The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice on Selling Price for "BLONDIE" 1964 Emmons
Gary Morrison

Centennial, CO, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 9:57 am    

I'm going to finally put my 1964 Emmons up for sell, which I have owned now for 50 years. I began a post about this in Steel Players, which you are welcome to look at, but the post should have been here, under Pedal Steel. I know that there are many Emmons experts on the Forum. I first ran a post about this guitar on 01/14/2002, and there is a lot of info there about it.

I am the second owner of the guitar, as the first owner was Buddy Emmons. I am seeking information about what would be a "FAIR" asking price for this guitar, as I simply do not know. I have had too many health problems over the last decade, and I am going to have to begin selling some of the guitars I have accumulated over the last 40 years. Go to garymorrison.com to view some of those steels.

This guitar is definitely one-of-a-kind, and I would be happy to answer any questions to help determine what would be a fair asking price. It has been in it's case for "most" of the time since 1970, rarely coming out. It's still in pretty much the original condition as received from Ron Lashley in 1965. It's a non-serialized guitar, I learned from my earlier post. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Gary

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 11:11 am    

I think a rare instrument like that should be on the same auction block that that sell multi-million dollar violins. Christies auction house in New York or Soothby's Auction in Boston, Mass. that deals mostly with the worlds finest and rarest musical instruments. I think it would do your pocket book an injustice to place a cap on the money you could make if you play your cards right. That's the ultimate great musicians are looking for. I don't think a great steel player would be any less than a great violin player.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 11:15 am    

I spelled it wrong. Here is the link.
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2012/musical-instruments-l12250.html

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 11:16 am    

There is one in Boston and one in London. They start advertising it months before the auction takes place.

Check out this 6 string guitar getting ready to go to auction. Estimate is $30-40,000.00 I think more of Buddy Emmons and a 64 model than Curt Cobains trash.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2014/rock-roll-history-presley-to-punk-n09160/lot.94.html

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 11:33 am    

I wouldn't even think steel players when I sell it. I would think a world full of multi-millionaires who buy stuff like that just to say they have it. Paying $100,000.00 on a rare instrument owned by the foremost innovator of pedal steel is nothing to those people. One things for certain. They ain't making no more of those.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 11:43 am    

Can't help but agree with David, but it all boils down to whatever is most important to you: Maximizing your investment, or making some fortunate steel player extremely happy.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 12:11 pm    

That's right Jack! Even making it a donation to charity is a good thing. I'll put it like this. Last year I had $35,000.00 cash in my hand to spend that wasn't needed for bills. I bought 8 pedal steel guitars with the money (expensive ones including a freshly rebuilt push pull Bryan Adams had built for himself with 10 polished knee levers. I gave $5500.00 for it to get it to my house. It was a 1971 model on the frame. If I had seen this guitar back then I would have spent it all on this one 64 wraparound Emmons. None were available then. I don't have the finances at this time but that will give you a glimpse at one man's view.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 12:28 pm    

I don't know him, but forum member Chris Lucker seems to have a lot of experience and knowledge concerning these early Emmons. You might hit him up with a PM and see if he has anything he is willing to share.

Gary Morrison

Centennial, CO, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 1:19 pm    

Thanks for the kind words, David and Jack. I'd be surprised if Sotheby's would be interested in anything like this. But who knows?
Jerry: Thanks for your advice: I'll look up Chris Lucker and see what I find out.
Gary

Mel Bergman

Camarillo, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 8:17 pm    

Well, that's just a whole lotta bitchin.....

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 1:38 am    

It's the guitar in this ad, right??

Gary Morrison

Centennial, CO, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 5:59 am    

That's it, Jussi. One and the same.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 9:09 am    

Note the terminology in that era: "ten & eight" meaning ten strings and eight pedals.

The pic in the ad doesn't show the one knee lever that's on the guitar now.

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 8:23 pm    

I’d say that’s just about the coolest guitar ever. Birdseye wraparound??? Too much. I’ll give you two bolt ins for it!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 4:36 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Note the terminology in that era: "ten & eight" meaning ten strings and eight pedals

Did Emmons actually make a single-neck with eight pedals??

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 5:45 am     Recordings and vids ?

Does anybody know what recordings Buddy Emmons did with this steel and if there are any more pictures or vids of him playing it ?

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 8:49 am    

That is the coolest Emmons I have ever seen. Wow!

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 2:00 pm    

Quote:
Did Emmons actually make a single-neck with eight pedals??

Would have been a custom order after 64. They made a lot of single tens with 6 pedals in the mid 60's.

Quote:
Does anybody know what recordings Buddy Emmons did with this steel and if there are any more pictures or vids of him playing it ?

Would like to know also. I haven't run across any.

As for the guitar. As I wrote 15 years ago. It's a 65. It has a pedal bar decal on the front apron. The fret boards are 2 of the first 50 fret-boards Emmons used. Or a copy of. Hard to tell from the picture. But note the 24 frets.
Would still love to see the under carriage. To see if it's straight 65 or a mix of maybe late 64 and 65. Just my non-expert opinion.

Now the experts are welcome to take me to school. I try to learn something every day if possible. Smile A really cool old guitar.

b.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 1:08 pm    

And it has the original design knee lever.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 3:26 pm    

Abe Levy wrote:
I’d say that’s just about the coolest guitar ever. Birdseye wraparound??? Too much. I’ll give you two bolt ins for it!

Me first Abe!!

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 4:41 pm     Historical

Interesting history of Emmons development early-on. My quizzical brain cells (most are still operating well) wonder WHY Buddy left it behind for Ron Lashley to sell it off. Were the next batch of guitars better players? Tweaks and mods ahead (such as finger leverage, color of flocking the 'belly'?) made Buddy tag on to the "next generation"?...or were the black mica ones much more "roadworthy" (besides sounding "best"? )..who knows?
Rolling Eyes
If Chris Lucker sees your thread here, wonder if he knows of any other early 'showpiece' wraps in existence. Chris?
Otherwise, I think it is worth at LEAST 2 Infinities! 👍😁. ..or 3?

GOOD LUCK with the sale..hope all involved are happy! JZ

Last edited by Jon Zimmerman on 24 Oct 2017 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 6:37 am    

Cool guitar, Gary! Best wishes with your health issues and with the sale of your guitar(s).

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 7:00 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Note the terminology in that era: "ten & eight" meaning ten strings and eight pedals.

The pic in the ad doesn't show the one knee lever that's on the guitar now.

I think the ad means single necks with ten or eight strings and twin necks with ten or eight strings.

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 8:30 am     Twin Eight?

A ck with Mike Cass or Lucker would ans that. Unless a special order? Never heard of a 'twin eight'. Ck that pic of BE at the '64..read top line of the text. By then, 1966 models/mods were being ramped into production = BOLT-ON, tho lotta wrap parts were left over, no doubt/ I can assume. Student '8' and sub pro 8 changers were mounted to the body a diff way, correct?

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 11:46 am    

Craig, that may be more likely. Though if so they should have said ten or eight.

It's true that a single neck with eight pedals doesn't sound like anything that would have been standard.