The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sara Jory
Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 4:43 pm    

It is hard Roger, cause a lot of the time, people don't read it as intended. You can't hear their expression or the face. I know I have got in trouble doing thing that were never intended to be what it was taken.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 7:39 pm    

It is ok to get into the music. And that is what Sarah is doing. When the audience sees you getting into song, that works as a tool to get them into the song. I remember playing a gig one night, where we played the Keith Whitley's Don't Close Your Eyes. There wasn't a dry eye in the place. People told me I played with so much feel and put so much emotion in the fills of the song that they were totally moved to tears.

And if there is any man that says they have never played so hard that a tear was shed. They are not a TRUE STEEL PLAYER
Sarah honey, you just keep on doing what you doing.

Terry Barnett

Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 4:29 am    

Somebody put a stick in the beehive...you know, it’s sad, but I purposely avoid Sarah Jory vids because I can’t watch her stage antics, just me. Tommy Emmanuel, same thing. Not that they can’t play. They’re selling. I don’t want the hard sell thanks. I prefer to watch Emmons or Paul Franklin...they have that air of confidence. They seem to know, “you’re gonna love this and I don’t have to sell it, it’s that good”

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 4:46 am    

Jim Reynolds wrote:
Yes, your right Ken it is Sarah, but it is pronounced the same way. There are some of us, that are not the best typist to0. She is remarkable no matter how you spell her name.

It's no really big deal Jim, I was just making people aware of the spelling just for correctness sake. Sara over this side of the pond is mainly pronounced Sar-er.

Re the pros and cons of 'embellishing' a performance with pronounced facial expressions, I have to admit it is something that I wouldn't do personally. However, I have seen some rock guitar players like Gary Moore pull some really OTT gurning faces while he played, but it became one of his trade marks. Don't like it? Like Terry just said - don't watch it. Simple.

Sarah is very popular, so her so called 'histrionics' doesn't put off too many people. Most of the great players can sell a performance by just playing supremely well, but I would never knock what Sarah, Tommy Emmanuel or Joe Wright do even though I feel that maybe they don't need to quite raise the level of showmanship to the levels that they do. But - there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 7:28 am    

fwiw, I like watching and listening to her play very much!
Her set at the Irish Steel show stats at the 14min 15sec mark of this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUN4BODSczM

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 10:36 am    

That's a great video for this thread. When she is on the melody, which she has no doubt played a thousand times, she is very animated. When she takes a ride, her eyes are pretty much on the business at hand. Fun to watch and listen to regardless.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 10:56 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
That's a great video for this thread. When she is on the melody, which she has no doubt played a thousand times, she is very animated. When she takes a ride, her eyes are pretty much on the business at hand. Fun to watch and listen to regardless.

She is pretty tame in that one. I think many folks are referring to her video of "City Lights".... everyone has their own tastes in performance... Wink

Fish

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 7:25 pm    

I had the distinct pleasure of playing side-by-side with Sarah Jory today on a recording session at Sound Stage Studios on Music Row. Not only is she a delightful person, she played the fire out of my 1981 Zum, which she borrowed for the day. She was unfazed by my Emmons setup - she normally plays "Day" - and she made the most of the moment. As I played my Beard Dobro, Sarah and I enjoyed a most delightful musical conversation together. Big fun!

Check me off as another fan of Sarah Jory's.

Steve Fishell

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 1:05 am    

I've never met Sarah Jury ,however she plays great and if I ever get the chance to meet her I would give her a big Hug!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 5:47 am    

I think we should keep in mind that Sarah is a whole lot more than just a steel guitar player. She plays other instruments extremely well and sings too. I think she gets into the groove from playing shows on the 6 string spanish electric guitars and singing plus she is the front man on her own shows. Even though I play pedal steel (I began life on the road at 24 years old playing bass for Tony Douglas and the Shrimpers back in the 70's) I must admit my showmanship is rather boring when playing pedal steel. I wish I was more like Sarah. I think one reason the rockers and the pop artist do so well is they look like they are getting into it and not bored. After all they are there to put on a show and entertain the people. I find Sarah's expressions amusing and entertaining and she is undoubtably one of the greatest pedal steel players the world has ever seen so why not. I think her showmanship takes her from 90% to 100%. Here, this guy explains it pretty well. Do you guys not have a crowd of people jammed up in front of your steel guitar watching you play on stage? If you don't here is why.

