The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any new-but-reasonable options for console steels?
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 9:07 am    

Just a general newbie question!

Someday I want to move to a dual neck 8 string setup, I think, and in my initial research I've found there aren't seemingly all that many options for the 2x8 non-pedal guitars...at least that are on the more affordable side (Clinesmith's are lovely but out of my range handily!).

The weird thing I've noticed, though, is how prevalent and relatively affordable the vintage instruments from Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker et al seemingly are. Coming from "Fret-Land" to the world of steel guitar, the prices are amazing, imagine getting a '57 Stratocaster for cheaper than a new custom built six string.

Vintage instruments will probably come with their own "character" and issues, of course, but I'm wondering...if I want a double console someday, am I likely going to get a better deal going for a vintage instrument like a Stringmaster or Gibson console? Or are there a lot of other makers for doubleneck non-pedal consoles that I'm overlooking, that might be worth looking into?

(If my background or musical intent is important, I'm pursuing 50s era Hawaiian style steel guitar...not really much of a country or western swing guy, but the latter may win me over someday...)

Edit: I'd also be highly interested in building my own from parts, I've done a lot of Warmoth builds, but I don't have a lot of woodworking skills...I checked out the Stringmaster kits from Hudson, and then when I was thinking through the cost to make a double console...we were basically up into vintage Stringmaster prices again...so maybe a vintage instrument is a good option?

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 4:27 pm    

I think vintage steels are an amazing bargain.

I can't think of any good quality new instrument that is cheaper than the equivalent vintage Stringmaster - and you won't find a better sounding instrument that a vintage Fender or Gibson in my opinion.

As you said - imagine being able to buy a 50's Fender Tele or Strat for the price of a vintage Stringmaster.

If you want a "player" with a beaten up or non-original finish or without a case then they are even cheaper.

For me the choice between brand new (even though there are some fantastic instruments being built) or vintage with all the associated history, character and cool factor, it's a no-brainer.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 6:01 pm    

Jeff Mead wrote:
I think vintage steels are an amazing bargain.

Agreed.

I recently won an eBay auction for a top-of-the-line 1952 Gibson lap steel. Included was the hang tag, with its original price of $174.50. In 2017 dollars, $174.50 would be approximately $1625.28. I paid closer to one third that price for my lovely vintage Gibson.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 6:21 pm    

I agree with Jeff and Jack regarding affordability of certain vintage steels,
particularly Gibson steels at this time. Most sound great also.

C. E. Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 10:00 pm    

Unless specifically using certain repro or vintage-style pickups new consoles tend to have a more "modern" sound, whatever that really means. Hard to define, but generally a little less raw, less grit or edge or vintage "character" in their tone. Doesn't mean they don't sound good, but with a little patience you can have the vintage console of your dreams for a bargain compared to other instruments of the era, and if you think about the cost amortized over a lifetime of enjoyment you'll find that a vintage console is really a "steel". Bad bad pun Razz

A lot of vintage instruments are in perfect working order still, in which case you can just play them as-is. Sometimes they need some minor electronics work. Usually the pickups are still going strong and sound wonderful if the guitar has been taken care of. There are also always restoration guitars in varying conditions.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 6:07 am    

Thanks for the feedback!

I guess the die is cast. Most likely, vintage it is.

I'm comfortable doing minor electronic repair (not rewinding pickups, though) so that should be fine.

Anyone have any opinions on the relative tonal differences between, say, Stringmaster tone, and those Rickenbacker consoles with the horseshoe pickups? As a bassist I always had a Ric obsession (my 4003 doesn't have a real horseshoe though), but I'm wondering if there are any big differences in sound between them and the classic Stringmaster tone. I also like the humcancelling possibility of the dual Stringmaster pickups...assuming they were always RWRP?

I'll be keeping an eye on the For Sale forum and reverb.com...

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 8:02 am    

Nic, if you prefer a brand-new instrument, RAM guitars in Chicago makes impressive modern incarnations of the Console Grande. You won't go wrong dealing with Ron. His instruments are first-rate.

http://www.ramguitars.com/RAM_Guitars/NeoGrande.html

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 12:23 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
Nic, if you prefer a brand-new instrument, RAM guitars in Chicago makes impressive modern incarnations of the Console Grande. You won't go wrong dealing with Ron. His instruments are first-rate.

http://www.ramguitars.com/RAM_Guitars/NeoGrande.html

Excellent lead, thank you.

I've also thought...if I need a more modern sound in the future, going with something like the cheap SX 8 string singlenecks, and routing a bit out to put an active EMG like the one Alan Akaka has in his signature model...poor man's Asher (wouldn't look as pretty or be as nice, but serviceable perhaps). But a doubleneck would be nice, I keep jumping between B11 and C6...

Jim Davies

Charlottesville VA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 12:57 pm    

Nic, I'm making double necks. I use Console Grand pickups. You can see and hear them on my website.
http://www.combotone.com/

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 12:45 am    

Quote:
... those Rickenbacker consoles with the horseshoe pickups? As a bassist I always had a Ric obsession

I have a mid/late 50's Rick DW-16, a twin 8 with horseshoes and I adore it. I played a Stringmaster recently and very much liked it too; different tone but not so far from the Rickenbacker.

Those horseshoes are powerful, even 60 years on. I have other steels, all from Europe and they all require lots of pre-amp gain. Not the Rick; my Fender Deluxe amp never went higher than 2 with that baby plugged in!

The only gripe, and this is quite minor, is that you cannot mute all the strings on the bridge for tonal effect (as you would on a normal guitar) because of the pickup's design.

The tuners on mine had already been replaced with Grovers and I think it must be a lot easier than replacing Fender tuners. If I found another one (which where I am is rare) I would buy it without hesitation.

\ paul

Jim Davies

Charlottesville VA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 3:12 pm    

The double neck in my avatar has a couple of small dings and scratches from me giging with it. You could have it at a reduced rate. I also have two Console Grand's
From the late 40s/early 50s I'm not using. One sunburst and one natural.[list=][/list]

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 6:52 pm    

How important is "fancy" to you?

A Melbert wouldn't have the flash of some of the vintage models, but you could have your choice of woods and pickups and the price would be competitive with the vintage steel's you're looking at. Also, since he uses George L pickups you'd have a certain amount of pickup swap-ability built in if your tinkering urges take control.

Bob doesn't have console's in his price listings, but there's pictures of a couple he's built on his web page and they look quite nice.
http://www.melbert.guitars/photos.html