The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shout out to Ricky Davis and Michael Yahl
Jeff Heard

Lopez Island, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 6:29 am    

A few years ago, I sent a Sho~Bud Pro 1 to James Morehead for restoration. He was, unfortunatrly, not able to finish it. Well, Ricky and Michael have taken on the task of getting the guitars James had in his repair queue back to their owners. Ricky has put my guitar back into its original barrel/2-hole puller configuration. I just received it yesterday, and it is absolutely amazing. It plays like a dream and sounds even better!
Ricky, I'm still looking for those licks you said you'd leave in there for me! Very Happy

Ricky kept me informed every step of the way, and he is always willing to talk Sho~Bud for a while. You can't go wrong having Ricky work on your Sho~Bud. Thanks again, Ricky and Michael.

Jeff Heard

Lopez Island, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 6:36 am    

Thanks to Michael, not only for his role in getting my guitar back, but also for some very well-made parts!

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 6:55 am    

This truly made my day, Jeff! You’ve got a lovely guitar there, and a real blessing to boot!

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 7:14 am    

What a Princess! Good for you. Ricky and Michael are top shelf.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 6:07 pm    

Thanks Geoff(Jeff) for the kind supportive words. Me and Michael are thrilled to somehow take on this project of "back to life".
James was my student and partner for many many years. He had the passion of a 1000 men. It was heartbreaking to see him get cancer and then pass away after a battle against it. The next heartbreak was knowing how many projects he probably had and they all pretty much passed away with him. Then me and Michael got in touch with a still heartbroken Teresa, as her life had taken on a horrible path. We decided to take everything that they had in many different places and Michael drove up there from Texas and Teresa helped him find; and brought it all back. We have everything. I took home what I knew I could finish for James in a original way....which is what I did with yours Geoff and Yes it came out awesome and a Sho~bud in it's original form; is UN-Surpassable.
Yours is the very first one that was basically brought back to life....and we are hoping there are many more...but certainly many are in almost un-recognizable form but we will get through it and in the quest of finding everyone.
Enjoy it my brother; you have one of the best sounding and playing Single-10 pedal steel guitars EVER made.
Ricky

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 6:57 pm    

What a WONDERFUL ending to an otherwise very sad story. Blessing's to Micheal and Ricky for this undertaking.
And I am Happy for Teresa that she has began to get her life back on track. May God Bless all Involved. J.R.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 9:34 pm    

Jeff, I am thrilled you have your guitar back.

Michael and Ricky, you guys will be my heroes forever. "Well done," doesn't even come close.

I talked to James (and Tree) a lot during that last year. My 6139 will never wear Morehead parts, but he became a friend. Maybe now peace will come.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 6:45 am    

Hat's off to Ricky & Michael... you guys are the best.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 7:06 am    

What Skip said. For Ricky and Michael to pitch in and help out Tree... that's really paying it forward.

Beautiful guitar, Jeff.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 7:42 am    

Let me add my two cents worth... A few months ago I sent Ricky my Dad’s 81 LDG... It was getting pretty stiff and NOT playing like an LDG should... Ricky sent it back directly to my Dad and Dad wouldn’t even take it out of the box till I got over to his place a couple of weeks later... Before Ricky worked his magic on it with a few new Micheal Ya’ll Smile parts, I didn’t even really like playing it, as it was not much fun to play... Well now it’s hard to peel me off it... It plays buttery smooth and sounds better than I remember it EVER sounding... Ricky even made it all sparkly looking... Atta Boy Ricky... Thanks
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 6:53 pm    

WEll Dale, you and your Dad are more than Welcome. I loved making that LDG be what your Dad needs it to be for his time playing it. It's now an amazing Sho~bud as it should be and I will do anything for it to continue to stay in the Rottacker Family for a long long time.
Ricky
P.S> thanks all ya'll above for the very kind and supportive words.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 9:35 pm    

Skip Edwards wrote:
Hat's off to Ricky & Michael... you guys are the best.

A+