The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EMCI Pedal Steel Dissection Video
David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 9:35 am    

Short video I made showing the differences of the EMCI pedal steel from other pedal steels. The GFI and early MCI RangeExpander being the closest.
https://www.facebook.com/david.mitchell.752/videos/1286065714764189/[/url]

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 9:56 am    

Sounds interesting. Any chance you could post it elsewhere, for those of us who don't do Facebook?

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 11:02 am    

Sorry Lee. Didn't think about that. I made it a few months ago and I'm not sure I even have that file anymore. I got a video capture program that I can use to grab it and upload to YouTube. I think most everybody can get YouTube.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 1:50 pm    

For those that would rather watch it on YouTube here is the link. Sorry but everytime I move the video to another site the quality keeps degrading. Seems like these websites are gonna compress it more regardless of the file size.

https://youtu.be/2X001-owdZY

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 2:04 pm    

In your video you said you are rebuilding EMCIs with new old stock. Where did you get them?

When Gretsch bought EMCI, I thought they locked up all of the parts in a warehouse and wouldn't sell them, so nobody had access to them.

I might have it all wrong, so I would like to hear the real story.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 2:32 pm    

Jim I bought the parts from a guy named Billy that goes to North or South Carolina once a month and buys them from Fred Gretsch. He has tons of NOS Sho-Bud parts also. He said he could make me a better deal on the Sho-Bud changer fingers by buying by the hundreds so they must have plenty left over.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 2:45 pm    

This is the seller I get the EMCI parts from. He's a 6 string spanish electric guitar man and knows nothing about pedal steels but he is willing to look for what you need.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/himonwry?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 4:50 pm    

David Mitchell wrote:
This is the seller I get the EMCI parts from. He's a 6 string spanish electric guitar man and knows nothing about pedal steels but he is willing to look for what you need.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/himonwry?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I was wondering about this guy because he's selling a Bigsby spanish guitar reissue, left-handed. His is a BY-50, like my friend Pete Mitchell had. I have a BY-48. These are way-cool electric guitars, IMHO.

So the guy doesn't take old guitars and strip them, he has access to NOS Gretsch material. This is a good source. I will follow him.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 6:04 pm    

Quote:
So the guy doesn't take old guitars and strip them, he has access to NOS Gretsch material. This is a good source. I will follow him.

I believe that is correct Herb. He may be the only access to that stuff outside of retail stores. That Bigsby is cool for sure. Grady Martin was playing one of those Bigsbys on the Red Foley Show. Some of those re-issues are China made but still quality stuff. Amazing what CNC machines can do.[/quote]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 8:00 am    

David Mitchell wrote:
Jim I bought the parts from a guy named Billy that goes to North or South Carolina once a month and buys them from Fred Gretsch. He has tons of NOS Sho-Bud parts also. He said he could make me a better deal on the Sho-Bud changer fingers by buying by the hundreds so they must have plenty left over.

Thanks for the info and it's great to hear that all of those parts aren't lost forever!

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 8:46 am    

You are welcome Jim and Herb! Send that guy an email and tell him what you need.