https://youtu.be/OQua5ZNd9PQ

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 6:20 am    

Watch both songs that she plays in this video. She knows how to work a crowd. It's called entertaining. If anyone ever had a chance to bring pedal steel to the masses and make them sell like Dr. Peppers or Coca-Colas it was Sarah. I don't think she is finished yet and maybe she will. Someone needs to sink a few million dollars in promoting her and I know she can deliver the goods if given the chance. I might be wrong but I think as for as a live pedal steel player she has been more successful than anyone who has ever set foot on stage as a standalone steel player not standing in the shadows of some prima donna singer. Just saying. I love the way she blends the steel into pop music and brings some pop to the country material as well.

https://youtu.be/i8_Jq8-bPeE

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 6:25 am    

David Mitchell wrote:
I might be wrong but I think as for as a live pedal steel player she has been more successful than anyone who has ever set foot on stage as a standalone steel player not standing in the shadows of some prima donna singer.[url]

I'm a big fan of Sarah's playing and I don't mind her expressions which are likely partly genuine and partly for entertainment and, IMHO, there's nothing wrong with that. It beats watching a "headliner" who is staring at his/her hands nonstop all evening, without any expression (which is most of the rest of us). We've been able to get away with it because, for the most part, we have been side(wo)men, so not expected to be in the limelight anyway. But when it's your name on the marquee, and you are the one they paid their money to come see, it is a different matter, and the expectations of entertainment coming from YOU PERSONALLY, are very different.

As for the quoted statement above, I don't know what kinds of crowds she draws but I'm pretty sure that Robert Randolph tops the scale on being the most successful, stand-alone steel player, not standing in the shadows of a prima donna singer. (And, BTW, he gives a pretty animated performance too...)

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 6:42 am    

I agree Jim and Robert Randolph does top the list today and I appreciate what he does too but if I had $150.00 to spend on tickets for my wife and I to see a show I'd rather go see the Sarah Jory show. Nothing personal against Robert. I'm a big Led Zepplin and ZZ Top fan myself but I'm afraid to get in crowds where there's sex, drugs and rock n' roll. Laughing

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 6:51 am    

Robert Randolph is the Jimi Hendrix of steel guitar. Back in the 60's we use to play all those Hendrix and Cream songs but no one wants to look at a 63 year old like me playing it anymore unless your a member of the Rolling Stones. I can't see where Robert puts his pedals and knee levers to good use but he certainly does play a steel guitar in his own way and has been very successful so we can't argue with that.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 6:52 am    

David Mitchell wrote:
I can't see where Robert puts his pedals and knee levers to good use but he certainly does play a steel guitar in his own way and has been very successful so we can't argue with that.

Would you be happier if he played non-pedal steel?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 6:57 am    

Quote:
Robert Randolph tops the scale on being the most successful, stand-alone steel player, not standing in the shadows of a prima donna singer. (And, BTW, he gives a pretty animated performance too...)

That's what I've been thinking throughout this thread. Robert Randolph's performance is about as wild and crazy as it gets. But for some reason we don't question his sincerity. Maybe we have a harder time accepting "theatrics" from a woman rocker than a man rocker? Just a thought, and I'm one of the minority here who can't watch her play, but I do enjoy the audio portion!

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 7:05 am    

I think Doug has a very valid point there. Maybe it's because she's female that her persona bothers some. I personally have no gender problems. She has the brain of a musical genius. Not much different then hanging out with Buddy Emmons, Lloyd Green or any other musician. These picken' and drummin' women are like one of the guys. I've worked with a few.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 7:13 am    

I don't recall any complaints back in the day when Rusty Young with Poco would turn up the distortion and pick up a metal kitchen chair and use the bottom bar of the chair as a steel... drove the audience wild. Nobody said, "Hey, cut out the theatrics and just play the damn instrument, wouldja?"

