The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Impromptu subbing as a noob - advice please!
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 11:09 am    

so uh....... howed it go? Question Question Question Question Very Happy

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 11:52 am    

I know I am too late for this advice, but here goes.
Get some colored tape that is very visible. Like yellow
Cut 3 pieces about 2 inches long. You know the open strings and the 12th fret are "E".
Whatever key they are going to play the song in, place a piece of tape behind the I---V---andVIIth fret, of that key. This way you can find the I--IV--V chords real fast. There you at least have the major chords, to play on. Even if they come up with a odd ball chord for the song you can find it fast. Just so they don't play in Qflat, you'll be fine. Then you can doodle around from there. Good luck on your next gig.

Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 10:39 am     Nine years hence

Talk about reviving a dead one!

I had such a miserable time at that gig that I gave up steel for good. I have not touched one since then. Now, here I am nine years later ready to try it again!

Sorry to have left so abruptly but that was me last decade. Older and wiser perhaps...

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 2:50 pm    

Thanks for the follow up Landon! And, welcome back! You can pick right up where you left off ... "LKL" still means;"Left Knee Left!." Smile

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 4:12 pm    

Try to keep in mind that, unless Lloyd Green happens to find his way into your audience, you likely know more about steel guitar than anybody else in the room

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2017 1:15 pm    

I just read this whole thread for the first time. Great stuff! Especially your follow up. I mean, what a story arc. Very Happy

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2017 2:38 pm    

I tried to post this at 4 this morning but don't know where it went. I have a very similar situation coming up on 10/29. I've been playing since May and here I go. I have a set list however and, have been practicing the snot out of everything and am still quite sure I will be bad - I was very good at 6-string so, I know what bad is. I plan to play less than the guy probably wants, unless I start feeling a groove during the night. I have one C6 type (I don't have my PSG yet, so this will be played on my 8-string console) solo worked out for Invitation To The Blues and, am sure it will be horrible haha. a buddy of mine said he had heard it took 2 yrs to even suck at this instrument, and, I believe it! But, I also know that there is no better teacher than a stage. Good luck picking it back up.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2017 7:58 pm    

If you are not sure? don't do it. I If the lead player wants you to take a ride and you are not familiar? Don't do it.
I have done this and I still do it to this day. I agree with one of the other posts. It sounds like the guys are not serious musicians, I am currently in a band like that. We have a lead that does not follow the song, what I is he does not sing it right, He will either forget words and fumble around on the lyrics or, he will drag the tempo of the song. I keep harping on the need to practice but he does not want to listen. I would like for our band to be one to proud of.

I hope the best for you Landon,
Tommy Shown
SMFTBL
Steel Man From The Bayou Land.