the genes. Very Happy
Erv
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Joachim Kettner


From:
Germany
Post Posted 27 Oct 2017 8:05 am     Reply with quote

I was thinking of you Erv. Are you joking a little or are you related?
_________________
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Erv Niehaus


From:
Litchfield, MN, USA
Post Posted 27 Oct 2017 8:15 am     Reply with quote

We could be, my dad didn't tell me everything. Whoa!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Joachim Kettner


From:
Germany
Post Posted 27 Oct 2017 8:21 am     Reply with quote

Niehaus is a German surname, so you're ancestors come from the same land.
_________________
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Erv Niehaus


From:
Litchfield, MN, USA
Post Posted 27 Oct 2017 8:24 am     Reply with quote

You're right, I used to be German but I took pills for it. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Will Houston


From:
Tempe, Az
Post Posted 27 Oct 2017 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Joachim, thanks for posting the utube link. I need to learn how to do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Joachim Kettner


From:
Germany
Post Posted 28 Oct 2017 8:37 am     Reply with quote

I will try to explain how to do tis this in a PM Will, it's called 'copy and paste'.
Btw, I wonder which song was first: "Pinball Wizzard" 0r "Alone Again Or"? I always thought somebody emulated someone.
_________________
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Will Houston


From:
Tempe, Az
Post Posted 28 Oct 2017 9:15 am     Reply with quote

Alone Again Or was on the classic Forever Changes album from 1967. I believe that would be before Pinball Wizard. Thanks for the copy and paste info, I will have no excuses now. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Curt Trisko


From:
St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post Posted 29 Oct 2017 8:06 am     Reply with quote

It looks like my last post didn't show up for whatever reason, so here it is again:

I'm also a fan of Calexico and Paul Niehaus.

Here's a couple ones I like:
https://youtu.be/_EOzX5J6rRM
https://youtu.be/MePq4yH-dnc

And here's another one of the second song with Jon Rauhouse playing some absolutely blazing steel. It's my goal to learn how to play this on steel some day:

https://youtu.be/C0SN1w3fuFM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Chris Walke


From:
St Charles, IL
Post Posted 7 Nov 2017 8:06 am     Reply with quote

Mike Neer wrote:
I’m personally a big fan of Lambchop, but I am more enamored with Kurt Wagner than anything else, though I think the band does a great job of supporting its creative center (Kurt).


I've never listened to Lambchop, so I pulled up an album and gave it a go. I can't tell if I like the "songs" but the arrangements are absolutely incredible. I think I was listening to the Nixon album. I will definitely have to dig deeper. If you have any highly recommended Lambchop albums, I'd love to check them out.
View user's profile Send private message
Chris Walke


From:
St Charles, IL
Post Posted 7 Nov 2017 8:22 am     Reply with quote

Curt Trisko wrote:
It looks like my last post didn't show up for whatever reason, so here it is again:

I'm also a fan of Calexico and Paul Niehaus.

Here's a couple ones I like:
https://youtu.be/_EOzX5J6rRM
https://youtu.be/MePq4yH-dnc

And here's another one of the second song with Jon Rauhouse playing some absolutely blazing steel. It's my goal to learn how to play this on steel some day:

https://youtu.be/C0SN1w3fuFM


I saw Rauhouse play with Freakwater (or was it Trigger Gospel? Hmmm... was the same blurry afternoon) in Austin (SxSW) back in the late 90s. He's an absolute blast to watch. You can see him going deeper & deeper as he plays.
View user's profile Send private message
Curt Trisko


From:
St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post Posted 7 Nov 2017 8:39 am     Reply with quote

Chris Walke wrote:
Mike Neer wrote:
I’m personally a big fan of Lambchop, but I am more enamored with Kurt Wagner than anything else, though I think the band does a great job of supporting its creative center (Kurt).


I've never listened to Lambchop, so I pulled up an album and gave it a go. I can't tell if I like the "songs" but the arrangements are absolutely incredible. I think I was listening to the Nixon album. I will definitely have to dig deeper. If you have any highly recommended Lambchop albums, I'd love to check them out.


I think I'll give this album a listen today while I'm working. I've found that for a number of "odd" or "distinct" artists and producers, that it's their ability to attract incredibly musical supporting musicians that makes them a joy to listen to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Chris Walke


From:
St Charles, IL
Post Posted 7 Nov 2017 11:20 am     Reply with quote

Curt Trisko wrote:

]

I think I'll give this album a listen today while I'm working. I've found that for a number of "odd" or "distinct" artists and producers, that it's their ability to attract incredibly musical supporting musicians that makes them a joy to listen to.


Yep. Hence, Tom Waits.
View user's profile Send private message
Curt Trisko


From:
St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post Posted 7 Nov 2017 11:54 am     Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/S0835hPFSpI

Here's an interesting one from that album with some nice steel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Curt Trisko


From:
St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post Posted 11 Nov 2017 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

Curt Trisko wrote:
https://youtu.be/S0835hPFSpI

Here's an interesting one from that album with some nice steel.


I sat down and figured out the solo from this song today (The Distance From Her To There). If anyone seeing this needs help working it out for themselves, just let me know. It's fun to play and there's room in it to improvise and further articulate it. It contains a couple of unique movements that I don't remember having done before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Martin Abend


From:
Berlin, Germany
Post Posted 21 Nov 2017 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

I first saw Paul during Lambchop's first tour through Germany in the mid 90s, I think he still played lap back then. They were a great bunch, but after the first 2 albums the thrill was gone for me. But watching him play was definetely helping to develop my interest in all things steel guitar

I saw him then again with Calexico, went to every gig they played in Berlin in the last 18 or so years (they are pretty big around here) and even met him a couple of times through a mutual friend. Great guy, and it was interesting to see how his playing (which I really, really like) developed over time. Sadly, he seems to have left Calexico and to me, his playing was integral part of their sound. In my opinion, Calexico peaked with "Feast of Wire" (2003), though they still put out some really great albums. Niehaus still seems to be pretty busy with Justin Townes Earle and I hope to catch him in Berlin again soon.
_________________
'78 Sho-Bud Pro III Custom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Jump to:  

Our Online Catalog
Strings, CDs, instruction,
steel guitars & accessories

www.SteelGuitarShopper.com

Steel Guitar Music
Instrumental steel guitar CDs for your permanent collection
www.SteelGuitarMusic.com

Please review our Forum Rules and Policies

The Steel Guitar Forum
148 South Cloverdale Blvd.
Cloverdale, CA 95425 USA

Support This Forum


BIAB Styles
Ray Price Shuffles for Band-in-a-Box
by Jim Baron
HTTP