The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bergenfield, NJ
Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 11:52 am    

I see you're from Bergenfield, NJ. I wondered if you ever heard of Jimmy McManus. Monster Player especially good on the C6th neck but he'd give anyone a run for the money on the E9th. It's weird he wants nothing to do with the forum but man he can play. Also George Constantino, he bought his ShoBud from Al DiMeola a renowned jazz guitar player we all went to High School together. Jim lives in Florida now and I'm sure his legacy has diminished over the years but believe me he can play as good as the best of the best. I just wonder if his name still exists there. I lived there too for a time but my steel guitar playing is at best meager. See? There's four steel players right there from Bergenfield, 5 if you count Al DiMeolo and 6 if you count Van Manakass.........probably more now though.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 1:16 pm    

I grew up in Harrington Park and Closter. I had a bluegrass band with Van and Erik Levine in the early '70s. They introduced me to Jim and his brother Brian, and also George Constantino ! JS

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 5:38 pm     Eric Levine

I think I new Eric Levine (fiddle player?), I believe he was Barry Lavine's brother. I think Barry went on to become a single entertainer who impersonates different artist and I guess he did well with that. I may have the first name (Barry) wrong. Did you know Wayne Lopes or Kevin Gallagher as well? There were a lot of guys from that area who were really into country and bluegrass. Brian passed away back in the 80's but Jim lives in Port St. Lucie Fl. I guess he and Rick Dobler are still playing together if you him. You probably know that Van plays at the Steel Guitar show in Connecticut every November. Anyway its good run into folks from the old area.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 1:27 pm    

I remember George; Kinda looked like Groucho Marx.

I believe Jim used to play with a band back in the early 80s that I was eventually steel player with in the mid 90s ; The Tommie Joe White Band. They were the absolute best band on the NY/NJ circuit. If it's the same Jim, I believe he was a left-handed player.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 8:51 pm    

Eric Levine, Was a monster musician and one of the best fiddlers I ever heard. He could play any style. I often wonder what ever happened to him. He liked steel guitar. Smile

Tom Keller

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 9:39 pm     Eric Levine and Jim McManus

Yes, Jimmy played a left Shobud but during the 80's or sometime there around he started playing a Mars D10, still has it. His intonation was the best and he was one hell of a speed picker too. He lives in Fl. plays in a few bands or at least was last I talked to him, like 3 years ago or so. He loved, Wally Murphy and his brother Big Jim.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 6:35 am    

Eric Levine moved to Ft Collins, Co in the late 70's. He got me interested in steel, always playing Emmons and Chalked tapes for me!