The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mid range knob up up up
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 2:04 pm    

ALL CONTROLS KNOBS CAN BE TURNED UP AS WELL AS DOWN.

Counter to what I always do, last night I set everything on my amp flat, played, sounded OK but not totally happy. Set 3, put the mid on full, shift at 3:00 and adjusted the other controls for brightness and body as needed.

The in your face sound came back, the string separation came back,the growl came back, the string attack and dynamics came back, the volume had to be turned down by at least 1 whole number.

Josh Gibson, the guitar player and steeler also, said "Welcome back, that is the real you"

I do this on all PV products and my Walker, mileage may vari, but if you are not happy with your amp sound, IT MIGHT BE YOUR SETTINGS NOT THE FAULT OF THE AMP. We need to break out of the old ways of looking at amp settings.

Johnny Cox turned Joan's mid all the way off on her amp, got me to thinking, thinking, thinking. I did not like that sound for me so I went the other way on the mids, wow now this is the real deal for me and my playing.

Turning controls back chocks the sound, OPEN THEM UP, let the sound breath and come to life.

Questions, call me 971-219-8533

Phone: 971-219-8533

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 4:02 pm    

Larry, this was a session 400, Not honky at all? Plan on sending my session in to Pv soon for work. Its been in the planning stage for a year now Embarassed

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 5:20 pm    

It's been a while, but I recall the older Peavy Session 400 midrange circuit didn't really boost. It was a bit more like a Fender in that it was always presenting some degree of dip. Even if you crank the Session 400 mid, it merely approached "flat" but never boosted midrange. But when the NV400 came along, that was a different midrange EQ that would boost as well as dip.

Brad

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 10:55 am    

I guess I must clarify this would be on PV's N440 and later era amps, not Sessions era. The old Sessions seemed flat sounding to me, then the N400 came out and blew them away.

Bottom line is, on any amp do not be afraid to adjust those pesky knobs, you might be pleasantly surprised at what you might find.

If you just cannot find "your sound" on an amp, sell it and go another direction, it is cheaper than buying a new guitar. (All guitars are not equal and all amps are not equal either)

Phone: 971-219-8533

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 4:21 am    

I would agree with you Larry on this topic. I started steering away from breaking off the mid knob years ago.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 9:07 am     Re: Mid range knob up up up

Larry Behm wrote:
The in your face sound came back, the string separation came back,the growl came back, the string attack and dynamics came back, the volume had to be turned down by at least 1 whole number.
Sure, where you set the level doesn't matter as long as there's headroom, and most of a steel's tonal character is in the mid-range.
Both amp and speaker "growl" most convincing (naturally) when excited in the mid-range too - adding to the existing presence by creating over and under tones without causing what is heard as distortion (although it is).

Those who choke off the mid-range and then try to "restore" the tone to their liking, are in effect choking off most of a steel's inherent tone qualities before they start adjusting lows and highs.
As a result they lose headroom and ability to "cut through", as most of their amp's energy goes into pushing subsonics into speaker/cab that cannot reproduce them properly (thank God for that because those subsonics wouldn't sound pleasant anyway), and end up causing early distortion over the entire tone range.

FWIW: I prefer "pretty flat" settings for amp's eq, but that's because I create and shape the tone to my liking before the signal reaches the amp.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 4:22 pm    

Years ago, I had the Bass way up on 4:00, treble 1:00, presence 2:00 and mid 9:00

Now, Bass on 1:00, treble 1:00, presence 0 and mids 1:00