The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keeping picks on fingers
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 3:49 pm    

If you're using stick 'um, put it on the meaty part of your fingertips where they meet the blade, opposite the fingernail.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2016 1:12 pm    

John Limbach wrote:
Had this problem. Several months ago in a previous thread on this subject someone recommended Saddle picks. Got some. End of problem. They stay put and are comfortable to boot.

Guys, when recommending something like this, please include the web address.
http://www.saddlethumbpicks.com/

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2016 2:00 pm    

I might be repeating my self but a steeler friend Kenny Radas from Edwardsville Illinois suggests a 50/50 mixture of STA Flo liquid starch water mix. Take a small pill bottle about one inch in diameter and steel a foam cleaning pad from your wife and cut a small piece fold it and place in bottle. Pour a small amount in the bottle. Stick your thumb or finger between the fold pull it out then place pick on finger. If your picks are well adjusted I guarantee that with in minutes they will be difficult to pull off. Once amonth or so clean the sponge and bottle and put fresh liquid in as it tends to get sour. Your nose will be your guide.

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2016 2:15 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
John Limbach wrote:
Had this problem. Several months ago in a previous thread on this subject someone recommended Saddle picks. Got some. End of problem. They stay put and are comfortable to boot.

Guys, when recommending something like this, please include the web address.
http://www.saddlethumbpicks.com/

Good point. Would have if I'd remembered it. By the way, I absolutely hated the thumbpick, but fell in love with the fingerpicks. Go figure.

Finis Spier

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 12:55 pm     picks

try putting shrinkwrap on your picks works great hair spray also works i keep a small bottle in my packaseat

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 12:59 pm     Re: picks

Finis Spier wrote:
try putting shrinkwrap on your picks works great

I have some of the late Andy Hinton's powder coated picks, and some uncoated ones. I put shrink wrap on the uncoated ones, and must agree. It works great.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 10:18 pm    

I usually just go up to the bar at the beginning of each night and get a slice of lime or lemon and take it up to the stage and keep it on a napkin on my amp. Then I rub it all over my fingertips each set before putting on the picks. Dipping your fingertips in beer works too or better yet a shot glass of peach brandy which is stickier(and tastier). Both remedies are always close at hand...
My experience with Gorilla Snot was that it's sticky at first and then when my fingers warm up it seems to turn slippery. Never checked out heat shrink tubing but it seems worth a try.
Another thing I did for 40 years was keep my nails a little longer on the fingers that I use fingerpicks on so that the long nail tucks inside the curve of the pick and closes off the gap between the tip of the pick and a shorter nail which would tend to snag on the next higher string than the one I was attempting to pick. A few years back when I started playing Chapman Stick the long nails had to go so I had to get used to that and re-bend my picks accordingly. I'm good to go now as long as the picks stay put.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 7:15 am    

I keep a little bottle of acetone or naphtha and a cloth in my seat. It's good for getting the chicken grease off after a break if you can't wash your hands, and the picks stick good to the dry skin.

Will Cowell

Cambridgeshire, UK
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 7:24 am    

I find the harder you play with Alaska Piks the firmer they stay on. They feel more intuitive in terms of "where my fingers end" than conventional picks. It is early days yet but I think I may stay with them for a long time.

Alaska Pik: http://www.alaskapik.com/
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 8:37 am    

If nothing else works, there's always super glue. Whoa!

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 9:42 am    

I don't understand the problem...

... as my picks never move of fall off.

Well, to be honest, I might have had the same problem back in time, 25 or so years ago.

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 6:51 pm    

Another vote for licking the fingers. The picks just dont seem to loosen afterwards. My plastic thumb picks dont need anything. Georg, those finger picks hardly extend at all. Do you get better control that way?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 9:11 pm    

David Weisenthal wrote:
Georg, those finger picks hardly extend at all. Do you get better control that way?
Yes, much better. I feel these picks of mine combines the best of playing with picks, with most of the advantages of playing without picks, in how I can shape the attack sound.

The narrow and straight tip produces a more "short and snappy" attack compared to regular picks - no sliding on the strings. Also easy to soften, and almost eliminate, the attack sound, by angling my hand slightly so the fingertip touches the string immediately after the pick-tip.

Must mention that the pictured picks are made of stamped-out steel - unknown dime-a-dozen brand that came with an autoharp I bought back in the -70s.
I shaped them to fit my playing style when I, around 1991-92, after 10 years of playing still didn't feel comfortable with regularly shaped soft alloy picks made for PSG playing, regardless of type and brand - I have tried them all.

Initially very difficult to file, shape and polish right, these steel picks have only needed light tip-polishing every few years since then.

Have tried shaping regular, soft alloy, picks this way a few times, but they don't last - get scratched up and totally useless within hours.

Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 4:43 pm    

A quick lick will make the pick stick. I've been using the same picks for about 5 years and they always stay put.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 8:27 am    

Fred,
It works for me! Very Happy

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 9:50 am    

Eyeglass pads. Snug and comfy and you can get 'em at any Walgreen's. When they wear peel 'em off and put on a new set. And keep ya fingers outcha mouth. I know where they've been.

Lyle Dent

Little Rock ,Arkansas
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 3:22 pm     Keeping picks on

Frog or Gorilla snot work great!

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 8:17 pm    

I know this is an older thread but this is an on going problem with many. I never had any trouble with picks falling off. I always use thin ones .018 gauge and give them a little extra squeeze after I put them on and the thin gauge forms to my fingers well. I cannot do this with heavy gauges therefore I don't use a heavy gauge finger pick. They dig into my fingers and have a gritty metallic sound. I like the .018 Dunlops. I have some Andy Hinton half coated .018 that I love. Reduces even the slightest irritation. What I always have trouble with is a slippery bar before the show starts. It feels like a slippery ice cube I can't hold on to so what I do before I start is breath some heavy breaths on my bar and the heated moisture gives it some traction. After the first song I don't have that problem anymore. Guess my bars need to be heated. Anyone making a bar you can control the temperature on?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 7:28 am    

David,
I agree with you on the lighter gauge Dunlop picks.
Also, have you ever tried a zirconia bar?
I find them to be more used friendly than a steel bar.
Up here on the tundra, they don't feel as cold on the hands and are easier to hold onto. Very Happy
Erv

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 8:31 am    

Thanks Erv! I'll get me one of those and check it out.

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 11:15 am    

Carl Kilmer wrote:
I've always used (heat shrink tubing) on National picks and
on Dunlop brass picks finger licking always does the job. Very Happy
The most comfortable thumb picks for me are Dunlop "Ultex".

Another plus... heat shrink will stop the pick from tearing your cuticles. As you well know this is a painful problem!

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 1:17 pm    

Thanks! I'm gonna try the heat shrink too. I got some of that in my electronic repair box. Never thought about that. I guess you need the bigger sizes to go over the pick.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 2:27 pm    

I figured this out the first day I brought my buddy's 8-string Fender home back in May. It took me a day or so but then I commenced to sticking my fingertips in my mouth and it has bee all good since. I did order some of the Tool Magic this morning because I still have a little problem with the thumb pic rolling around. I like the medium tortoise shell (plastic) Nationals the best as, they are the best fit. But, the guy above was right: They do wear out and ya have to chuck em.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 3:50 am    

Pete,I just ordered some"Blue Stuff"from Amazon!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 4:51 am    

Keeping picks on is not a consistent problem. I have times when they don't stay on and other times that they stay on and feel just right. My wife gets something called "Sort Kwik". Its sold in sewing or quilting shops. It works pretty well. The only problem I have is that I try to keep the picks on for the whole gig. It causes and problem when nature calls!