The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 tuning is perfect for “breadboarding”
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 5:35 am    

In the time since I wrote this post, the Jules Ah See C13 tuning has become my main squeeze. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I used a C6/A7.

Although the high G string would definitely come in handy for me at times, I still opt for the low C string. I find that I use that more. I usually like to expand downward and also make changes in the low end when I do make changes at all. Well, except for a few really cool little things that I've found. Smile

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 8:32 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
In the time since I wrote this post, the Jules Ah See C13 tuning has become my main squeeze. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I used a C6/A7.

The Ah See tuning is quite interesting - I tuned my 8 string to it and it seems a very useful tuning.

P.S. I may also have had a breakthrough on C6. It's all making sense.

Einar Baldursson

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 9:05 am    

Great thread. I really like the idea of using basically one tuning with variations. I'm also hooked on the Ah See and find that if I just tweak one or two strings I can get a lot of the sounds I love in the E13 and B11 tunings. But really plain vanilla C6 is amazing enough and with slants and superimposition there is a lot to work with.

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 11:37 am    

The C13 with the low C is what I used for a long time, and I don't even remember why I switched to the high G. Everything is a tradeoff with steel guitar tunings, and It's all a matter of what you use the most in the music you're playing most often. I've been thinking I should set up one of my guitars with the low C again, and see how much I use it. That's what's on most of my older YouTube videos.

E
C
A
G
E
C
Bb
C

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 10:55 pm    

Einar Baldursson wrote:
Great thread. I really like the idea of using basically one tuning with variations. ...

Yes, this thread has given me much food for thought since I responded. After some consideration, I realised that I want to keep a 2nd tuning to something that I could easily orientate to, when moving from C6. Last night, I switched my second neck to this:

1 F
2 D
3 B
4 G
5 E
6 C
7 Bb
8 G

So now I have a C7 and a C Maj7 easily to hand. Still need to try this in a band situation but I think having the G below will strengthen the 7 chord. I thought about leaving the 4th string G out and adding an A on top but I tried tuning the 1st string up to an A and could feel that the tension in the string wasn't going to last too long!

With the current variation I also have a straight bar to the 3rd chord (Em7), the 5th chord (G7) and then the Diminished on the top 3 strings. two frets down I have the minor 2nd and major 4th chords and, the first and third chord tones of the minor 6th. At some point in my development I will be able to think, as Mike does, and grab a minor to suggest the Maj7 but until then, I still need a safety net of having it where it's most intuitive to me.

I've been a member of this forum since I started playing steel and I used to think, how many discussions on tuning can there be. Now, here I am contributing to one... is this a good sign?

\ paul

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 11:28 pm    

Paul Seager wrote:
Einar Baldursson wrote:
Great thread. I really like the idea of using basically one tuning with variations. ...

Yes, this thread has given me much food for thought since I responded. After some consideration, I realised that I want to keep a 2nd tuning to something that I could easily orientate to, when moving from C6. Last night, I switched my second neck to this:

1 F
2 D
3 B
4 G
5 E
6 C
7 Bb
8 G

So now I have a C7 and a C Maj7 easily to hand. Still need to try this in a band situation but I think having the G below will strengthen the 7 chord. I thought about leaving the 4th string G out and adding an A on top but I tried tuning the 1st string up to an A and could feel that the tension in the string wasn't going to last too long!

With the current variation I also have a straight bar to the 3rd chord (Em7), the 5th chord (G7) and then the Diminished on the top 3 strings. two frets down I have the minor 2nd and major 4th chords and, the first and third chord tones of the minor 6th. At some point in my development I will be able to think, as Mike does, and grab a minor to suggest the Maj7 but until then, I still need a safety net of having it where it's most intuitive to me.

I've been a member of this forum since I started playing steel and I used to think, how many discussions on tuning can there be. Now, here I am contributing to one... is this a good sign?

\ paul

The Journey is all part of it. Emmons and Morrell and Jernigan all spent years as well refining a tuning or two.

Paul All the chords you mention are easily played with this tuning. E13 in C as you like the lower C sound.

1. D
2. C
3. A
4. G
5. E
6. D
7. C
8. Bb

You will enjoy the drop 2 M7 chord and root position. But once again so many inversions and voicings are sacrificed but all the chords you listed above are easily available. More strings even a low G offer some more Dom7 inversions in reverse slant and m7 and many others.

Enjoy your journey can't wait to see what you eventually settle on and why?
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 11:32 pm    

Example your Dim chord is an easy reverse slant (I classify it as the easiest cause its simply the C chord. C, E, G and then because of the low D in between it gives perfect spacing for you to reveres or drop back one fret for the E and G.

So

C, E, G

C, Eb, Gb

So diminished chords simply are played directly off of the normal root Major. easy as pie.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"