INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  First lap steel (newbie warning!)
K E Sharp

Ohio, USA
Post Posted 6 Nov 2017 7:18 am     Reply with quote

Ok, here goes...

I'm wanting to learn lap steel, and need to buy a good starter that I can play western swing, rockabilly, old time, bluegrass, etc. - basically 1900 to 1960 - and probably some more modern stuff once I get better at it.
I have two kinds of advice so far: get a nice vintage because it'll keep its value and you won't outgrow it, or, get a cheap offshore for 69 bucks and if you can't learn it, chuck it -no loss.
I see the point either way, but I am always drawn to vintage gear.
So, I found this Dickerson with a fixer-upper tube amp (I fixed one years ago)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292312177206

Is this a good deal? I'm a bit leary because I don't see a way to get to the pots/p'up if I needed to. From what I've read here the Dickerson is a good guitar.
Of course from research I fell in love with the National New Yorker and its three way dial, but that's something to aspire to!
You all know a lot more than I do yet, please let me know what you think. I would like as many opinions as I can get!
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post Posted 6 Nov 2017 8:18 am     Re: First lap steel (newbie warning!) Reply with quote

K E Sharp wrote:
I have two kinds of advice so far: get a nice vintage because it'll keep its value and you won't outgrow it, or, get a cheap offshore for 69 bucks and if you can't learn it, chuck it -no loss.

I wholeheartedly recommend option #1, for no other reason than to avoid this common pitfall associated with the second option.

Purchasers of offshore low-dollar lap steels often begin replacing the generic 6-string electric guitar parts installed on the plank of wood (or wood-like mystery material) with aftermarket bridges, nuts, pickups, controls, etc. Pretty soon they have as much $$$ into it that they could have purchased a decent American-made vintage instrument in the first place.
Luke Foo

California, USA
Post Posted 6 Nov 2017 9:13 am     Reply with quote

I was a newbie like you four months ago. I also agree with option 1. I made the mistake of wasting my money on a starter lap steel guitar, but quickly grew dissatisfied with it, and graduated to a custom-made Clinesmith.
Bill Sinclair

Hagerstown, Maryland, USA
Post Posted 6 Nov 2017 10:04 am     Reply with quote

You are correct about not being able to get to the pickup on those MOTS Dickerson guitars. Mine already had some of the covering cut away when I bought it so I made my own pickguard for a new pickup. Worked in a pinch. The seller says the guitar you are looking at works though so under $250 would be a decent deal, especially if you have tube amp repair experience. It would be pretty cool to have a matched set like that. Interesting steel bar that comes with it as well.

You don't have to be in a hurry though. There are deals every week on ebay.
Levi Gemmell

New Zealand
Post Posted 6 Nov 2017 10:59 am     Reply with quote

I started out two and a half years ago with a Dickerson/Magnatone mainly identical to that. Even though I knew what kind of music I wanted to play and I wanted an authentic vintage instrument, I couldn't go overboard spending, and that guitar did wonders for me. Those things are remarkably lightweight, good dimensions to carry around, unusual enough to draw oohs-and-aahs from onlookers, and I found the tone more than satisfying. I'd go ahead - dependent of course, on whether the electronics are in good nick. Wink
Bunny Milne Commodore #287
Shot Jackson JB Frypan #A023
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post Posted 6 Nov 2017 11:28 am     Reply with quote

I'd say it depends. In my experience I started out with a cheap (albeit US built) Morrell that I probably paid $100 for. Sat for years unused (must've had G.A.S. bad when I bought it, as a college student...wasn't into Hawaiian music then). But recently getting into steel guitar, its been really useful, and I did replace the pickup but probably spend a grand total of $50 including custom strings (I wanted flatwounds for C6), a cheap humbucker pickup, and a new pot and jack. The thing is solid and I have no fear taking it outside, leaving it around the house with kids/pets, etc. It works just fine for me as an introductory steel guitar to find my way around these tunings.

Now, I have a vintage Stringmaster winging its way towards me this week. I agree vintage steels are a great deal, but just as a counter-example, it is nice to have a cheap instrument too that you can be less paranoid about. I'm sure I'm going to be playing my Morrell steel quite a bit even after the T-8 takes up residence...just for convenience if nothing else.

....note of warning if you do start with a vintage steel. Just now while writing this post, I clicked on your link. Saw another related steel for a (no, I will not do that pun!) good price, (not that one) and despite my best efforts of self-control I bid on it. Sure I'll get outbid but who knows. So caveat emptor, apparently these things are addictive.
David M Brown

California, USA
Post Posted 6 Nov 2017 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

Add another vote for getting the Dickerson/Magnatone sort of thing.

They made a lot of them, but they sound pretty durn good to me. You could do a lot worse...even better if you fix the amp too.
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post Posted 6 Nov 2017 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

K E Sharp:

The Dickerson sold in the last 10 seconds for 200. Only 1 bid.

Did you get it?

If you did, you'll probably sound just like these guys on Dickersons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0TU-way7HM

K E Sharp

Ohio, USA
Post Posted 6 Nov 2017 8:09 pm     Reply with quote

Please call me K. Lot less typing that way.

Yes, I did get it. Iā€™m glad I contacted the seller, as it turned out eBay had the shipping calculated way way wrong!

The set is already on its way and should be here Wednesday.

I did find out some info on the tonebar. The patent application was filed in 1945 by Olen H Yates of Pontiac, MI. It was granted in 1948, number 2449032. Here is a link to the patent papers: https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/62/a6/ba/2fc31c7a2916e2/US2449032.pdf

He also held a patent for castanet taps for dancing shoes (2161497).
David M Brown

California, USA
Post Posted 7 Nov 2017 7:35 am     Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1950s-Vintage-Magnatone-Pearloid-Lap-Steel-Electric-Guitar-Case/222685098259?_trkparms=aid%3D777003%26algo%3DDISCL.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D48739%26meid%3Df89ead76e816434083dc1bdf5cec418a%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D292312177206&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

another of the little steels.