The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Open G Tuning Modified To Include 7th and Minor Chords
John Towell

Pueblo, CO
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 8:38 am    

Hi String Pluckers ... I recently busted up my middle finger on my left hand and needed to play solely with my slide for awhile. I wanted to be able to play guitar with slide perpendicular to the strings but not sitting down with guitar on lap. The problem with an open tuning when playing this way is that one is constrained to major chords. Of course, if you were playing in a lap steel fashion, you can turn the slide at an angle to accomplish other chord forms. I have been tinkering with a modification of open-G tuning on a 12-string (but same thing could be accomplished on a 7-string guitar).Basically, I've added a 7th string and a minor string. What's interesting about this modification of open-G tuning is that I can play minor and 7th chords while still keeping the slide perpendicular to the string direction. This could be interesting to people who, for whatever reason, are restricted to playing with a slide. I have posted a short tutorial at: https://youtu.be/bxMt8XRCFIc ... and am doing an open mic this evening to try it out. I welcome any feedback. Thanks for your attention. Cheers, John

Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 10:12 am    

My slide tuning is basically low G but with the 6th string tuned to E instead of D. EGDGBD. Gives a minor triad EGB, minor 7th EGBD, plus all of the normal G chords based on root on the fifth string.