The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My New Discovery
Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 11:25 am    

I'm sure this isn't where this belongs, but I just had to. This is a picture of my new Discovery, arriving tomorrow, from Mike, at Mullen. She looks like a beauty.

Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 11:27 am    

She has polished knees, pedals, and end plates. So far one of a kind. Beautiful Mike. Thanks, you made an ole mans dream come true.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 1:08 pm     very nice

man that awesome Jim very nice!!

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 6:31 pm    

There is something about the colors....gee I like! nice buy Jim.

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 5:34 am     colors

kinda reminds me of my RP

the colors are so cool!

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 9:22 am    

Kinda looks like your RP!

Purdy.

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 9:25 am    

Love the colors.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 4:28 pm    

She came today, and she is beautiful, and everything I'd ever want. Thanks everyone, and especially Mike, at Mullen.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 9:56 pm     Mullen

Wow Jim that is sharp!! Nice color combo. Whoa!
Dick

Ford Cole

Texas
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2017 7:39 am    

Hey Jim...mine doesn't have the color variety that yours does, it's black, but I just love my Discovery. While my ears aren't the most experienced, the playability and sound are just as good as my G2 imho. You're in for a great ride! fc

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 4:39 am    

My first Discovery was Black, played beautiful. The white on this one, is not really white, it is Cashmere Birdseye. It doesn't show the way it really looks, but it is beautiful.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 10:41 am    

Wow that looks nice. The picture of other Discovery guitars I had seen on the net were real plain solid single colors.

That is really cool.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 10:48 am    

The picture does not do it justice. The white is actually a Cashmere Birdseye, and the Red is a Red Burl. They both have figurine design in them. It is really beautiful. I just ordered the polished Pedal Board for it too. It was the first to have polished end plates on the Discovery, if I'm not mistaken. What a difference it has made for me.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 3:52 pm    

Jim Reynolds wrote:
The picture does not do it justice. The white is actually a Cashmere Birdseye, and the Red is a Red Burl. They both have figurine design in them. It is really beautiful.

Given the fact that peoples' monitors aren't calibrated to the same settings as the original image, people won't really see the guitar as it is in reality.

It's a nice looking guitar, though (at my monitor settings... Wink )

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 1:34 am    

Yes, I know, but the white, just show up as white, you don't see the Cashmere or the design in it, and the same with red. That was the only thing I was pointing out. Then the neck is Red/Burl with the pin stripes. I've worked with computer ever since they came out, I just never stayed up to date on all the new stuff. I don't even own a cell phone. I'm just all school. When I first started, they used punch cards, and a print out of the card. 1960 at Valley Forge General Hospital, Phoenixville, Pa Army Hospital.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 4:42 am    

Is that a standard Emmons setup with the Franklin 0 pedal?

Thanks.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 5:40 am    

It is basic Emmons with Franklin at 0, how ever I have my E lower on the RKL.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 4:24 pm    

It now has a new Polished Pedal Board on it. I got the board today, and had it on within 30 minutes. She's a beauty.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 6:37 am    

Gads...I wish Mullen would mention/offer a polishing package option on their website listing for the Discovery. The biggest drawback to the Discovery is not it's mechanical system, it's the rather dull appearance of the hardware.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 8:16 am    

I think, this is the first it has been offered. I don't think there was ever one mfg. with the pedals, knee, end plates and pedal board. You do have to pay for it, but to me, it was well worth it. Mike, is great to work with, and keep you up to date on new things. The end plates was a last minute thing. Prices I can't say, because things change all the time. I just know she was worth every penny.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 8:17 am    

Should be with them polished.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 8:20 am    

Forgive me if this question is improper or out of line but....

Approximately what is the cost to upgrade a Discovery with polished end plates? (I really dislike the black hardware shown on the Discovery on the website) And how much is a two tone color scheme? The White top is really nice and I think it is really functional with my eyesight on dark stages. I think white and blue or white and green would be cool. I hate to rip off your color scheme but it looks great.

I'm in the market for an E9 that is lighter than my 74 MSA D10.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 7:25 am    

I wouldn't really know the actual cost. It was a trade bargain deal on my old Discovery, and this one. It was a really on going process, and things kept coming out that changed the whole thing, so I haven't even figured the cost. As things was changed I would send the cash, not a check, so I didn't keep track. Mike will do you right, and weight difference is remarkable. I use to have a MSA D-10. E-mail or call Mike at Mullen.