The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey LTD 400 hum
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 5:25 pm    

I recently acquired an old LTD 400 from a forum member. The amp has a hum to it that is not affected by any of the volume or tone controls, or the reverb. I brought it to a local amp tech and he couldn't find the problem. Any ideas here on the forum ? Is Mike Brown still at Peavey, perhaps I should give him a call ? thanks !

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 5:38 pm    

Try switching the reverb wiring leads at the amp. That condition is typical of reversed leads. If the hum gets worse, then that's not the problem.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 5:42 pm    

haha ok thanks Jerry !

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 5:47 pm    

Here's Mike's contact info clipped from another thread:

Mike Brown wrote:
Hello Greg,
Thanks for posting. I try to monitor any posts about Peavey products and help that customer. Contact me toll free at 1-877-732-8391, ext. 1180 from 8am to 5pm CST Mon-Friday and I will help.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 8:32 am     LTD 400 Hum

The filter caps most likely need replacing if they have never been replaced. But, other potential problems could be the reverb circuit. Does it hum with the reverb control up or down, or does it matter? It could be a worn out solder connection or any soldered or mechanical connection for that matter.

I recommend that you allow our service techs to service your amp chassis and reverb pan and wiring. Our address is;
Peavey Service Center
Attn; Repair Department
412 Hwy. 80 East
Meridian, MS 39301

Please include a note of symptoms and your daytime phone number. All that you need to send is your chassis, reverb pan and cables.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 11:33 am     Re: LTD 400 Hum

Mike Brown wrote:
The filter caps most likely need replacing if they have never been replaced. But, other potential problems could be the reverb circuit. Does it hum with the reverb control up or down, or does it matter? It could be a worn out solder connection or any soldered or mechanical connection for that matter.

I recommend that you allow our service techs to service your amp chassis and reverb pan and wiring. Our address is;
Peavey Service Center
Attn; Repair Department
412 Hwy. 80 East
Meridian, MS 39301

Please include a note of symptoms and your daytime phone number. All that you need to send is your chassis, reverb pan and cables.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA

thank you Mike. I will do that.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 12:50 pm     Ltd 400

Hope you get it fixed. I just love my LTD and Session 400. I had to do new caps in both also. Upgraded to a Neo speaker too. Nice small clean power machine. I know you have some serious gear and experience. Would love to hear your take on the LTD.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2017 4:45 am    

I picked the amp up from my tech yesterday. The hum seems to be a little less (he replaced a very thin ground wire). caps had already been replaced in the amp. I used the amp on a gig last night and it sounded great. Its my new favorite amp. I used my sarno black box with it.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2017 7:51 am    

I purchased a PV LTD 400 with the factory JBL brand-new in 1977, and truthfully was not all that crazy about it how it sounded with my P/P. I borrowed it to a friend who played keyboard and he promptly blew out the JBL. It sat unused for decades until a couple years ago when I pulled it out of the closet, cleaned it up, and replaced the blown JBL with a 1501-4 from a Nashville 400. It sounds awesome, and it's quiet as a church mouse. Ironically, it's never had one iota of service; everything besides the speaker is totally original. My only nit picks are that the reverb sounds crappy and is somewhat noisy, and the glue which holds the black paper or fabric inserts to the aluminum knobs is failing.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2017 8:21 am    

If you REALLY want to lower the hum, have your tech put in these power supply caps (18,000uF @ 63v):
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier-CDE/380LX183M063A082/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwFf0viD3Y3WPyvz8CmpD%2fCyGE1PCBuM8%3d