The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Overtuning on Second String
Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 6:07 pm    

I have overtuned the tuning nut on my second string. My RKR lowers second string to C#/with the D feel stop, and it also lowers string 9 to C# fully engaged. I also have the second string raise D# to E, (unison lick) on my left vertical Knee.

(So those are the levers connected to the second string). Right now the lower is not going all the way down to C#, it stops at D. To correct the over tuning I understand, I need to loosen (counter clockwise, lefty loosey)the nylon hex 10 or 15 turns, and then start tuning the second string to D#, and then try and start tightening (clockwise, righty tighty)the tuning nut again until it starts flattening the second string, and continuing to the correct pitch. But before I start to commence these operations, are there any other nylon nuts to loosen,?? or just the one that is supposed to lower the D# to C#? I only have the one problem (not lowering) on the second string, there are no other issues, and the changer got cleaned two years ago, it's nice and clean and freshly lubed, so no issues there. Is that single hex that lowers the second string, the only one I need to adjust?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 6:14 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Back off the split screw at the right end of the neck. If that's not the problem, then you need to have more travel in the linkage...maybe loosen up the KL stop for that, but make sure the split screw is backed off enough first. The changer can't lower any further than that screw will allow.

From an earlier post with a similar issue. Be sure and back off the split screw for enough travel for the finger to reach C#. First thing to check on guitars that have splits and won't lower properly.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 6:24 pm    

I will check out the split screw, that was the solution to my e-lowers two years back; So there is no such thing as overtuning the lower? only the raises?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 6:50 pm    

Yeah, sure you can overtune any nylon tuner. The idea is to not have any of the changes affect the open note at idle.

Loosen up the nylon nut until it doesn't affect the open note. Tune the open D# note at the peghead.

Back off the split screw and use the nylon lower tuner to set your C# note. If it won't go to C# you either need to back off the screw further or you don't have enough travel in your linkage.

Your Derby should have a mechanical feel stop underneath the guitar that you can use to set the D note but only after you tune the C# final lower note with the split screw.

There are other things that can cause this problem like broken string balls in the changer, wrong gauge string for the notes desired, etc., but the split screw and/or lack of travel is the most common cause.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 3:36 am    

Thanks for going over the basics. It happened while I was tuning the lower, so I think I overtuned it. And yes I have the half stop feel at the D. (By the way I took my first trip to Louisville last Labor Day. Loved it, saw the race track and I got introduced to Mint Julep, you have a nice town in Louisville)