The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Goodrich Matchbox Repair
Tom Vollmer

Hamburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 8:59 am    

I am helping a fellow steeler who is 85 and quitting playing to sell his equipment . i have sold his guitar and two amps but have a 6A and a 7A matchboxes that look like new but do not work. Two questions can they be fixed and are they worth fixing? Who would be able to fix them?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 10:31 am    

Did you check the battery? Whoa!

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 6:42 am    

I know a couple folks out here in SoCal that would buy them... working or not.

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 4:19 am    

I have a matchbox with added switchable fuzz circuit (Matchbox 3 ?).The components are very discrete and there are no chips just old transistors on a simple board ,so if yours is the same I'm sure it could be easily tested and repaired .Yes check battery status first .Dont leave batteries in pedals if they aren't going to be used for any lengthy period of time ....they can potentially leak and the contents ruin components and connectors.Regards Dave .

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 12:11 pm    

I'll buy them both, none working. I can fix them, or have them fixed. There well worth the expense. I Love them. Send me a PM if interested.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Tom Beck

Farmington Missouri
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 12:31 pm    

I recently sent miy 7a to Goodrich and they replaced the internal parts for $100. A new one is over $300, so it seemed like a good deal to me. The guy I talked to on the phone said that was the only way they repaired them at the time.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 5:25 pm    

I was going to post a new thread "Rethinking the Goodrich Matchbox". But since this is already up, I'll add my two cents here.

I used a Matchbox for years, but decided I could live without it after I got my first Hilton VP, which seemed to take up the slack in my sound. And then I moved from the Evans FET500 to the RE500 and since then the old Matchbox has been collecting dust.

I was thinking of selling it but decided I owed it to myself to dust it off, put batteries in it and see what it does to my sound before letting it go. Long story short, after a few gigs with it, it's an indespensible part of my rig again.

While I had mixed out some of the before/after difference by tweaking my amp settings, I found three things that made me fall in love with the Matchbox all over again:

(1) it adds dynamics and clarity to my guitar's sound that no amount of amp tweaking can duplicate;

(2) I can tweak gain and tone settings without reaching back and fumbling with my amp.

(3) By turning the Matchbox off, I can leave my amp's gain settings as is without worrying about coming off break and dialing up a slightly different gain level, which sound people universally hate.

The only down sides: one more patch cord to mess with, batteries that wear out and one more thing to remember to turn off. On balance, thats's no contest.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 4:48 am    

Tom Beck wrote:
I recently sent miy 7a to Goodrich and they replaced the internal parts for $100. A new one is over $300

$300+, really? Match Box, not Steel Driver?

Dean Severson

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 7:33 am    

I am using my Matchbox(2B) again, after many years of not. How should I wire it in? Before the Pedal or after?
It seems that I used to put it before the pedal, but now it seems to only work after the pedal. I don't recall how I used to use it. Thanks.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 7:52 am    

I've never placed the MB anywhere other than between the guitar output and VP.

Dean Severson

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 3:51 pm    

Thanks Drew, I'll experiment more with it. (maybe its a cable issue).

Jim Koviloff

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 4:03 pm    

I had problems with my MB 7A, and too thought the batteries, however on noticing when plugged in the plug receptor was grounding out. Moved battery retainers and all is fine.[/b]

Jim Koviloff

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 4:05 pm    

I noticed same problem with my 7A, and when I moved the battery retainers where plug jack would not touch, and all is good.