The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Preamp for Steelguitar
Philipp Friedrich

Germany
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 12:16 pm    

Preamp for Steelguitar
I am looking for a preamp to use with my steelguitar, looking through the shops of some of the major musical equipment suppliers here in Germany has left me more confused than ever. Besides the differences in price, many explanations of different types and terminology were I don`t understand what it means, what do you need to pay attention to, if you are going to use the device with a steelguitar. Is more expensive always better or will a low cost preamp serve you as well? Is anybody out there using a preamp with his steelguitar and which one could you recommend?
Thank you for your help and advices.

Philipp Friedrich
Trier/Germany

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 12:27 pm    

if you want to try something that doesn't cost much, the Joyo American Sound pedal works pretty well. Though it has no reverb or other effects built in. The Line 6 Pod XT as many features, lots of effects and can easily be found used. They work pretty well. Any preamp that is intended to be used with a bass will probably work too.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 12:30 pm    

It depends on what you are using it for. Recording, live rack system, direct in ears...

Do you need an fx loop, EQ, Reverb ?

And what is your price range ?

With all that most any pre amp that can handle a guitar signal will work fine.

My personal favorite is the Sarno V8. It's amazing sounding.

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 12:31 pm    

Contact Brad Sarno here on the Forum. 👍

Jim Goins

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 5:08 pm     pre amp

It also depends on what power amp you are using, some amps that are not made for steel guitar does not sound good no matter what pre amp you use, I use a DD3 delay pedal and a good reverb amp, peavey sessions 400 Nashville 400 peavey Nashville 112, any of these should give a good country (Nashville) sound and you don't have to spend mega bucks, also what guitar and what pickup are you using, all of these are factors of good steel guitar tone, experiment with some of these. Regards. Jim Goins Smile

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 7:44 am    

If you're lucky you might be able to find a Tube Works "Blue Tube" preamp. My favorite. Very Happy

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 3:13 pm    

A tonic Preamp and Walker Preamp are very nice.

Jonathan Mitguard

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 1:09 pm    

FYD makes a good Pre with an Octal tube. It is hand wired and priced accordingly. The Sarno V8 I'm sure is excellent as are the Walker Stereo Steel Pres. The Preamp is super important and not a good piece to skimp on. The Preamps mentioned above are all built by guys that give a damn and are fairly straight forward. Don't be drawn in by bells and whistles like modeling or built in effects. you just want a Pre that makes a good signal to be amplified. What amp to use then...
Sorry $$$ must be spent.
http://fydamps.com/index.html

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 4:35 am    

And of course the Telonics PRE-1000 sounds truly exceptional, including its stereo DI out with configurable "modeling" circuitry. Not inexpensive but you're buying top pro gear.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 11:21 am    

the best I have ever used ;

2nd best ;

[/url]

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 7:25 pm    

Another tick for the Telonics PRE-1000, I have been using this for a number of years with my rack system and also for recording - outstanding top class unit !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 8:49 pm    

The old LeMay pre is a really good unit also........you might be able to pick one pretty cheap, I think it was the Telonics predecessor.....

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 2:12 am    

Depends on what sound steel you're going for and what your budget is. Is it for live or recording?

Best to work from your planned budget limit and source among items from that price point.

Otherwise there are pre amps designed specifically for steel and the makers are members of this list.

Since you're finding confusion reading the info online, find a player you like the sound of, and get something he/she is using as then you would have a proper sample with much less gamble.

A main thing to look for is the ability for your guitar to interface with a given pre amp; it should be basically an "instrument" input not a microphone or line-in that your pre amp has for inputs to work for steel guitar.

But since there is a wide difference in input impedances, you will go through a trial and error phase. Even guitar players go through this with many guitar amps.

Meaning, does the pickup on your guitar sound good going into the input of an amp/preamp?

Hence since you can't expect to have several pre amps to try (ONLINE) vs going into a brick and mortar store with your guitar to try them out in real time, you would have to rely on another steel player's gear, listening to video demo clips if possible and just take a leap of faith.

If you're not satisfied, welcome to the world of musical instruments.

The search goes on...