The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is your favorite humbucker for steel?
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 8:12 am    

I'm really a single coil guy all the way but I need to have one steel in the herd with a humbucker. A few of the places I play have power or wiring issues...

Years ago I tried some Bill Lawrence models and had a 10-1 George'l. They were ok. Interested in a 705 reissue or a Telonics...or maybe having the dual coil stringmaster style with a blend pot....

Thanks
Dave

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 8:19 am    

Mickey Adams demos several different pickups which should answer some of your questions.

https://youtu.be/T1aIqkcjwys?t=3

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 8:23 am    

Best humbuckers for steel IMHO are the GeorgeL 10-5 with its 5 way switch, or the BL 710 with its 3 way switch.. Why get one sound when you can get 3 GOOD sounds from the 710, or 4 good usable ones from the 10-5???. Its never made sense to me.. The 10-5 is a 10-1 in full humbucker mode, and has coils tap AND coil splitting as well,, A genious design that for some reason never was a big hit. I used them for YEARS. 10-5 is the best, most versatile pedal steel pickup of all time IMHO, with the 710 close behind..
I have the 710 on my little marlen at present and the 3 sounds are VERY distinct from each other... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 9:10 am    

Pretty sure I've got the BL-710 in my Marlen, as well. No coil tapping or three-way switch set up, though. Nonetheless, it sounds great.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 9:21 am    

Alumitone. Quietest pickup I’ve ever used.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 9:30 am    

My favorite Telonics 206,a friend of mine calls it the"Seattle"pickup 206 area code
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 12:24 pm    

Telonics 409
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 12:51 pm    

WEll if you want a humbucker to deliver the closest sound to a single coil delivery; then it would be a Bill Lawrence 710 or original 705(NOT reissue). Otherwise all other humbuckers are just that...a "HUM"bucker.
that's my opinion.
Oh and BTW; I'm on 15 movie soundtracks now to date...with an original single coil; with coil tap pickup on all...ha...NO humbucker EVER on movie sound tracks or commercials(35 commercials)and over 100 CD's...
Again; all single coil pickup recording.
If you want to know how I did it all with NO HUM....you can ask me; but it will cost you...ha...
and all the recording engineers will hate you, especially when they find out they are completely wrong and you are right.....ha.
Here's an example that is going in the latest Richard Linklater movie....this is just me in a million dollar state of the art studio with '73 LDG two cords going to shobud volume pedal; then to fender twin and mic is high dollar vocal mic and nothing else....> do you hear hum?????ha...

https://youtu.be/Ya1s-HiDxkg

Ricky

Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 5:36 pm    

Dave: I agree with Ricky, I've got 710's in both my guitars and they always sound consistently great, but I'll tell you what, some days I miss the single coil...and I bet with San Geronimo that single coil through a Fender tube amp is spot on!

Gigging with the SC hasnot a problem, but rehearsing at home with it, being within a mile of very large tv/radio tower seems to wreak havoc on most things single-coil.

Ricky: Would love love love to know the secret!

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 5:52 pm    

I've tried a bunch - two different Telonics models, two different George Ls, an Alumitone, but my favorite by far is the 710.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 9:19 pm    

A friend saw this post and is sending me a 710 that he is not using. Smile

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Dave

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 11:27 pm    

Telonics 409
Chrome 705

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 9:52 am    

I have an alumitone in one guitar and a Telonics in the other. I prefer the Alumitone. They both sound fine, but slightly different.

Side note: MSA's modular pickup system and the ability to instantly swap pickup and compare them is a great feature. I think every builder should license their system and incorporate it into their guitars.