The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MXR Resonator FX Pedal ?
Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2017 2:00 pm    

Hi, I'm trying to figure out which pedal to use with my PSG that really simulates the sound of the peda well, I read in some old posts about Boss BoBro or MatchBro, I saw in the Al Brisco store that's for sale the MXR resonator, some of you ever used this MXR Resonator FX Pedal? Thanks to all those who will give their opinion on these pedals, thanks Francesco from Italy Smile

http://www.steelguitarscanada.com/online-store/products-page-2/buffer-amps-fx-pedals-accessories/mxr-resonator-fx-pedal/

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2017 3:32 pm     Fishman Jerry Douglas pedal

I tested on my PSG with my Fishman Jerry Douglas pedal I placed the N8 image and blend at best, I was shocked I sounded my good sound Whoa! Whoa! then I used the plastic TV remote to simulate the ahahahaha bar, it worked i was puzzled by all this ahahahahah, now i have to find a real plastic BAR where can i find this? Francis Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Francesco Porcu on 30 Oct 2017 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 2:20 am    

I have a Matchbro and one of the Tom Bradshaw MXR units. I bought the Tom Bradshaw model as my Matchbro developed a problem and I didn't think I could fix it. The Matchbro is the BEST dobro simulator PERIOD. The Tom Bradshaw is very good and is an acceptable unit, if you cannot get a Matchbro.

I have fooled many with my MatchBro and even Bluegrass musicians. But, you must think Dobro and play like you are playing a Dobro and not just an "effect unit".

There were three versions of the MatchBro and the "MatchBro II" is to be avoided as it is fixed and not adjustable like the others.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 2:49 am     MatchBro

Thank you Jack for your answer, yesterday for the first time I did the test with my Fishman Jerry Douglas pedal I have to say I was impressed, but I also have to admit I have never tried the MatchBro, you have some small videos where can you see it running? Thank you Francesco Smile

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 4:15 am    

No videos. I had some comparison samples when I had a web site, but I can't find them.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 1:41 pm     MatchBro

Thanks a lot to Jack for the email you sent me, really a great sound Smile Smile

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 2:06 am    

Which was more realistic? The Matchbro or MXR?

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 11:53 am     MXR Resonator

Jack never tried a MXR or Machbro, I hope one day to try and understand which of the two would be the most original sound of the good, on this site you can hear some audio files where you hear the MXR in action

https://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/resonator.php

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 9:35 pm    

The one that is built in to the Telonics amp is the best I have used, and have owned them all...

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 6:20 am     MXR Resonator

Hi John, what effect do you talk about? On what scale do you find it? Whoa!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 7:08 am    

John is referring to the Telonics TCA-500 amplifier whixh has a dobro effect built in:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Telonics%20Amp/Telonics%20Amp.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 10:35 am     MXR Resonator Dobro Duplication Sound

I have sent Mr. Porcu the name and email address of a fellow Italian who bought one of the Resonators from me. Hopefully, he and that customer can get together and he can discover the sound he will get by using one. However, the sound he gets from the Resonator will depend on the instrument he has, the amplification system he employs, and the positioning of his speaker. [Let us also not forget that to sound like a Dobro player requires that you play as a Dobro player plays.] Let me explain a few by example:

Several years ago I posted a topic here on the Forum about "What you hear is what is NOT what is heard by your audience." Here is the gist of that topic.

Steel players prefer to place their amp (or amp's speaker) behind them. They set the tone, volume and their other effect device's sound to please themselves. When that sound gets to their audience, it is typically not the sound that the player is hearing with the amp blaring in their ears. In that topic I detailed a prime example of a major steel player who allowed me (and another friend of his) to change his amp's sound so that it was very pleasing when it was projected to the people listening in the audience (actually on a dance floor). With the changes we made in his tone, reverb and effects, the player's sound was great for the set he played. At the end of the set we told him how well he sounded. He didn't believe us, stating he couldn't live with it the way it sounded to him. Upon his return to the stage, he immediately returned his amp to the sound that was pleasing to him. For the rest of the night his sound was far less pleasant (in my opinion and his friend's).

