The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  repair links?
Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 5:31 am    

I have checked the links here at the site and they are all for manufacturers. Does anyone know where I can find a link for people who do repairs and restorations?

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 5:56 am    

Jim Palenscar,
http://www.steelguitars.me/

Top shelf.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 6:02 am    

thank you, am looking for something closer to 12516, upstate N.Y. I don't know if I can even get this beast out of the house to ship it. With the weight it is, it will probably be more economical to drive it somewhere than to ship it?

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 6:39 am    

What kind of guitar do you have that needs repair? What exactly are you looking to do?

Cheers,

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 7:34 am    

This brings up a good point. There should probably be a link to repair shops/individuals. It could include amp repairs and customizations. There are always people making posts looking for repair guys.

Of course that would require someone to look in the links section. Most don't. Many of the questions posted could have been answered by looking in the links section.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 8:26 am    

Mike Scaggs wrote:
What kind of guitar do you have that needs repair? What exactly are you looking to do?

Cheers,

I am new at this and just purchased a ZB Custom D10. I have played a wee bit in the past so am not totally ignorant of the instrument. Once I get it up and going it should be gone over by someone who really knows what they are doing. Except for being in tune I wouldn't really know if the instrument is performing up to its potential.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 8:44 am    

Kevin Hatton (a forum member) in Buffalo is your man. He restores ZB's and has even built some. A friend from York, Pa has a ZB SD-10 that Kevin built and Kevin went over his D-10 ZB.

http://www.hattoncases.net/

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 9:01 am    

thank you Jack. As a machinist and a mechanic and a musician I will get it as far as I can and then go from there. I am getting some feedback from folks around my way also. First I have to learn and study the mechanics of the instrument before I go tinkering with anything. I have been laying under it seeing how the mechanisms work. There is more play than should be in the knee levers so I will have to address that. I have to get it in tune first. That should be an adventure. I am not sure which allen bolts adjust which pedal, lever, etc so I have to get under there and see what is what just to tune it.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 3:58 pm    

You could contact John Widgren from Wilton, Connecticut. He's very good at repairs and refurbishing. He is a member of the SGF.
Also, Tommy Cass from ( I think? ) Baldwinsville, Mass. he's another expert at repairing and refurbishing steel guitars. He does excellent work. Also a SGF member.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 6:41 am    

I made bell cranks for someone on the site here about 12 years ago? They sent me one and I copied it and made 20 on CNC lathes and mills out of 304 stainless steel. I think it might have been John from Ct. I don't remember, it was someone in the area. I only charged for the shipping and the shipping was close and wasn't much. I made them in my spare time at work and on company equipment with company stock. I think I may still have the mastercam drawings and programs on one of my computers. If I still have the drawings I should be able to generate the programs still. Don't know what guitar they were for.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 7:12 am     Parts

Hi Jerry, I remember we talked once years ago about you maybe making some lap steel parts for me but it never panned out. The parts (bellcranks) you mentioned making were not done for me. If I do need something made it's good to know about you and your skills and equipment. Great!

BTW I always pay or barter for work done for me, so surely you are thinking of someone else for whom you made parts for shipping costs.

I do not have any experience working with ZBs. The best guy I can think of for ZB work would be Billy Knowles..Do a forum check for the ZB resto he did for Tommy White..its incredible, and Billy is tops in my book.

I think Kevin Hatton also has lots of good ZB expertise, you should give him a shout..one of the good guys.
widcj@hotmail.com

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 8:19 am    

who ever I made them for offered me compensation but I wouldn't take it. I really didn't spend anything on doing it but spare time at work. I would be running a different machine or programming and while I was doing that I would program and run the parts. Made the day go faster and gave me something satisfying to do. I never did follow up to find out if they worked or not, don't see why they wouldn't, I copied them pretty well. Then I eventually lost the email address and forgot the name. Getting old.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 11:56 am    

Kevin Hatton,At Retro custom steel guitars,Z.B's are his Thang!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 4:43 pm    

What Stu said, Kevin is a master of ZB's ,one that he redid I remember he converted it to cross rods and bell cranks ,got rid of the 100 lbs or so of scrap iron from the old bar setup. It looked awesome.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 4:54 pm    

I just shot my wad on this and if I decide to go that route I will have to wait awhile. I don't know what the cost would be to refurbish this, I could see it being more than I paid for the guitar, or if it is worth it. I could probably take it apart clean it all up and replace the parts myself but for now I would just like to get it going so I can have something to play for awhile. If I can't do that something will have to be done. I don't know enough about it yet to know what to do to get it in tune or if something is wrong, but I am working on that. From pics I have seen it is all there.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 8:37 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote: "Of course that would require someone to look in the links section. Most don't. Many of the questions posted could have been answered by looking in the links section."

Yeah, or Googling it as well.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 11:22 am    

There is a 'Steel-Related Services' link in the link section with at least two Repair Service Links there. If someone were to put together a short list of links to favorite repair people, I'm pretty sure b0b would be glad to check them out and add them to the list or maybe start a new section just for that. However, I can not speak for b0b, so it sure would be nice if he would chime in here.

That's only dos centavos worth-! Cool !

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 5:28 pm    

Michael Maddex wrote:
There is a 'Steel-Related Services' link in the link section with at least two Repair Service Links there. If someone were to put together a short list of links to favorite repair people, I'm pretty sure b0b would be glad to check them out and add them to the list or maybe start a new section just for that. However, I can not speak for b0b, so it sure would be nice if he would chime in here.

Good idea. But I would probably change the name. 'Steel Related Services' just doesn't reach out and grab me. I wouldn't have thought to look there.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 6:42 pm    

I went back to the links page and did not find that link until I typed Steel-Related Services into the search function. Then after I did that I realized there was a pull down menu with more links on it.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 8:42 pm    

Michael Maddex wrote:

Not a bad idea. I'd be happy to do that. By the way, the "Links" resource isn't actually a part of the forum - it's on my personal web site (on a different server).

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 5:30 am    

b0b, I like that idea also. I get frequent inquiries as to who does repairs. I usually try and find someone in their immediate area but I do not have any comprehensive list.

If the guitar techs could be listed by region, I believe that would be helpful as many have asked if there was someone close enough to drive and drop off their guitar as they didn't want to ship it.

Consider our demographic customer/member base.

Michael

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 7:26 am    

The Wordpress plugin I use isn't that versatile, Michael, but I can put each repairman's location in the description field. Smile

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 7:34 am    

Jerry,
I don't want to throw cold water on your project, but there aren't too many pedal steel mechanics who want to work on ZB's. They're a different animal than most pedal steels.
The last one I worked on, I converting it to a regular cross shafts setup. I got rid of all the John Deere hardware under the hood.
It would up looking like this:

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 7:47 am    

Another problem I see, is the buttons on top of the page kind of get lost in the coloring of the page. They don't stand out. The blue text box under them with the white text really stands out. Maybe different color buttons, or maybe better, just make the text in the button a blue background and white text.

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 7:53 am    

Totally understand Bob. I believe that whatever you come up with will be an asset.

My customers ask me all the time if I work on guitars and I have to tell them that I don't. The next question is always "Who does?"

Not all of my customer base is familiar with the forum but I do my best to direct them here and sign up.

I firmly believe that this (the Forum) is THE BEST resource out there!

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/