The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pedal advice needed for a young player!
Mathew Jut

Netherlands
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 5:02 am    

Hello everybody,

When I bought my WBS around 3 years ago I also bought a Goodrich 120 volumepedal with potentiometer. In those 3 years I've already changed my potentiometer around the 5 times, and at the moment my volume pedal need a new potentiometer again. I've just changed them within 5 months and sometimes the sound is falling away, I guess the potentiometer have some wear and tear.

So here is my question, I'm thinking about buying a Hilton or Telonics volumepedal, just to get me save of not changing those potentiometers often. I also don't want to take the risk of having issues during a live Gig. I try to play everyday around two hours, just one hour to play those songs I already know and 1 hour to practice some new stuff. If I have school, my school goes first but I'm actually pretty motivated to play everyday.

I'm living in the Netherlanths and I also want to know the shipment costs etc. for those volumepedals.

What do you guys think about it because I really need some advice about the volumepedals and I don't want to change my potentiometer that often. (now the costs are like around €120 already)

With kind regards,

Mathew Jut

http://www.youtube.com/@MathewJut

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 5:12 am     pot

Mat .. I can say for me I have Telonics pedal and it works great, My steel never sounded better! had it for a couple of years now and I play everyday for at least 4 hours... no problems yet..

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 5:19 am    

If you like the sound you are getting with a volume pedal, then by all means install a Genuine Goodrich Volume Pot. It will be trouble free for years.

Now, if you want to add a buffer, then get you a Telonics volume pedal (buffer built in).
This will brighten your sound.

Both are great volume pedals.

Let me know if I can help with either of these.

Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 5:44 am    

I would also make sure I had one of the new pots in the goodrich. I have not had one fail or wear out yet even with years of constant use.

If I was into a potless pedal I would skip the telonics. There are some great options for volume pedals made in Europe that are much cheaper, more simple and reliable.

Check this out

http://lehle.com/EN/Lehle-Mono-Volume

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 6:23 am    

For years I used Goodrich pedals. I had issues with pots as well. The string breaks and is a bear to repair if you do not know how to do it. Two years ago I bought a Telonics Pedal and have never regretted it. They cost about $500 in US money but are worth every dollar. If you can I suggest you go that direction. Hilton pedals are great as well. Goodrich pedals have been around for years and they have sure lasted. I do not know if they still are around or not. It may be worth a call to them if they are. At any rate, best wishes and keep picking.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 6:50 am    

One of the reasons that the new Goodrich pedals (Omni) will continue to have a string activated pot is that it is a simple concept that Goodrich used from the inception of the company over 50 years ago that works perfectly and has an extremely low rate of failure (less than 1/1000) and is very inexpensive to repair. The previous issue with premature failure of the pots was due to the usage of the PEC pots and that has been resolved. The failure rate of the new pots is less than 1% in a year.

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 8:25 am    

My two cents.....

I have both Goodrich pot pedals (120 &L120) and Telonics. I used a Goodrich exclusively for 25 years and still do a lot, when all I want to do is set up and tear down quick, which is pretty much every time. Regarding those who believe changing a bad pot is hard, all I can say is I've done it to four pedals and it's easy now. BUT, if someone thinks pots going bad is a "problem" with that brand, well, it's not. Pots go bad or wear out just like tires on a car do.

As for changing the pot 4 times in your pedal, that's a lot. I'd be inclined to think you've incorrectly strung it so that the pot "slams" or clicks at its maximum or minimum throw or wiper travel. THAT would greatly reduce any pot's life expectancy in any volume pedal. You have to string it such it doesn't do that.

Telonics volume pedals are great. I use them for what few studio jobs I have and for big gigs. But in my old age I've come to believe the money we spend on gear for tone improvements is lost on all but our own ears. 99% or more of the audiences can't tell when you're playing through something different than before. Oh, we talk about "being inspired" to new levels of playing because of a new piece of gear. That might be true to some degree but it's overrated.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 10:38 am    

I have both the Goodrich 120 model pot pedal and the Telonics. Both are spectacular pedals. If you replace the Goodrich pot with one of the newer style pots that use conductive plastic tracks it should last you many years. I've got over 6 years on the Dunlop HotPotz pot in my Goodrich pedal. These ultra reliable new conductive plastic pots are now made or distributed by many companies now, not just Dunlop.

