The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BMI S12 Keyless
Jake Bopp

Tallahassee, FL
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2017 7:01 pm    

Today on my usual pawn shop circuit, this beauty was sitting out on the floor. I debated not buying it at first, because it lacked a case and rod bag. There's some slight rust on the player-side legs. It's a 4x5 with the 5th knee lever unhooked. Weird pedal layout, but it's Extended E9th. I thought most BMI's were Mica, but this one is wood... and damn pretty wood, Purple tinted lacquer. It's also got a double sided changer, and is keyless... I have no idea what I've got here. No date stamp or sticker, nothing. I'm debating just selling it. It's a quite small guitar for me, and I feel like my MSA sounds better. Any advice, information or opinions would be excellent. Perhaps this could find a nice home with any of you gentleman/ladies, if there's any interest. I've been "playing" it for a couple hours. Great player, I say, and doesn't sound bad at all. Very tight and Mechanical. It's different from my Day setup, but it isn't Emmons, either. So... mystery there, too. ha.

Thanks in advance!

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2017 8:57 pm    

Jake, please check you PM's.
Thanks,
Dave

Jake Bopp

Tallahassee, FL
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2017 4:55 am    

Responded!

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2017 11:17 am    

I have one just like this but clear maple, there should be a 4-digit serial # stamped on the bottom edge of the aluminum frame on one end. Mine is #1200, Don Fritsche at BMI told me it was from around 1985. It is very compact, which has its advantages, but still fairly heavy for its size. Mine is about 55# in the case.

It's not my primary guitar but it is a really solid little unit. There are no scissors in the changers, the push and pull rods connect directly to their respective fingers, so it plays like a pull-release with a really nice, smooth pedal feel. Tuning is very stable.

Raises are fairly easy to switch around but the "push" lowers have 2-piece rod and take a bit of finagling. If you're changing from Emmons (or ?) to Day you will need to fabricate a few new rods. I did the opposite to mine when I got it. Swapping the raises on A-B-C is straightforward like any all pull guitar, but the raise and lower rods are completely different so reversing the E raises and lowers for example required modifying or replacing all four of those rods.

Jake Bopp

Tallahassee, FL
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2017 2:47 pm    

1151 is what this one is stamped! The more I inspect, the nicer it is to my eye. Hardly any wear other than dirt on it. I had some folks message me about purchasing it, and I do think I am going to put it up for sale. It wasn't a necessary purchase, I mostly bought it out of curiosity, and to "get it in the family." It should belong to a forum member, not sitting in some dingy junky pawn shop.