The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Tone Block vs. Pro Block -- *update* -- got the Pro
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 6:23 am    

I'm looking into a grab & go micro rig and I'm stuck on the choice between the Tone Block 201 and the Pro Block 200.

They are (I presume) identical except that the Pro Block has reverb and a limiter and one less tone shaping tool.

For anyone with experience with both of these,
Specific questions:

-- Is the limiter in the Pro an asset? Cool? Meh?
-- Is the elimination of one tone shaping knob in the Pro a loss? An unfortunate trade-off? Meh?

Onboard reverb is the only reason I'd go with the Pro but I have pedalboard options and I'd choose the Tone Block in a heartbeat if the extra tone knob has real value.

Last edited by Jon Light on 31 Oct 2017 12:03 pm; edited 3 times in total

Josh Braun

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 9:09 am    

I haven't used both, but I use the Pro Block 200 as my "light rig".

I use it as a replacement for the Steelaire I used to run.

As such, I like the limiter - it was, for me, an essential feature. It improves the clean headroom and sustain (if set as such). I keep mine at 12 o'clock.

I've found the one "tone control" to be sufficient for my needs (fwiw, i run a telonics 12" in a mojotone cab - I've found that speaker - or "class Fendery speakers" - to get the results I want with the Pro Block). That being said, it would be nice if the Pro Block had the same EQ settings as the Steelaire IMO.

One major difference is that the Pro Block only uses the FullQ voicing AFAIK. That works for me - but if you're a fan of the other voicings it could be a deal breaker.

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 9:12 am    

As a Steelaire owner, I can say the limiter feature is a must have.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 9:38 am    

I honestly expected a 'meh' on the limiter so this is a surprise. Thanks. Very informative.

So a question for Tone Block people -- are the voicing settings a big plus or do you tend to stay with the FullQ and would be fine without a selector?

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 5:36 pm    

I have had the 200, 201, and pro block. I prefer the pro block for the reverb. On the 201 I preferred the 'full q' tone anyway. The limiter is useful for fine tuning the overdrive. The pro block is great for a small amp for rehearsals, but it is plenty powerful for just about any gig. I do prefer to use a small tube preamp with it.
I recently returned from 3 weeks in Argentina where I used the pro block a lot. (it will work on 220volts with no transformer needed) Since the pro block has a passable reverb and overdrive, I didn't feel compelled to take any effects boxes.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 3:17 am    

Thanks Glenn. That's really helpful.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 12:01 pm    

Just received a Pro Block (found a nice price on a store return).

I've only got an hour's playing time with it but it's a keeper. The tone shaping needs some exploration. It seems to cover most of the ground I need. I just need to get more familiar with the less-than-convention (not T-M-B)front panel. I've got a a Freeloader in front for a bit more tone tweaking and if need be I can put an EQ in front but I don't see that as essential.

The reverb is good enough. One less thing to carry. It is a little thin and trebley. If I were looking for fat, saturated and dripping, I've got pedals for that.

I've got a few speakers to choose from and I'll be taste testing to see which I like the most in my old ultralite Marrs cab.

There is absolutely no question that this will be good little gig rig with lots of juice. It sacrifices very little in tone. My old lightweight rig was a Crate Powerblock and there's just no comparison.

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 4:32 pm    

yes it is a bit trebly, I have found it more managable with a preamp or even just a simple capacitor tone control