The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reverb tank mounting
Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 4:29 am    

Hi,

I just acquired a new (to me) Peavey Session 400. When moving it around, I noticed some metal-on-metal banging/clanging. When played at high volumes, there's some rattling.

I noticed that the reverb tank (Accutronics model 4EB3C1B)is mounted with 4 screws that seem way too long for the screw holes. There is only a thin rubber gasket/washer above and below the tank on each screw.

So, am I correct that this is not quite right? I know you want the tank decoupled somewhat from the amp, but this is completely loose. I can lift the reverb tank up a quarter inch easily, and it shifts around easily.

I am thinking of just getting some thicker rubber washers to raise the unit up a bit - maybe 2 below and one above the unit (or whatever it takes) to snug things up and fill in the gaps so that the pieces aren't banging around any more.

Is that appropriate? Or is there a better/more standard way?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 8:45 am    

If my memory serves me correctly, every amp I have owned, definitely the Peaveys, had the reverb spring in a long thick cloth (like Tolex thickness) and secured only with a screw poked through the bag at each end. Don't remember ever seeing one mounted like that, although I imagine there are.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 9:42 am    

Richard is correct about the bag and end screws.
The only thing that could be clanking around might be some Dunlop picks that Richard put in there! Whoa!

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 8:40 pm    

You can make a bag out of tolex or other leatherette and use some fiber fill to line the insides. This isolates the tank from vibrations.

Make a double wall bag so the tank doesn't snag the fiberfill with the fiberfill inside the wall.

You can screw the bag to the bottom of the amp by using screws and finish washers the way Fender did it.

Or use your present mounting hardware just pressed through the bag at the mounting spots.

If you want you can buy tank bags from places like Tubesandmore, Mojotone and Amplified Part, Ted Weber, etc.

But the more noise insulation you can get on that tank will help make the tank work better.

Jim Goins

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 10:13 am     Reverb Tank

I have two Peavey sessions 400's, 70's they both have the reverb unit mounted in the bottom of the cabinet they are mounted on rubber bushings, they need to float, about 1/8" to 3/16", if you are getting a clanking noise you might have a loose spring, remove the tank and look underneath you will see two or three long spring, suspended at each end make sure they are in place.do not tighten the unit down let ii float a little bit, when you move the amp while it is on it is normal to hear the reverb echoing. I hope this might solve your problem. Good luck Jim Goins.