I believe this situation exists with the Resonator. What the player hears is not what a listening audience hears. I've concluded that on the basis of the many Resonator users who have told me that audience members have approached the band, asking who the Dobro player is, since they don't see the instrument on stage. To me, that is the evidence that my Resonator is projecting the Dobro sound. Granted, everyone's ears will hear sound a little differently and all musicians strive for the "perfect" representation of the sound they seek. Unfortunately, what they hear at their amp's close range is not what is heard about 20 feet in front of them. That situation is the reason there are so many amp, guitar, bass and steel manufacturers; they are trying to please the ears of all us players. But then, isn't "Variety Is The Spice of Life?"

I'd suggest that users of my Resonators try asking other musicians to listen from at least 20 feet away from the amp, then tell them how well they are duplicating the tonal quality of a Dobro. But then, I'm sure their report will NOT be "it is exactly like a real Dobro." No Dobro duplicating effect will sound "exactly" like a real Dobro. All pedal steels do not sound "exactly" like all the others! ...Tom
P.S.: On a pedal steel, to sound like a Dobro is to play like a Dobro player. Dobro playing is as much the style of delivery than the sound. Try delivering pedal steel licks on a Dobro and see if it sounds like a pedal steel.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 11:36 am     MXR Resonator

Hello Tom, thank you so much for your acoustic description on the sound factor, when you play live there are many factors that affect the sound that will come out of the amplifier or acoustic system, but usually there is always a good set up standard that is fine to the musician of Pedal that the sound they will hear on the stage, the musician always feels different from what the audience feels, thank you for your email you sent me, your customer is from Milan but I live in an island of Sardinian name far away from Milan, but I think I can try the MXR pedal sooner or later with my pedal, I'm sure it's a great effect that reproduces the sound of the good, thank you again for your attention in my post and I hope it is help for so many players like me. Francesco Smile Smile Smile

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 1:57 pm    

I came across a used MXR/Bradshaw unit at a decent price and snagged it, and I'm really glad I did. I purchased it to replace a BOSS GE-7 that I had been using for a resonator effect. With its sliders set in the shape of a football, the BOSS does the job adequately, but it's a noisy little bugger with a constant hiss.

I should be clear that in no way had it been my intent to use it with my pedal steel. When I play pedal steel, I want it to sound like a pedal steel, not a reso. I use it with a 6-string lap steel set up in the high-bass G tuning, and it mimics a reso convincingly. At least to my old ears.

I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Bradshaw that the key to making it sound like a Dobro is to play it like it's a Dobro. And that means Dobro tuning, heavier, higher-tensioned strings, and a Stevens bar. That's difficult to do on a pedal steel with its closely spaced, relatively light strings, and conventional E9 or C6 tunings.

In my opinion, the MXR/Bradshaw Reso pedal is a quality product that works really well for me the way I use it. Thanks for all your work bringing it to market, Mr. Bradshaw.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 7:06 am    

Jack Hanson wrote about the Boss GE-7: "With its sliders set in the shape of a football, the BOSS does the job adequately, but it's a noisy little bugger with a constant hiss. "

A football is elliptical in shape (a "deformed" circle).
How do you set the sliders in the shape of a football?

I always thought that the standard GE7 "dobro" settings for the sliders were alternated all the way down, all the way up, down, up.......

The hiss issue: I got a GE7 used, beat to snot, but totally working off of CL a while back for $12.
It was stock and yep, it hissed.
There are several different versions of the circuit board, but to make a long story short, I replaced three of the main op amps (the easy ones) with higher quality ones.
I didn't do any of the other op amps or caps or whatever mods from the internet.
It absolutely made a night/day improvement in the hiss/noise.