The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  8 string steel string spacing and pickups
Bob Gleason

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 9:55 pm    

So far I've built only 6 string steels. Looking to try an 8 string. Is the string spacing still 3/8" (11mm)? Also looking for a decent height adjustable pickup. Does not have to be cheap, but not a bank breaker either. Thanks, Bob

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 11:48 pm    

Bob.
I have built an 8 string using a Bass Guitar Hotrail Humbucker pickup and I'm also making another using a custom build 8 string Charlie Christian style pickup from Jag Guitars in the UK. Both guitars have 3/8" string parallel spacing to the nut. The bar magnets used in the pickups mean that you don't have to align the strings over individual pole pieces. I'm sure there are also pickup makers in USA who offer similar options, but please checkout Jag Guitars Baytone pickups on their site.
Keith.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 1:37 am    

I am also contemplating a double 8 string build and as Keith has said the hot rail bass guitar pickup works. The ones I have which are humbucker for bass have ceramic magnets so brighter than normal. Also can split the pickup for additional sounds. They are cheap and cheerful For looks I would suggest the Jag Charlie Christian 8 string, and they are alnico magnets.

We are talking UK here so Jag may not be available in the States and you may have more choice over there.

Bob Gleason

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 9:13 pm    

Mick-Thanks for the info.-Bob

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 5:49 am     My Clinesmith seems perfect

My Clinesmith seems perfect with 3/8" (11mm) at the bridge and 5/16" (8mm) at the nut.
Maybe 3/8" at both ends would be even better? I never tried a steel like that, but so far the is the best I ever played.
Wish my pedal steels had this kind of spacing because I find I make less errors on this spacing with my fat and unsteady old fingers.
Hope thats a help?
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.