The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need recommendations for PP tuners
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 7:53 am    

I have an Emmons GS-10 and the ratio of the tuners isn't great. A couple of them "jump" when I'm trying to tune up just a little bit.

I'm looking for replacements that have a better tuning ratio and found the range of prices to be all over the map. Anywhere from $9 to $80 a set (I'll need two sets for 10 strings).

Are the more expensive Kluson tuners guaranteed to be better than what I'm listing below? With all things made in China, it's possible they are all made in the same factory and the brand determines the markup.

Allparts, $33 after shipping.

Generic, $9

What about these Gotoh locking tuners?

I'm open to suggestions.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 8:16 am     Re: Need recommendations for PP tuners

James Mayer wrote:
What about these Gotoh locking tuners?

In my experience, the Kluson-type tuners made by Gotoh are the best I've tried, but they are all of the standard type, not the locking variety. Not sure what you would gain with locking tuners, but it may be interesting to find out.

By the way, I also have a GS-10. Very underrated guitars in my estimation. Fortunately, its original Kluson Deluxe tuners with the black plastic buttons still work just fine. If they ever give up the ghost, I will definitely install Gotohs.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 8:27 am    

www.stewmac.com is the place to buy them. Very Happy

James Mayer

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 8:30 am    

My GS-10 has the black oval tuning heads as well. I really only have an issue with three of the tuners. The ratio on all of them could be better, but the jumping sharp is annoying.

I love the GS-10. Mine has some modifications/upgrades like a metal neck, adjustable legs, a removable armrest, 4 knee levers and metal edging. It's got some wear and tear on it but it sounds and plays great.

James Mayer

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 8:46 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
www.stewmac.com is the place to buy them. Very Happy

Erv, I'm looking on the stewmac site and there is more than one choice. I see "vintage style" and "scalloped".

I just found THIS thread from not long ago where the last post states the "vintage style" screw holes don't line up with an Emmons.

I don't see a non-vintage style besides THESE scalloped style. The dimensions between the screw-holes are listed exactly the same, 23.77mm.

HERE is a set of Gotohs where the measurement is 23.8, but they are more expensive and who knows if they just rounded up the mm?

EDIT: I misread that post. He's referring to a different brand altogether that has the misaligned holes. I know what to do.

Last edited by James Mayer on 30 Sep 2017 4:09 pm; edited 4 times in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 9:00 am    

Gotoh tuners will fit but you have to ream out the holes slightly. Very Happy

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 9:25 am    

I bought some Gotoh replacements for a '73 P/P I owned a few years ago. Got them from Stew-mac, and I believe it was this set:
http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Gotoh_Vintage-style_Oval_Knob_3and3_Tuners.html

Here's an original P/P side by side with the Gotohs. As you can see the Gotoh shaft is very slightly longer, but the ones I bought screwed right into the existing holes in the peghead. The actual hole in the tuner where the screw goes through was actually just a tiny bit tighter, but the screw 'pulled' itself right through as I tightened it. No issues at all.. I bought these about 3 or 4 years ago, I guess no guarantee they're still the same, so YMMV.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 4:58 pm    

The Gotoh tuners list as having a " modern improved" 15:1 gear ratio. What is the gear ratio of the standard Kluson tuners?

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2017 11:35 am    

Quote:
What is the gear ratio of the standard Kluson tuners?

I dunno, I couldn't really tell much difference from the stock ones. 12:1 maybe?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2017 3:50 pm     Need recomendations for PP tuners

I have been where you are and have the scars to prove it. I had problems with the tuners on a MSA born July 9,1974. It had Grover tuners, I ordered tuners that looked like the original with 1:18 ratio. when I got them they looked just like the originals, Wrong. Many companies to compete on the world market have went from Yankee inches to Metric measurements and specs. The new ones had a metric diameter on the sleeve that goes through the tuner head and the nut tightens on. I had to remove the tuner head bars and drill all the holes to the new metric size.
Then I went to put the little outside screw in and the head was so large it would not clear the gear housing. The guitar was assembled with hardened self tapping screws. I tried cutting them down in my little lathe, The screw was so hard it broke the tip off the tool. I ended up turning the screw in the lathe and grinding the head down with a Dremel and grinder insert. What looked like a 1 hour job turned into several evenings 3 or 4 hours to complete the job.
If you could find a store with a large assortment of tuners may want to take a tuner and dial caliper and do some precise measuring to make sure they will fit. Good Luck on this project and back Happy Steelin.