The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Did you quit the road work ?
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 10:28 am    

Roger
In your current production of "HW:LH," are you an active part of the moving around the stage, or relegated to just being "Shag" and living life upstage.

When I first did the show, we didn't have a lead guitarist so I was "Burrhead" who happened to play steel, but I had all the lines, the showdown scene w/Hank, etc.

In the most recent version I did, I was basically part of the woodwork upstage, though I did get some spontaneous audience applause for some solos. And I did come to the front of the proscenium for bows and encores. It was more fun when I was one of the actual "actors."

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 10:34 am    

Herb,

We're only just into blocking and already some minor script changes are taking place. So far, though, I'm just a part of the furniture and I think we have a full complement of musicians/actors.

No lines for me - yet - and I'm manfully trying to come to terms with playing my Dobro standing up! I'll be playing steel and guitar as well.

It's a lot more tiring than simply trooping into the orchestra-pit in my 'blacks' and opening the guitar book! Fun, though, and I'm gaining a better appreciation for the music involved.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 6:11 am    

I've been touring for the past 25 years or so. It had many different forms.....bus tours, van tours, drive gigs out of town, etc. The majority was like Herb described...go out on a van every week, 3-4 gigs and come home, using a meet up place for van call. But in the peak season, make two week to one month runs then back home.

The last four years I was with Jason Eady. We toured in a van going all directions of the country. I didn't realize until it was too late. Sleeping in a van bench seat beat me up. It slowly destroyed my shoulders. Both rotator cuff are torn. The tear on my left can'y be fixed. It has affected my playing abilities. I can barely play a regular guitar. Fortunately, I can still play my steel, although it has affected it.

Eady decided not to carry steel anymore, so I'm sure that marked the end of my touring.
The good news is...all of these years of NOT playing in my town, Fort Worth, I had lost track of the local scene here. Right now I'm playing with 4 or 5 really good artists and bands from here. I've extremely busy, and I'm really stoked about the young country scene here in town.

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 11:45 am     I quit the road due to sickness.

I got sick of it. Was burned out on playing. Tracy

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 12:38 am     Re: Did you quit the road work ?

Richard....same as you here. I'm 71 in December, and started being a "road" musician when I was 16. Later I was delt serious health problems, but on recovering, went back to road work...one night stands and tours both here in U.K. and main land Europe. Even did a 6 month tour in the States. Now in U.K. there are toooooo many cars and traffic jams daily.
I'm glad I've Retired so to say. Let the younger guys have their fun, and you know there is fun on the road Very Happy ..It's been a year now since I've gigged, and I just can't be bothered to do the road work anymore Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.