The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics 409 in a Mullen RP
Kevin Barber

Marianna, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 9:45 am    

I have done a search and also asked a few people on the forum who have 409 pickups in their Mullen RP's. It seems the Mullen pickup pockets may be smaller than the normal pockets. Everyone I have contacted said the 409 pickups were already installed in their RP's and they did not actually install them.

My question to anyone who has actually installed the pickups themselves is, did the install require any sort of modification to the pickup pocket or the pickup itself? I'm going to attempt the install myself and was wanting to know what hurdles I may be facing. I wouldn't want to take out the current pickup and go on trial and error alone, hehe.

Thanks for any and all help.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 11:42 am    

You will need to specify a narrow mount unit when ordering. Recently installed a '206' in my pre RP and experienced no problem with the change...FYI: A handy feature concerning the Telonics pickups; they are shipped in a round plastic tube which doubles as a method to hold your strings at a distance so that you can change pickups without actually removing the strings. Instructions are included with the unit.

Kevin Barber

Marianna, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 12:50 pm    

Thanks Mr. David. I guess I should have mentioned I did get the narrow mount on the 409. Hopefully all will go well.

Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 2:42 am    

Hmmm....I was told by Telonics that the 409 wont fit a PRE RP Mullen. Are the cavities different between the two?

Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 2:44 am    

Hmmm....I was told by Telonics that the 409 wont fit a PRE RP Mullen. Are the cavities different between the two?

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 4:16 pm    

It's important to measure before buying to making pickup swaps. Measure the cavity opening if you can with a vernier caliper and then make sure you have the pickup's exact dimensions as well.

With the many variations of psg even among the same brand there is not much consistency in pickup mounting areas and pickups and aftermarket pickup makers don't have every psg model in front of them to make judgements on fitment.

Kevin Barber

Marianna, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 8:56 pm    

Dave, the pockets may vary in size between the two, I'm not sure. I'm sure SOME of the 409 pickups will fit in a Mullen RP because there are some RP's that have them. It will be just my luck that the one RP that I have, won't accommodate the 409, LOL!!!

Godrey, NOW you tell me to measure, Laughing That's certainly something I should have done prior to getting the 409. I put a 409 in my first steel, which was a GFI Ultra, and it fit perfectly and sounded really good in it.

I guess the only sure way to know is to just take the stock pickup out and TRY to put in the 409. If it fits, great, if not, well, .....oops, my bad. Embarassed

Thank you for all the replies, I'll post the result either way after I attempt to put the 409 in.

Thanks again guys!! Very Happy

Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 3:09 am    

Hey Kevin.I think you will be ok with the RP. The PRE RP is what I have.I'm thinking about taking the necks off and having the cavity routed out to accept the 409.I've read so many good things about them.Please post your results.My guitar is real bright on the top end and I can't seem to get it out.If I eq the highs out then my lower strings are muffled.I was told I won't be able to fix it because its in the guitar but I refuse to give up on this guitar.Anyway I've rambled enough.Dave

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 4:04 am    

From the information provided here it appears that the base plates on different models of Telonics pickups vary in size? As previously stated; the model '206' that I installed in my Mullen pre RP (early model, possibly mid '80's) dropped in with no problem whatsoever.

Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 8:00 am    

Sophie from Telonics just emailed me and gave me specs on the 409.It is 4.5x1.4.The cavity on my guitar is. 4.56x1.37.Definately will need to modify it to get a 409 in it.Dave I'm curious about the 206.I told Dave at Telonics the issue I was having and he suggested a 206.Your opinion would be appreciated since you have a PRE RP.Thanks Dave

Kevin Barber

Marianna, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 5:41 pm    

Well, stranger things have happened, I suppose. I put the Telonics 409 pickup in my Mullen RP, and it fits. Not any wiggle room, but nothing had to be forced in.

Dave, thanks for the info! I don't know how it fit, but it sure did. hehe.

I will get it wired up tomorrow and see how it sounds. Thanks for all the responses!!!!!!

Kevin Barber

Marianna, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 11:41 am    

I'm thinking the 409's measurements, as far as the width goes, is measured at the top of the pickup. It seems the top plate of the pickup is the widest part of it, but the lower part of the pickup fits into the pocket.

Just an afterthought, if that makes a difference to anyone. hehe.

Ron Bryson

Bonifay, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 10:39 am    

Kevin,
Doin' better here, bring that Telonics over for a listen.
Ron