The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Worth waiting for a Stage One?
Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 7:09 am    

Hi,

I'm a lap steel guy considering my first foray into PSG (Shocked), and need to do so on a budget, ideally <$1500 or so (mind you, $1100-$1200 would be a much easier sell to the wife).

I've been trying to read up a bit on these things, and I've seen nothing but rave reviews on the Stage One guitars. But, as you all probably know, they aren't currently taking orders for new ones and they don't seem to really ever come up for sale used too often.

The alternative I'm considering is a GFI student model, which also seem to have a pretty good reputation.

I could order a new one today, and I seem to see them for sale in the used market more frequently.

So...I guess my question is in the thread title. Should I be patient and wait for a used Stage One, or, as a noobie, would I not even be able to tell the difference, and I should just get what I can get now (a GFI)?

Or is there some third option I should consider?

Jason King

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 7:42 am    

If you go with the GFI make sure you are looking at the model that is 3x4. Some of their students are 3x2.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 8:06 am    

Buy a steel and get started. You can resell whatever you buy if you want something better later on. There is a strong market for functional steels in your price range.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 8:16 am    

Jason King wrote:
If you go with the GFI make sure you are looking at the model that is 3x4. Some of their students are 3x2.

Yessir. 3x4 is what I'm after.

Thanks!

Bob Moore

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 12:59 pm    

I had one and it is a good one for starting out on. Sill Music has a deal that you should check out. They are part of the forum family. Bob M

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 4:09 pm    

The Zum Encore is even better than the Stage One and I'm pretty sure Doug is still producing them. I may be out of touch but I believe they're about $1500. That's what mine cost (I have # 008) and I'd just as soon play my Encore as either of the other 'pro' guitars I have (Emmons, JCH).

They come with three pedals and five 'knees' as standard and that lot will tie you up for years to come!

They're great steels!

Jason King

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 6:37 pm    

X2 on what Roger said. If your willing to spend that much give Fred Justice a call if the wait is to long. Fred builds a great sounding, great looking guitar.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 9:32 pm    

The least expensive Justice is an excellent sounding guitar with everything you need.
Also, used MSA's are a real value with great workmanship and tone. A good angle if you have a PSG repairmen within driving distance.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 4:56 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
The Zum Encore is even better than the Stage One and I'm pretty sure Doug is still producing them. I may be out of touch but I believe they're about $1500...

Cool. Thanks! You have one you want to sell me? Laughing

But seriously, I can't seem to find any for sale nor any indication that they are being made currently...

Regardless, I appreciate the info. At least if I have a few good options in mind, I can cast a wider net while waiting for something to come up for sale.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 5:04 am    

John Goux wrote:
...A good angle if you have a PSG repairmen within driving distance.

Yeah, I live in Michigan, and I suspect there's not such a person within a few hundred miles.

Because this will be my first PSG, I'd prefer something new or like new. I'm fairly handy, but would prefer to plug and play, not worry about tweaking/repairing things for weeks first.

I'm sure once I have one in front of me and can take a peak under the hood, I'll start to understand the care and feeding of a PSG a bit better, but I'd want to start off easy...

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 5:35 am    

Andy, I live in Manchester, between Ann Arbor and Jackson, I have played a long time and have a lot of experience working on pedal steels. If you are nearby and need some advice, maybe I can help out. I have owned a Stage One and also an Encore, both are very good, but you might have an easier time finding an older used guitar.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 5:46 am    

Some thoughts....perhaps you could post an ad over on the Wanted to Buy board for either a Stage One or an Encore.

People might read that where they might not be looking at this page. Also sometimes players just don't post items for sale although they might be thinking about and/or willing to do so.

Another thing, ZumSteel produced a student model guitar as many as 20+ yrs. ago. Beware of someone trying to pass one off as a Stage One. Nothing wrong with them, but just so you know, they are not the same guitar.

If a Stage One entry level or an Encore economy grade professional guitar is what you really want, I'd place an ad and see what turns up.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 5:56 am    

I'm sure I saw a recent post where someone took delivery of a new Encore. I'd be amazed if they're suddenly not being produced.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 6:15 am    

I sent an email to Doug asking him to clarify. Maybe he'll chime in.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 6:47 am    

Andy Henriksen wrote:
Roger Rettig wrote:
The Zum Encore is even better than the Stage One and I'm pretty sure Doug is still producing them. I may be out of touch but I believe they're about $1500...

Cool. Thanks! You have one you want to sell me? Laughing

But seriously, I can't seem to find any for sale nor any indication that they are being made currently...

Regardless, I appreciate the info. At least if I have a few good options in mind, I can cast a wider net while waiting for something to come up for sale.

They are being made, but they have a pretty big backlog due to the demand of lightweight, professional single 10 steels out there. Used ones go fast when they are listed.
Don't rule out the Mullen Discovery too

Last edited by Chris Schlotzhauer on 4 Oct 2017 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 6:48 am    

Bill Moore wrote:
Andy, I live in Manchester, between Ann Arbor and Jackson, I have played a long time and have a lot of experience working on pedal steels. If you are nearby and need some advice, maybe I can help out. I have owned a Stage One and also an Encore, both are very good, but you might have an easier time finding an older used guitar.

Wow, great! I'm right up the road from you in Chelsea. Do you give lessons or have any interest in getting together for an informal jam session some time? (ie, you giving me lessons for free! Laughing )

Either way, it's nice to know there's some local knowledge.

I currently have a few possibilities in the works, based on a few PMs sent my way, so there are a few options, it seems...

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 7:39 am    

Andy,Bill Moore is very knowledgeable and a good guy,I bought a use GFI Ultra from him last year and it is wonderful!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 7:52 am    

Andy I sent you a private message through this forum.

I am certainly building guitars, a large number of them. I'm just not taking any orders for Stage Ones or Encores until about January in an effort to try to get caught up. Keep an eye on my website the first of the year.

I do have volume pedals ready to go.
"Teach Your Children Well"

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 9:02 am    

As a very satisfied Encore owner I'd say that a Stage One or Encore is definitely worth waiting for. The whole reason that they're not taking new orders now is because they're so in demand and that's because it's such a good instrument at a great price.

Folks have recommended Justice or Mullen and if you can find one in your price range it will be a great instrument, but it might be tough to find one.

As some have said, placing an ad is certainly worth trying.

Best of luck!

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 12:19 pm    

Hi Stu, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you are enjoying the GFI! Very Happy
Andy, I'll send you an email with my phone number, if you want to talk in the future. Regards,

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2017 6:18 am    

A stage one just popped up:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=322141