The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wiring questions
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 10:25 am    

I think I would like to put both L & R signals out of a processor into one out jack. Is this a doable deal?

Phone: 971-219-8533

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 11:14 am    

You might get some problems hooking it up like your picture. It might be worth checking out something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F6PTA04/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of these, and while it has some hiss on higher gain settings, (I use it to mix piezo and magnetic pickups on my cheap acoustic) it should work very well for what you describe. The power supply is wimpy, but it is a commonly available replacement part. Mine gave out and I had a replacement in my junk drawer.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 3:29 pm    

Larry, for stereo line outputs your diagram would work to convert it to a mono output. I would not advise wiring the outputs from 2 different line signals this way.

Bryan Martin

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 4:13 pm    

Larry,

Are you trying to have a stereo signal on a single jack, as headphones are for example? Which is a 3 conductor tip, ring, sleeve (L, R, ground)

Or are you trying to sum stereo outputs to mono? 2 conductors, Tip and sleeve.

Most processors will have some internal method for sending a mono output. If you are trying to sum stereo to mono at the jack you can run into deterioration of sound quality due to phase differences in the L and R signals which when summed can exhibit comb filtering or even cancellation if the signals are out of phase.

Hope this helps, Bryan