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 7:18 am    

Laughing Laughing Laughing True!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 7:29 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
........As for the quoted statement above, I don't know what kinds of crowds she draws but I'm pretty sure that Robert Randolph tops the scale on being the most successful, stand-alone steel player, not standing in the shadows of a prima donna singer. (And, BTW, he gives a pretty animated performance too...)

Isn't that the truth. RR plays to massive audiences compared to the rest of us. But are rockers queuing up to buy pedal steels on the the strength of Robert's playing? Very few if any I would guess. By the way Jim - you need to get your Moggie Minor checked out as it looks as though the track rod ends have come adrift. Laughing

I am still teaching pupils the fine art of pedal steel playing 35+ years after teaching the young Miss Jory. There is much mystique attached to the pedal steel, and that, along with the price is mainly responsible for the instrument not being more popular than it is.

I accredit Sarah's musical successes with her late father Arthur and her mother Yvonne for recognising the talent in her when she was very young, and paying for her to have lessons and good equipment to play on. Sarah's ambition when she was a youngster was boundless. I merely showed her the mechanics of playing and stressed on her the importance of playing with feeling.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 7:33 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
I merely...stressed on her the importance of playing with feeling.

Ah, so it's all your doing then, Ken? Wink

My first steel teacher told me "Never take your eyes off your hands, never smile, show no emotion whatsoever... or you will die."

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 7:38 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Ken Byng wrote:
I merely...stressed on her the importance of playing with feeling.

Ah, so it's all your doing then, Ken? Wink

My first steel teacher told me "Never take your eyes off your hands, never smile, show no emotion whatsoever... or you will die."

Ha - well you have done your teacher proud Jim. Laughing

I play stoney faced so I definitely didn't teach Sarah the art of flamboyance that she picked up from her early 20's.

I was talking to Paul Franklin a few years ago at the Station Inn and mentioned that I taught Sarah. He joked and said "So you're to blame for that then!" Very Happy Very Happy

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 7:43 am    

Quote:
I don't recall any complaints back in the day when Rusty Young with Poco would turn up the distortion and pick up a metal kitchen chair and use the bottom bar of the chair as a steel...

I remember seeing Rusty tip his steel over sideways and set it on the endplate, and wildly slide his bar up and down the strings... literally "up and down"!

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 9:34 am    

I'm not sure if that is "it" for me, Doug. Man or woman, I like to see the expressive performance of both. For example, I think Yngwie Malmsteen is a cool performer, people hate him and his antics; I personally thought Jimi Hendrix looked absolutely ridiculous onstage a lot of the time, especially when performing "sex" with his amp and setting his Strat on fire. Pure stupidity, in my eyes.

Of course, the latter performer was doped on a mixture of chemicals, so I'm sure he wasn't really in control of much of his antics. I guess it boils down to "to each his own."

We all have our own definition of what is considered "getting into the music," and what is "over-embellishment." For me, Sarah fits into the embellishment performance. Then again, I remember seeing Barbara Mandrell play Steel Guitar Rag, bouncing around a bit...and it was "ok," but a little out there.

Then, we have the late Karen Carpenter, fantastic drummer, who in her day would run all over the stage singing and banging on the drums, it was an awesome sight that I enjoyed. I guess there's no easy explanation, lol.

I would sum up I guess by saying, I would rather see a little bit of movement instead of a complete dead-pan on stage, lol.

Last edited by Tim Russell on 19 Oct 2017 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 9:43 am    

Here is the shy and retiring Glen Campbell (no not that one) playing steel with Juicy Lucy in 1970, so he pre-dates Sarah by quite a few years. This clip from Top Of The Pops in England mortified steel guitar aficionados at the time I remember. "How dare he treat his guitar in that way"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SaxnDzvBt4