The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carvin Audio closing
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 2:19 pm    

I just received an email from Carvin that said they are closing the doors on the electronics manufacturing operation.

It is a sad day. Carvin has provided good quality value priced electronics for a long time.

There was no mention of the instrument manufacturing operation. I hope it will survive.

The world is changing.

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 6:29 pm    

Sadly true. Hard to believe a family owned company with 70 years of history would just shut the doors...I feel bad for their employees.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 3:06 pm    

Wow. INHO they had some of the best sound systems out there. I ran an entire Carvin system when I had my gospel quartet. We did everything from store front churches to large outdoor venues.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 12:44 am    

Amps:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/amplifiers/1017/carvin-audio-closes-factory-will-liquidate-assets/64068

Guitars:

http://www.guitarworld.com/carvins-new-company-kiesel-guitars-handle-guitar-and-bass-manufacturing

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 2:06 am    

Also remember that the Kiesel name on the guitars is the family name of the founder, carried on by a relative. Too bad about the Amps.

thx

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 18 Oct 2017 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 12:11 pm    

Distressing to hear. Especially employees blindsided. Wonder if a key figure passed, or if the finances were leveraged too far. Maybe Quilter would find they could go thru n pick out what they could acquire? The Banks usually win in your ...ahem..in the end. Steve Vai! Where are you? Relaxing by the pool? Cool

Our church Sanctuary has a year-old PA, all Carvin. Powered towers, in-ear or monitor, tablet controlled, or IPhone. Single tower can be used out doors w/ acoustics..very flexible, and capable.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 12:33 pm    

Might want to check out their website for some close-out deals if you're into Carvin gear.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 2:07 pm    

I have owned and played Carvin 6 strings, for the past 30 years or so. Wasn't much into their amps, but love their guitars. Best bang for the buck. My dad also played a couple early Carvin pedal steels when i was a kid. Always loved gitting their catalong in the mail, and dreaming.......

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 3:11 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Might want to check out their website for some close-out deals if you're into Carvin gear.

Yes, 25% off list, but no returns allowed. I'm surprised that is all they are offering, as everyone now knows there will be no parts, service or support offered any longer. Kind of risky, IMHO.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 9:20 pm    

There are SO many different amps available nowadays - most at local music/guitar stores - that IMO Carvin's mail order business model is very dated - I'm surprised the electronics end has lasted this long. We were talking about Carvin the other day at a local amp tech shop, and they hadn't seen any Carvin amps for tube replacement, normal service or anything at all in over a year.

They seem to have a better rep in the steel community than the 6-string world - where 99% of the amp market lives. Their amps are considered to be pretty dated

Carvin brand guitars are gone - that division was split off a couple years ago under the Keisel Guitars Custom Shop name (one of the Carvin founders) and has confused just about everybody. They've apparently downsized it, cut back what they offer and focus mainly on the prog rock/hard rock markets.

With the audio division closing Carvin will be gone.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 2:17 am    

I got the closing e-mail yesterday from Carvin.
25% off is nothing. 50% would be a better deal. If they come up to 50% I may get another BX500 or BX700.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 3:50 am     25 % alert

It was just a heads up for Carvin users. Feel free to ignore it. Don't matter to me. I've never bought anything from Carvin in my life.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 11:02 am    

Something strange going on with Carvin. I got the e-mail yesterday about closing. I looked on the site and products were still available. I looked at them again today and they are all (or mostly) "out of stock". Sounds like they want to sell them some other way.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 10:01 pm    

This is sad. They really did many innovative things. I used to visit them in Escondido a lot to check out their products off of highway 15 in San Diego. Used to have Carvin amps, a PA and mixer.

They're changing the name to Kiesel in memory of Carvin's founder Lowell Kiesel.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=174335&sid=600775a06d99556a62eae6e78a03806b

Mark Fowler

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 4:01 am    

I used to live near the Escondido, Calif. Carvin factory in 1975 to 1977 so I did shop there and used Carvin amps and guitars. High quality stuff. Sad to see such a long history company go. I hope Kiesel guitars keeps going.

Went to website and ordered coffee cups and T-shirt.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 10:24 pm    

According to Jeff Kiesel of Kiesel Guitars, they split off from his uncle's Carvin Audio company in 2015. An internal family conflict as to ownership and direction prompted the split.

Carvin is a combination of Lowell's two son's names 'Carson' and 'Gavin.'

Carson, the principal in Carvin Audio, is going on 72 now and although Jeff is not clear on the direction Carvin Audio will take, since each Kiesel son decided on different directions, electronics-amps, and then guitars, Jeff and his dad split off from the mother-named company Carvin to make Kiesel guitars in 2015.

Kiesel was a guitar based company name back in the 40's and 50's when Lowell had to dissolve the company to get out of dealer contracts he made with dealers who were not moving enough product.

This is where the CARVIN company name came into play.

With the decision to close the company, Carvin Audio,
there is still a family rift, according to Jeff, and where Carvin Audio will go is unsure, if Carson doesn't just up and retire.

According to Jeff, Carvin Audio's closing is not of their (Kiesel's) doing, since according to Jeff they were "divorced" (Jeff's words) from Carvin Audio since 2015. And Jeff feels that rather than the company go to China, it would be "better they closed."(Sic)

This said there is a liquidation sale going on at Carvin Audio. Tube amps etc.

Carvin did have signature artists using their amps.

Steve Vai got that death metal tone and the amps were featured in the movie Crossroads with Ralph Macchio.
Vai plays the devil's advocate in this cinematic duel.

Jeff is adamant that they will still keep all Kiesel guitars made entirely in Conus.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 11:33 am    

I started playing steel guitar on a Carvin lap steel pictured at the right in the photo below Couldn't afford to buy the legs so dad drilled the holes and we added them later. Used to spend hours looking at their catalogs.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 8:58 am    

Quote:
If they come up to 50% I may get another BX500 or BX700

Even when items (BX500 and accessories) weren't shown as "out of stock", they were. My order was accepted, then canceled the next day.

That was 25% off; I wouldn't hold my breath for 50%.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 11:13 am    

My best bud, Neil Zaza, is a Carvin endorsee!
http://www.neilzaza.com/carvin-guitar/
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps