The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  After Gig Surprise
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 6:35 am    

After a recent gig I had a surprise when trying to remove a wheel off the car. Four lug nuts came of easily. Then the fifth one. What is this? What tool would I use to remove it! Anyone’s recognize it?

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 6:48 am    

It looks like a locking lug nut, sometimes provided with custom wheels, although it's a little different than the ones I've seen before. A car equipped with these requires an adapter that goes into the standard lug nut wrench that will fit this shape. It's normally in the glove box or spare tire compartment somewhere.

As a theft deterrent I think they're of questionable value, and if you don't have the adapter it's a real PIA. I've bought two vehicles with these, and the first thing I did was replace them with the stock nuts. I figure if somebody wants your wheels that badly, they'll get them anyway.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 7:20 am    

Thank you Bill, that makes sense. I used a 14 metric and smashed it on to the round part.

Slowly it Came off! I don’t want to do that to the other three. It’s a weird pattern and no one I know recognizes it and were to find an adapter.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 9:04 am    

My first thought would be to take it to a reputable tire shop. They probably have a toolbox drawer full of different keys, or another way to remove the other three. I really doubt that you'll be able to find a match for the key pattern to replace it.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 9:18 am    

Thank you Rick, I will do that!

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 9:20 am    

Bill Terry's explanation is exactly right. That's what it is.

It's debatable on their effectiveness. A pro will find a way to get around them easily. As for some spur-of-the-moment thief, it might convince them to go elsewhere.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 10:20 am    

As my daddy always said, the only one your locks are gonna stop is the preacher.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 12:55 pm    

Well, someone has to ask ? Who put that on ? Was it a used car you purchased or maybe a new car ? Question Because that is definitely a LOCKING LUG NUT which came with the adapter, which should be in the car, somewhere ! ( or not) Very Happy

I have these on trailer wheels where the trailer is parked for multiple days at trade shows. They do not prevent someone from stealing the wheels but they sure make it a task that probably isn't worth it Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 1:41 pm    

My near new VW Amarok came fitted with locking nuts & the adapter is in the vehicles tool kit.
They don't stop anyone stealing the wheels, 'cause they just take the whole car! Oh Well

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 4:39 pm    

They make a special socket set we used as mechanics for removing the Unknown lug nut. It ruins the nut as it has left hand threads to cut into unknown locking nut and remove. Not a cheap tool! We always hated those locking nuts because people loose or misplace the original key tool. Lol.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 5:08 pm    

These and many similar tools are available for removing locking lug nuts:

https://www.amazon.com/HANSON-Lugnut-Specialty-Extractor-54125/dp/B001ACPRFU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1508893281&sr=8-10&keywords=locking+lug+nut+remover

ebay has individual sized locking lug nut removal tools for around $6 each.

"Bought these to get the wheel locks off a car I bought that came without a wheel lock key. The way they worked best for me was to get a big hammer, and pound directly on the Irwin socket driving it on to the lock. Give it a good couple of whacks with a good heavy hammer, then put on the extension and back the lock off. I used an electric impact and starting it as I have stated above, it worked great." (reviewer)

My last 5 vehicles all have had locking lug nuts. These will not stop even the most primitive of thieves but they seem to be a great marketing tool for selling fancy cars and wheels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 9:54 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
As my daddy always said, the only one your locks are gonna stop is the preacher.

Like it! My daddy used to say: 'Locks keep honest men that way'.

HAGD. Cool