The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marty Stuart Show
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2017 7:37 pm    

Does someone know what kind of Amps that Marty and Kenny use? Saw the Show tonight and they sounded awesome. Thanks, J.R.

Steve Allison

Eatonton,Ga. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2017 8:09 pm    

Sometimes Fender Deluxe Reverbs and sometimes Princeton Reverbs. All Silverface. Plenty of power when you have a pro drummer and bass player!
Whoa!

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2017 12:45 am    

Which they definitely did have! What a tight band! Very Happy

Kind Regards, Walter

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2017 5:47 pm    

THANKS, J.R.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 2:00 am    

but keep in mind this is not a LIVE band gig , it is a controlled studio event. Make that a VERY controlled studio event. A SMALL area as well.

Although the DR's and PR's are excellent light duty amps, don't watch a TV show and feel that if Marty can do it on TV then anyone can do it on a gig.

Not Apples to Apples.

Bass player was still using a Showman at times and Gary C is still using a larger amp, sometimes a Fender Deville sometimes possibly a Fender Steel king it appears.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 3:34 am    

Gary Carter's sound, at least on my TV with a built in sound bar comes across as tinny or all highs. I listen to him and he's a very good picker but the sound is terrible. Even with all the treble on Marty and Kenny's sound they do not come across like Gary's. The time Paul was on with Vince, his steel sounded perfect.

Don't flame me, I'm just reporting what I hear on my TV.

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 7:23 am    

I agree with Jack. Only sometimes I could not hear the steel at all. Oh Well

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 11:44 am    

Right On Tony, I know that stage is very tiny, not much more than a studio. I think there is only two rows of chairs for the crowd. I think they are Pro Reverb and would guess they have been beef up. But what ever they are they sound very good. And Gary has for the most part over the time used a Fender Steel King. His sound has been very good on my system but this past Sat. night was not. I have been watching the show for a long time and have written RFD more than once to complain about the sound level. They went HD a week or two ago and was some better but not last Sat. It is a shame that Marty and RFD could not make another contract. They were the only current country up to date show on TV. And I still watch all the reruns. Keep on picking Kenny and Marty. You're Good. So let's BLAME the Sound Man again,ha-ha!!.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 1:42 pm    

I too have not watched in a bit, as they are mostly re-runs. All great shows though. At times the sound is real good, other times not quite as good, who can say why.

It's live TV ! Or, rather LIVE TV taping !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 2:18 pm    

I'm off to see Marty's live show early next month in Plymouth NH...I'll keep an eye out for the amps the guys are using. Unfortunately I'm hearing no steel in the road show Sad

Steve Perry

Elizabethtown Ky, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 11:57 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
but keep in mind this is not a LIVE band gig , it is a controlled studio event. Make that a VERY controlled studio event. A SMALL area as well.

Although the DR's and PR's are excellent light duty amps, don't watch a TV show and feel that if Marty can do it on TV then anyone can do it on a gig.

Not Apples to Apples.

Bass player was still using a Showman at times and Gary C is still using a larger amp, sometimes a Fender Deville sometimes possibly a Fender Steel king it appears.

I was lucky enough to be able to attend a couple taping of the show. I assume that everything is run direct to the board, because all the sound seemed to come from the house. There was no sense of any sounds coming from the amps themselves.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 5:17 am    

I have Dish Network and the sound is always great on my TV.

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 10:12 am    

I saw MS and the FS last 9/16 in Bristol and 2/17 in Bham. At both shows Marty and Kenny each used a silver face Princeton Reverb(miked). They sounded outstanding.

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 5:02 pm    

We run our TV through a stereo system with woofer, it sounds amazing, like you are sitting right there at ground zero!!! SWEET!!! All Super Pickers...Gary Carter is a GREAT steel man, and a wonderful person!! Got to meet him live a couple years ago at Midwest Country in Sandstone MN. I was playing with Larry Rose's band. Connie Smith and the Sundowners were there also with Gary on steel! A day to remember for sure. Connie Smith is #1 hands down and the BEST FRIEND a Steel guitar ever had!!!! Marty of coarse is the best friend a Telecaster ever had!!! Very Happy

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 6:31 pm    

Doug Earnest wrote:
I have Dish Network and the sound is always great on my TV.

the best ZUM tone I have ever heard is the one Gary Carter has... I don't know about the TV but some of his YouTube videos just flat out kick ass tone wise... and his playing is top notch as well of course ...

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 5:43 am    

Someone mentioned that Marty couldn't reach a contract with RFD.. Are we not going to be getting any more new shows? I was waiting to see the band without "Apostle Paul" on bass. I'd heard that Chris Scruggs was taking his place. I've heard him on lap steel but not on bass. I know that Paul plays Fender bass and upright both and does them very well...... Has anyone seen a live show with Scruggs and what did you think of it?.......JH in Va.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 9:37 am    

No more new shows Jerry, that went away some time back. Really a shame. Do not know any details, maybe someone else on here does. But my guess would be Money,ha. J.R.

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 4:14 pm    

I saw Marty and band with Chris on bass, he does great! There are plenty of videos on youtube to watch. He also plays the heck out of a console steel, but they only let him do one song with it when I saw them. He did a solo number on acoustic guitar and singing that was very nice, too.
I really like his bass lines on their latest release Way Out West, as well. Some of it sounds very Paul McCartney like.

Of course, The Apostle is superb, also - I guess it's a requirement to be a Fabulous Superlative. Both shows I saw were excellent.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 10:04 am    

The final episode aired in July, 2015 so it's going on 2 1/2 years now.

I read an interview with Marty awhile back where apparently between he and RFD the feeling was that like almost every other series in the history of television, the show had run its course.

I would be extremely surprised if we hear in the future that the show is returning with new episodes.