The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Power Adapter For Keyboard Roland e7
James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 4:21 pm    

I picked this old thing up at a garage sale for $10.00 and thought I would see if it works.
I am having trouble finding a power adapter to use. (Roland E9 Keyboard.)

The manuals says use only the AC Adapter.......
Later the manual says 12V DC 1700ma (This is on the back also)It can't be both AC and DC.

The polarity is + o - on the back of the keyboard.

Where amps are concerned, will a 2a adapter work o.k. when 1.7 a is the requirement?

Does anyone know where I can get the right adapter for this? I don't want to spend much because it probably doesn't work anyway.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 8:59 pm    

It's OK to go higher in amperage, but never lower. The voltage should be exactly what is called for...12volts DC on this case. So a 2 amp adapter will work fine where a 1700 ma. (1.7 amp) adapter is called for.

Although it may seem confusing, what's usually called an A/C adapter simply refers to the fact that the block plugs into an A/C outlet. Now, the output of the adapter could be AC, or DC, voltage. So, be sure to read the specs on the adapter.

The last thing to verify is whether the polarity of the adapter plug matches the device's requirements.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 6:35 am    

EP-7 appears to be the unit you have. The power supply is a 12V DC output unit. 1700 mA. The diagram you have on the back indicates which pole is pos. or neg. You must maintain that. You must also use a 12V DC output unit with at least 1700 mA. More mA is fine, and you might get by with a little less, say 1500.

I'm looking at the manual diagram, but can't tell whether the power input is center[pin] pos. or neg. That's the main thing...and the proper size barrel connector, You should be able to see it clearly on your keyboard though. [+ O -] a line should be pointing to one of the characters.

Look around online, you can find 'em pretty cheap.

Here's Roland's adapter guide FWIW, maybe a search, crossover etc. I'm going to look around here, I may have something that will work for you...let you know if so.
https://www.rolandus.com/assets/press_media_resources/ACAdapterGuide.pdf

Edit: Here's a cheap one from Amazon...don't know if the polarity is correct though. clickhere

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 8:44 am    

Antique Electronic Supply has an assortment of Power Supplies available. They also have some
Universal Adapters with Polarity Changing Cables.
I find the Prices OK. YMMV. HTH. Have fun with the new Keyboard! Cool

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 9:46 am    

As I said, don't go for a lower amperage for a "wall wart". These things can easily overheat when pushed. Oh, it might work, but I would never advise anyone to try it.

Use a lower amperage if you want to, but be aware you can cause yourself problems.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 9:56 am    

James, the adapter you need is at Sweetwater, and probably other retailers. The adapter model number for a Roland E7 is PSB-4UREPL for $49.99.

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 2:58 pm    

Is there any reason why this one wouldn't work?
The polarity on the keyboard is + o - and this one seems to be the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Negative-Version-CUGLB-Universal-30W-Regulated-Multi-Voltage-Replacement-AC-/172932639411?hash=item284396aab3:g:05oAAOSwH2VZ5jMi

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 3:34 pm    

James, I'd advise you to stay with the Roland unit...PSB-4U REPL. It's the official power supply for the EP7. Notice that the amperage rating on it is 4 amps. It should operate nice and cool.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=roland+PSB-4UREPL&_sop=15

You can still find the original ACL-120 power supply on Ebay.

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 3:49 pm    

My only concern is seeing if the keyboard works. I bought it at a garage sale for $10.00. A universal adapter will have alternative uses. I will honestly be surprised if I can get it to make any noise.

Mike Wheeler wrote:
James, I'd advise you to stay with the Roland unit...PSB-4U REPL. It's the official power supply for the EP7. Notice that the amperage rating on it is 4 amps. It should operate nice and cool.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=roland+PSB-4UREPL&_sop=15

You can still find the original ACL-120 power supply on Ebay.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 4:17 pm    

I see. It's your keyboard. Try it if you like.

BTW...the polarity needs to be center pin positive, sleeve negative...in case you didn't know.

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 5:35 pm    

Mike Wheeler wrote:
I see. It's your keyboard. Try it if you like.

BTW...the polarity needs to be center pin positive, sleeve negative...in case you didn't know.

Can you tell me what exactly you mean by center pin positive. All I see are these kinds of symbols + 0 -
Is that center pin positive?

If the Keyboard works, I promise I will get the adapter you recommend.

Thanks

James

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 5:56 pm    

The plug has a pin in its center and a metal shell surrounding it. On the keyboard the jack has a tiny "hole" in the center for receiving the plug's pin, and a means of connecting to the plug's shell.

If you measure the plug with a voltmeter the red probe would go to the pin, and the black probe would go to the shell. Thus you'd measure approximately positive 12 volts.

I don't recognize the symbols you refer to, but they must mean the same as what I've described above...positive center, negative shell.

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 6:18 pm    

Mike Wheeler wrote:
The plug has a pin in its center and a metal shell surrounding it. On the keyboard the jack has a tiny "hole" in the center for receiving the plug's pin, and a means of connecting to the plug's shell.

If you measure the plug with a voltmeter the red probe would go to the pin, and the black probe would go to the shell. Thus you'd measure approximately positive 12 volts.

I don't recognize the symbols you refer to, but they must mean the same as what I've described above...positive center, negative shell.

The picture below is the same as the one on the keyboard.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 6:36 pm    

OK, James, let's pause for a moment. Can you tell me exactly what the model number for your keyboard is?? Please look at the label on the back of the unit...not the name on the front. I'm confused as to what unit you have.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 1:42 am     Re: Power Adapter For Keyboard Roland e7

James Quillian wrote:

The manuals says use only the AC Adapter.......
Later the manual says 12V DC 1700ma (This is on the back also)It can't be both AC and DC.

The polarity is + o - on the back of the keyboard.

Where amps are concerned, will a 2a adapter work o.k. when 1.7 a is the requirement?

Does anyone know where I can get the right adapter for this? I don't want to spend much because it probably doesn't work anyway.

A 2A adapter should work if your device in 1700ma or 1.7A.

As mentioned not using the proper amperage will cause the keyboard to lose function. If it has built-in speakers, when you try and play loudly the sound will glitch for lack of proper amperage.

Following the connector polarity as shown on the device, some adapters (AC to DC) will have a polarity reverse switch or plugs that reverse connect to compensate for + - polarity as your eBay item shows.

That said, it is best for proper operation and chip protection to use the Roland adapter as not all adapters are the same even with amperage and voltage correct on a universal AC to DC adapter.

If you have stated the right model number on your Roland, an E9 or E09, that is an arranger's tool or WORKSTATION with only 64 note polyphony, which is a dated technology by today's standards. Many modern keyboards have at least 128 note polyphony. Meaning it will only play 64 notes until it repeats. Most won't notice the polyphony limit not unless you're playing classical piano pieces. But for simple chord and solo work you can get much use.

The sounds on an older device will be dated as well and sound karaoke-ish. But does not mean it is not useful at all.

It records tracks, (if it's the E09) hence the "arranger" moniker.