The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old Supro value
Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2017 11:30 am    

I picked this up on ebay a while ago for about $100 and I'm wondering if it's worth fixing.
The pickup output is low and uneven across the strings and the curved bridge is cracked.
If it has no real value I'll just throw a p90 on it and leave it at that.

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2017 12:58 pm    

Got to be worth the $100, get the strings through pickup looked at, replacement magnets ??? Jason Lollar has them.

Find a local engineering firm to machine up another bridge.

If not I will give you $101 ....

Lee

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2017 2:53 pm    

There are individually adjustable poles for each string. They're below the strings, so you need to stick a straight-blade screwdriver between the holes in the top plate.

These typically sell in the $2-300 area.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2017 4:18 pm    

Noah Miller wrote:
There are individually adjustable poles for each string. They're below the strings, so you need to stick a straight-blade screwdriver between the holes in the top plate.

These typically sell in the $2-300 area.

Plus 1 on the pole adjustment.
I just bought a 1947 Supro with brown MOTS. Ugly ugly little guitar. But I love it.
None of the strings were equal in volume and 3 were almost dead.
Took about 20 minutes with a small blade screwdriver (and some tired ears)
and it sounds very good now and all strings are equal.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2017 9:36 pm    

I just went thru a similar thing. However, the adjustable pole pieces on my PU were rusted/frozen in to the point where I couldn't budge them. I had to epoxy a small steel washer on top of the pole to strengthen the signal strength. It worked by golly. I also had a dead PU. Jerry Sentell (Sacramento, CA) can rewind/repair these pickups. He fixed mine.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 3:31 am     Re: Old Supro value

Joe Ribaudo wrote:
I picked this up on ebay a while ago for about $100 and I'm wondering if it's worth fixing.
The pickup output is low and uneven across the strings and the curved bridge is cracked.

I had one repaired by Lollar, and it now sounds great. Those side magnets are the problem many times.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 9:24 am    

If the overall output is weak try flipping over one of the magnets. The two magnets need to be in the correct "orientation" for the maximum output and tone. When the top plate is removed the magnets fall out. It's possible that someone removed the plate and when they put it back together they put the magnets in wrong. That would substantially reduce the output and tone of the guitar.

To check it, remove the top plate, flip over one of the magnets and put the plate back on (no need to put the four screws back in, for now). Play the guitar through an amp. Then carefully lift the plate and flip that same magnet over, put the plate back on (no need to put the screws in) and play the guitar again through the amp. Do this a couple of times and you will notice that the guitar sounds stronger and fuller when the magnets are in one orientation and weaker in the other. When it's right, put the four screws back in the top plate.

Regarding the pole screws, they are very sensitive. I've noticed that a half a turn too high can cause distortion and a half a turn too low will make that string sound weaker that the others. You need to find the sweet spot in each pole.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 8:01 pm     Thinking of buying one?

Because the pole height is so important with these pickups, I’d recommend to any potential buyers to check that each pole turns freely before buying a guitar.