I use my Telonics pedal exclusively now but can get an awesome tone out of either the Goodrich or Telonics pedal. In any case you ought to have a backup pedal at hand in case your main pedal goes down. The Moyo comes to mind as a small backup pedal that's easy packed as a backup (or a main pedal). Or perhaps just get a Telonics pedal and put a modern pot into your Goodrich as a backup!

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Telonics%20Pedal/Telonics%20Pedal.html

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Goodrich%20120%20Pot/Goodrich%20120%20Pot.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2017 2:19 pm    

If you,ve changed the pot that many times, you either got all bad pots, which is a little unlikely, or you are really pumping that pedal. This is from my own experience. I had almost the same problem when I first stated playing steel. A pro gave me the advise I,m giving you. Your pedal is just to lower the volume a bit when hitting a new string or chord and to rise the volume when needed. Try a new pot and start watching how much you,re using the pedal. Your pots will probably start lasting much longer. I hope this helps. Jack

Mathew Jut

Netherlands
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 1:30 pm    

I want to thank u all for the information. It really helped me out and I really appreciate it.

With kind regards,

Mathew Jut

http://www.youtube.com/@MathewJut

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 3:35 pm    

I have used Hilton pedals the 6 years I've been playing. Never a problem, and you adjust your amp to get the tone you want - and it's the same at all volume levels. Having said that, all the pedals mentioned have people whose opinions I trust who prefer them. I will add two more to the equation: There is the Stage One pedal that Bruce developed and Doug Earnest builds that has a gear drive instead of a string:
(http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/volume_pedal)

And there is the Moyo Tiny Pedal - much smaller than most:
https://www.facebook.com/Moyovolumepedal/

Both the Moyo and the Stage One use top notch pots.

Good luck!

Aaron Johnson

Lemoore, CA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 7:51 am    

Thank you for posting about the Moyo pedal Doug. That was just what I was looking for!

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 9:43 am    

Bob,
Just wondering if you have used that pedal with the jacks in the front rather than the side. Did it interfere with getting it close enough to the pedal bar to be comfortable?

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 9:56 am    

I use a Telonics for performing, and an old Ernie
Ball pedal (with the jacks on the side) for woodshedding. I have another Ernie Ball in the trunk of my car, in case I ever need it.

The Ernie Ball pedals are not as nice as either a Goodrich or a Telonics, but they get the job done. (Think of a VW Bug compared to a Lexus or Mercedes. Ultimately the bug will take you where you need to go, even it it's not in style.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 10:25 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
There are some great options for volume pedals made in Europe that are much cheaper, more simple and reliable.

Check this out

http://lehle.com/EN/Lehle-Mono-Volume

Thank you Bob,didn't know that ! Probably my next vp:
https://www.thomann.de/be/lehle_mono_volume_90.htm

Barry Anderson

Nevada City, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 3:35 pm    

Can I hijack this thread a little?

I have a Boss FV-100 volume pedal that I've had kicking around and used for standard guitar for years. I just acquired my first steel about 6 months ago and I'm starting to feel like this is not the best tool for the job.

Taking after what the OP said he's been doing, I'm thinking about swapping the pot, hoping that will help things out. Is that something that can be done fairly universally?

And if so, what are the top choices for a pot to install?

Thanks! And please let me know if I should move this to a new thread altogether.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 6:09 pm    

I am totally happy with my Hilton.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 9:30 pm    

Barry Anderson wrote:
I have a Boss FV-100 volume pedal that I've had kicking around and used for standard guitar for years. I just acquired my first steel about 6 months ago and I'm starting to feel like this is not the best tool for the job.
I don't know what resistance the pot in the FV-100 has, but it is probably a low-resistance pot in the 100K to 250K range.

If the FV-100 works OK in all other ways but that it makes the steel sound dark, letting a buffer amp preceding it will solve the problem and "brighten" the sound. Any buffer amp for steel guitar will do.

I regularly use a Boss FV-50L (50K pot) preceded by a buffer, and have no loss of tone.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 1:20 am    

Been using Hilton for about four years now, no problems great pedal.As OP said , I too ran through about six pots in two years, eventually fitted Dunlop pot from Tom Bradshaw, it is my spare pedal, but has been in use now for two years by my friend who borrowed it, with no problems.Keith Hilton provides excellent service.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 8:29 am    

After breaking pot-strings in two Ernie Ball pedals on two consecutive nights, I bought a Hilton. Partially because those strings are just about impossible to repair. My Hilton has provided excellent service - no issues whatsoever.
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!