The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alan Akaka at HSGA in Fort Collins-Wow !
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 8:24 am    

MY first time to see him in person, and was blown away with his tone and obvious command of the steel guitar. Wonderful entertainer and interesting man...quite a history.
Its interesting to me that a pro can just touch the instrument and strum a chord and you can instantly hear the difference.....shows that it is all in the hands.j
This was a four string fry pan ! He can do more on 4 strings than most of us can do on 8-amazing player !

Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 7:27 am    

Btw most of the sets Alan is playing his Asher signature model...beautiful instrument and tone.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Jouni Karvonen

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 7:45 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys_obJJLPEw

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 12:40 pm    

He makes it look so easy doesn't he? I wish we would have had a ceiling camera focused on the player's hands. Maybe it's something we can figure out for next year.

I'm still full from all the food I ate at the luau last night! Such a wonderful time with such amazing players and good people.

Steffen Gunter

Munich, Germany
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 11:57 pm    

Thank you for sharing the link. I wish I could have been there, but at least I now can watch and listen from here. Especially the rendition of Paradise Isle was just fantastic.

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 5:49 am    

Paul Honeycutt wrote:
He makes it look so easy doesn't he? I wish we would have had a ceiling camera focused on the player's hands. Maybe it's something we can figure out for next year.

I'm still full from all the food I ate at the luau last night! Such a wonderful time with such amazing players and good people.

That's a great idea Paul! Your sound was darn near perfect again this year. Will see you again next year.

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 8:23 am    

Looks like Rick Aiello's tenorpan, I bet it sounded amazing!

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 11:32 am    

Mark Roeder wrote:
Looks like Rick Aiello's tenorpan, I bet it sounded amazing!

Yep, that's what it was. We missed you. Hope your problems are working out for you. See you again soon.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 3:54 pm    

I'll tell you ... there was some kind of "Vulcan Mind Meld" going on between Alan Akaka and Gerald Ross on Friday afternoon. I don't think I've ever heard such emotion "live" ... Paradise Isle was mind-bending.

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 9:41 am    

Rick Aiello wrote:
I'll tell you ... there was some kind of "Vulcan Mind Meld" going on between Alan Akaka and Gerald Ross on Friday afternoon. I don't think I've ever heard such emotion "live" ... Paradise Isle was mind-bending.

Can you elaborate? Was Gerald playing steel as well?

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 11:15 am    

Gerald was playing rhythm guitar ...

They seemed to be anticipating each other's next move ... accentuating each other ... hard to describe ...

Just beautifully done ...

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 12:03 pm    

What can I say? Alan is my kumu mele! I owe most of my lap steel technique to Alan.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Jerry Wagner

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 4:45 pm    

Great to meet up with you there Larry. And Aloha Jack, we missed you! Hope to see you next year. Alan is just such a great human being... Wow is right on! Having Vic, Ed & the Panua Ohana there along with Alan was a treat. Made me think of the Hawaiian families who toured the mainland in the early 1900's and introduced us to their incomparable music & culture. We stayed at the Boulder Chautauqua on Sunday night, where I searched through a history book in our cabin. There they were! "Hawaiian Entertainers" were included in the description of cultural events that appeared at the Chautauqua, established in 1898, by a group of Texans looking for a retreat from the summer heat.