The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BJS bars and preferred bar sizes
Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 2:30 pm    

Hello all....
I know most of you probably already have a BJS bar, but if your are a newbie like me, or just have never invested in one, I would like to fully recommend a BJS bar!
I had been using a Dunlop 10 string bar that is 7/8"in diameter since I started playing PSG in May, but haven't been able to get comfortable with it. It would move too much in my hand and I would get cramps in the middle of my palm. So last Thursday at my lesson, my mentor let me try a bunch of different bars, since I was thinking the diameter was the thing that was bothering me. He has several bars ranging from 3/4" to 15/16" in diameter, and 8 string to 12 string bars in length (he said he just ahd to keep buying bars until he found the right one because 30 years ago when he started, he didn't know anyone who played). He has heavy bars and lighter bars.
When I tried the 15/16" bar, I could grip it better, but it hindered my sight line of the fret markers, especially up on the neck. Long story short, I figured out it was the length that bothered me. The Dunlop bar I have is shorter than his 7/8" 10 string BJS. and is just barely longer than my index finger.i ended up getting a 12 string 7/8" plain tip BJS.
The extra length allows the bar To be at the tip on my finger and still reach back to where my thumb and hand join, and I don't have to bend my index finger. The sustain on these bars are noticably longer. Not only does it feel better, but The BJS is smoother on the strings and the tone seems nicer too! I'm not great on bar slants on the PSG (or my dobro for that matter) but the added length makes it easier to do them IMHO.
Anyway, if you don't have one, a BJS bar is WELL WORTH the investment if you ask me. This is one purchase I'm very satisfied with!!!

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 4:02 pm    

Hey Jim, glad you have found the right bar for you...I couldn't agree more about the quality & service from Butch Gardner! I personally keep going back to my 15/16(standard weight), but hear quite a bit of compliments about the "John Hughey"?

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 5:04 pm    

Being as I have only been playing since May I found the wider bars were easier to grip but made it more difficult for me to see the Fret markers so I decided to go with the 7/8 inch 12-string bar because the extra length makes it much easier for my hand to hold onto while staying at the more narrow bar. If it weren't for not being able to see the Fret markers I really liked the 15th 16th and Bar. The bar that I bought ways I think 9.2 oz so the wait is plenty enough for me at least at this point I'm sure I will invest in some different diameter bars but I will stick with BJs

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 5:54 pm    

I use the BJS 15/16th's, and like you experienced, it is harder to see the fret marker. What I did to compensate, was to tune to 442 so I could back the bar up to where the fret marker just became visible. Been playing like this for about 4.5 of my 5 years playing. I don't focus as much on fret markers anymore as muscle memory and a good ear have taken over.
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 5:24 am    

Yeah Pete, I'm guessing after a bit more time, I will not need the markers as much wither...
I'm using the preset on my peterson tunwr, so I don't even pay attention to the cents...lol I have the jeff newman tuning information...but being I'm wet behind the ears, I'm just concentrating on intonation, my scales, movable patterna, bar control, picking technique and tone....you know the little things, hahaha

Dan Klotz

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 11:28 pm    

I hsve a couple of BJS 12 string bars. I was using a 15/16 but I felt like the 7/8 was easier to pick up when playing hammer ons or open strings. Butch is a class act and even let me compare 2 bars and send one back.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 7:43 am    

My favorite BJS bar is the 15/16" John Hughey model.
It feels just right in my hand and it is the same weight as a 7/8" bar.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 8:35 am    

I prefer the BJS 15/16" bar. Yes, it's larger and playing above the 15 fret can be tedious, but, with ear training and movement training it shouldn't be a problem. It takes practice like with everything else.

Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 8:40 am    

Been using the Hughey since they became available. Best for me.

Dan Chroninger

Blackriver Falls, Wisconson, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 3:33 pm     bar

just switched from 15/16 to 12 string 1" much easier to hang on to

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 3:38 pm    

I've used 15/16 for years.