The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender '65 Twin Custom 15 Combo what about it ??
Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2017 1:00 pm    

I just don't like the capacitors and the power sections and overall component choices in new Fender amps. I would rather find an old non PCB Fender and have it built the way I want.

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 7:13 pm    

I bought one brand new and noticed that certain notes would render what could only be described as a tube rattle. Several folks looked at it, but nothing fixed it, so I returned it and got another....well, same problem, but only at different notes. So, I took it to one of the best amp techs in the Midwest, a Fender expert....and he did everything possible to that cabinet and the tubes (as far as how they were seated)...but no dice. Still the tube rattle/overtones. I guess nobody in the audience of a show would notice, but it wouldn't work for recording...so back it went.

About a year or so later, Fender came out with the Steel King. I immediately bought one from Forumite Dyke Corson and have used it with zero...ZERO...issues since I bought it. The Eminence JBL clone nails the D130 sound, and the amp delivers an authentic West Coast/Bakersfield tone that was exactly what I was looking for, as I am a country-rock aficonado (Nez, Byrds, Burritos, Poco, Buck, etc.). The cabinet is solid with no rattles, the reverb is classic Fender...it's just a perfect amplifier.

Just my two cents!