The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  National New Yorker
Tom Mack

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 9:12 am    

I'm the happy new owner of a National New Yorker. The serial number, 3175G, dates it to 1940-1942 and it's in pretty good shape for it's age. The nut is chipped on the ends and the wooden hand rest is missing the top cross piece. I've attached a number of pictures including some of the internals for the famous "Hawaiian, Chimes, Harp tone switch. As some have figured out, the tone switch has the center lug grounded and each outer leg goes to a different capacitor. The capacitors are labeled "inside and outside" perhaps referring to the leg of the pot they are attached to. The value on the inside pot is .02 mf - 200 volts. I couldn't see what the other one was.
It sounds really good, especially after I adjusted the pickup pole pieces so that the volume on each string was equal. Some of the pole pieces had not been turned in about 50 years and were difficult to get going. I hope this adds to the knowledge base about these great guitars.
The tuners are exposed to show that they are Kluson

Tom Mack

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 9:14 am     National New Yorker

The last picture isn't my steel but shows what the wooden hand rest looks like when it is all there. I'm wondering what kind of wood it is made of since I'd like to repair mine which is missing the cross piece on top.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 11:14 am    

A great find, Tom. Those 6 string National New Yorker Steels sound really great. I can't help you regarding the type wood for the hand rest
shown in the last photo.

I have a 1936 7 string model with a metal hand rest, and a 1947 6 string model with a clear plastic hand rest. Both are shown below. I suggest
that you contact one of the Forum National vintage steel experts or dealers regarding the type wood for the hand rest shown in the last photo.

C. E. Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Tom Mack

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 4:43 am     National New Yorker

Great examples of different vintage New Yorkers C.E.! I guess your 1930's model has the extra pickups under the bridge? Which pickup sound do you prefer between your 2 New Yorkers?

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 5:57 am    

Tom Mack wrote:
Great examples of different vintage New Yorkers C.E.! I guess your 1930's model has the extra pickups under the bridge? Which pickup sound do you prefer between your 2 New Yorkers?

Thanks,Tom. The extra pickups are concealed on the 1936 7 string model. The pickup
sounds are different. However, I prefer the sound of the 1947 6 string model.

C. E. Smile
A6 tuning for steels

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 9:42 am    

C. E. Jackson wrote:
Tom Mack wrote:

Thanks,Tom. The extra pickups are concealed on the 1936 7 string model. The pickup
sounds are different. However, I prefer the sound of the 1947 6 string model.

C. E. Smile

I have one very similar to your 1947 6 string, but with the larger pickup ('48/'49?). These are fine sounding instruments.

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 7:34 am    

FYI - just noticed a 7 string New Yorker for sale on Reverb (listed as 1937 or '3Cool for $695+.

Not me selling it, and I don't know the seller. If I didn't already have a New Yorker I'd be tempted.